Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
bob
College Starter

2K Sports: Do you get what you pay for?

I'm a pretty cheap gamer in that I can be happy with older games for quite a while, and rarely go out and buy a game in the first six months that it is out. For example, until the Summer of 2004, I was still playing my Dreamcast games for my console sporting needs.

So when Sega decided to release NFL 2K5 for $20, I was very happy. So happy, in fact, that I bought it and every other Sega Sports game this year the day it came out. I wanted to support a company that was selling what amounts to an updated version each year for a low price.

But I have noticed something regarding these games. While the in game action is really good, the out of game management and season modes have major bugs. Just three examples:

College Hoops 2K5 - About 13 games into the season, while simulating the computer controlled games, the game freezes. Over and over again. No matter what I change, no matter where I simulate from, it freezes. Legacy over.

College Hoops to NBA - Draft class import fails (I know this has been fixed via Xbox live, but I don't have that).

NHL 2K5 - In an International Tourney, I played a game, saved, and turned my machine off. When I came back, my players stats had been saved, but not the game I played. I was back to 0 - 0 with all my players having stats.

I was angry when I heard about the EA / NFL deal. So angry that I decided to boycott EA games (easy for me to do since I don't buy tons of games). But I have to say that I have never heard of an EA game having these kind of issues in the management modes.

So I guess this is more of a rant than anything... I guess the price cut was possible because of a cut in the testing budget, but I still get angry about easy to find bugs, especially show stopping ones like the college hoops one. But this leaves me with only three "bad" choices:

1) Don't buy any more sports games (leaning this way)....
2) Buy Take Two (Sega) games, regardless of bugs.
3) Pay lots for EA.

Really, it comes down to the fact that both leading sports game makers have pissed me off....

Last edited by bob : 08-14-2005 at 01:55 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

EA games arent' exactly bug free either.

In my opinion the Sega games were well worth the $20 this year. Not perfect, but far better than alot of $50 games out there.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:58 AM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, when you say "Pay lots for EA", it was already decided by Take Two (& SEGA) to raise their games back up to $50 for 2k6.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Btw, when you say "Pay lots for EA", it was already decided by Take Two (& SEGA) to raise their games back up to $50 for 2k6.

I didn't realize that decision was made - is the upcoming baseball game going to be $50?

Also, I hadn't heard about EA bugs like that.... Any specifics?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

How about the "offense changes formation with audibles many times before the snap, tiring the defense out" multiplayer exploit in Madden this past release?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
bob
College Starter

forgot about that one....
Old 02-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
I didn't realize that decision was made - is the upcoming baseball game going to be $50?

Not sure about the baseball game, because IIRC, last year's wasn't the $20 variety. They may have the baseball game as the last $20 game they offer.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

While not exactly a bug, many people who paid $50 for the NCAA football football this year found it to be nearly unplayable (or at least requiring extensive slider modification).

There several threads here on the robo-defensivebacks, low completion rates, etc...

You'll also find some complaints about Madden. Haven't heard much about NBA Live.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

I tend to think this year's might be $20, just because they'll still have to contend with EA for sales, but that you're going to see premium pricing once the MLB "exclusivity" kicks in - which, not so coincidentally, is likely to be when the next-gen systems hit the market.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I tend to think this year's might be $20, just because they'll still have to contend with EA for sales, but that you're going to see premium pricing once the MLB "exclusivity" kicks in - which, not so coincidentally, is likely to be when the next-gen systems hit the market.

Hmm... that raises an interesting point. Since Sega can't pay for licensing for the NFL, I wonder if they could financially release their football game for $20 again at a profit (not sure how much money they actually save by not being able to purchase the license).

They'd still take a hit in sales w/out the license, but at $20 I bet alot of savy people would pick it up again assuming there's an option to download real names, players, etc... unofficially.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #11
bob
College Starter

I remember a game back in the nintendo / super nintendo days that let you play high school, college, and pro football. Of course there was no official liscense, but it was pretty good as far as modeling the system. Especially college football, with its bowls, conferences, and schedules.

Wonder if they could do that for next year.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Hmm... that raises an interesting point. Since Sega can't pay for licensing for the NFL, I wonder if they could financially release their football game for $20 again at a profit (not sure how much money they actually save by not being able to purchase the license).

They'd still take a hit in sales w/out the license, but at $20 I bet alot of savy people would pick it up again assuming there's an option to download real names, players, etc... unofficially.

It depends on whether or not they already had the license for the 2006 season, similar to how EA can release a licensed baseball game *this* year, but not in future years.

That said, I tend to think that two things are in play here.

1) If this fall does see the release of three new consoles, it's possible that Take-Two's sports titles will be released on the new consoles instead of the current generation, once we reach that point. If they release games for both consoles, as EA Sports did back in 2000 with the PlayStation and PlayStation 2, then we could see a dual pricing tier: budget on the current generation, premium on the new consoles.

2) Has Visual Concepts made enough of an impact at $19.99 this year to be able to compete on content, rather than price, in the upcoming round of sports titles? I don't know if one year is going to be enough to swing loyalists away from the EA brand. They may say "Huh. Well, that was an interesting experiment, but I'm not ready to pay $50/switch from EA Sports yet."
Old 02-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
How about the "offense changes formation with audibles many times before the snap, tiring the defense out" multiplayer exploit in Madden this past release?

Interesting. I haven't played many games online with this version of Madden, but I do remember one guy doing that. I just figured he was an idiot. I didn't know about it making my defense tired.

Why are there so very many jackasses in the world...
Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
bob
College Starter

Well, I see that NHL 2K6 is listed at $29.99, up $10 from last year.... Maybe they will use some of that money to test the game this year.

Incidently, NHL and NBA 2K6 for Xbox 360 are listed at $59.99 each.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #15
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Well, I see that NHL 2K6 is listed at $29.99, up $10 from last year.... Maybe they will use some of that money to test the game this year.

And NCAA Football 2006 was $49.99, and the dynasty mode had QB not throwing more than 10 ints ina season, and QB rates over 200 for the top 20 qb's. EA is no saint. There are always major bugs in their games.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #16
bob
College Starter

True, although I don't recall any EA game completely freezing during simulation that led to a dead dynasty (2k5 hockey and college hoops do that). Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #17
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

I wouldn't bet on those prices because I've also seen places list NCAA 2K6 for the 360 for 19.99 and a controller for 99. I would wait till around November to comment on prices for 360 products.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:58 AM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Interesting. I haven't played many games online with this version of Madden, but I do remember one guy doing that. I just figured he was an idiot. I didn't know about it making my defense tired.

Why are there so very many jackasses in the world...

Because, by that same token, there are a bunch of people who justify it by saying "it's in the game, so you're the idiot for not exploiting it, too; i can do it, thus it's not cheating"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #19
bob
College Starter

Crap, looking at some videos for NHL 2K6, and it sounds like they are using the same fake announcers from the NFL 2K series for this game. I hated those guys.

Oh, and I read that they will have the new rule changes, but not the new CBA rules. And the rosters in the release will be from July 1st, so that really sucks if you don't have Xbox live (they expect to have roster updates at the time of the release).

Last edited by bob : 08-14-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #20
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Crap, looking at some videos for NHL 2K6, and it sounds like they are using the same fake announcers from the NFL 2K series for this game. I hated those guys.

Oh, and I read that they will have the new rule changes, but not the new CBA rules. And the rosters in the release will be from July 1st, so that really sucks if you don't have Xbox live (they expect to have roster updates at the time of the release).

It's the HNIC announcers for 2k6. Bob Cole and Harry Neale .

And they dropped the price to 19.99 for PS2 and XBox.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/n...s_6130595.html
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
It's the HNIC announcers for 2k6. Bob Cole and Harry Neale .

And they dropped the price to 19.99 for PS2 and XBox.

Hockey Night in Canada wasn't the first thing I thought of when I read that.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #22
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I just picked up NHL 2K5 at EB. Lets hope its ''bug'' less.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:22 PM   #23
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
I just picked up NHL 2K5 at EB. Lets hope its ''bug'' less.

I hope you mean 2K6
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 09-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #24
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
I hope you mean 2K6
My bad 2k6.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:38 PM   #25
dervack
College Prospect

If anyone has picked up NBA 2K6, can you tell me if you can import payers from NCAA 2K6 this year. EA took that feature out of Live this year, so I'm wondering if it's 2K6.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #26
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Talking

Finished my first few games.
Game 1:
Det 2
NyI 3
lost this one in OT on a pt blank shot by NY.
Total SOG
DET 46
NyI 54

Kazakstan 5
Ukraine 4 (Another OT loss. Came back from 2 goal deficit with 3 min left.
lots of hitting in this one. Lost after face off slapshot with 1: 30 left in OT 1

SOG
Kaz 55
Ukraine 51
So far I like the more offensive output (ie more SOG).

Last edited by CHEMICAL SOLDIER : 10-01-2005 at 12:00 AM.
CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:23 AM   #27
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

In the last version I had many SOG but I had very few goals. Rumor is the goalies aren't as godlike this time around. I'll give it a rent soon. I also will be renting NBA, as I'm hoping the NCAA hoops game is improved. We'll see...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #28
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
In the last version I had many SOG but I had very few goals. Rumor is the goalies aren't as godlike this time around. I'll give it a rent soon. I also will be renting NBA, as I'm hoping the NCAA hoops game is improved. We'll see...
I went to the store with an intent to buy NBA until I realized it was 40 buchs then I decided to buy NHL. Needless to say i've been very happy so far,providing there arent any major bugs or anything.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #29
General Mike
Pro Starter

Interesting shot numbers you have there. I've been playing a franchise with the Flames, and with 5 minute periods on pro, I've been averaging around 28 shots for the games I play. Maybe it's because of the style of play I go with.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 10-04-2005, 06:14 AM   #30
Emiliano
College Prospect

Anyone picked up NBA 2K6? I'd really want to hear some impressions, especially about the 24/7 mode.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:24 AM   #31
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

NBA2k6 is so... nice and realistic. Beats the crap out of Live. The shot stick is great.

It's a great improvement from 2k5.

i don't play 24/7 so... I don't know what to say.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've enjoyed playing the 24/7 mode in NBA 2K6, but I'm not sure why. I mean, what's really the point of it? It's still fun, though. Anyway, I really enjoy the game overall. The only problem I've read about is that the CPU is terrible about subbing players in and out. For instance, I read on the Operation Sports forum (perhaps take with a grain of salt) that someone played against the Heat and the CPU only played Shaq for 26 minutes. I think they had said that they were on 10-minute periods, so 26 minutes out of 40. That's not terrible if it was in fact 40 minutes per game, but it is a little bit low.

The only full game I've played, it was against the Heat, and I don't think Shaq played more than 30 minutes out of 48, but I'm not positive. I was getting blown out, though, so there was really no reason for the CPU to play him much. However, in the time that he did play, he only attempted about 8 shots. I know it was only one game, so I can't make a definite call on it, but if that happens regularly, it's certainly a bigger problem than minutes played.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #33
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Interesting shot numbers you have there. I've been playing a franchise with the Flames, and with 5 minute periods on pro, I've been averaging around 28 shots for the games I play. Maybe it's because of the style of play I go with.
I go a little shot happy when I have possession of the uck.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:14 PM   #34
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
If anyone has picked up NBA 2K6, can you tell me if you can import payers from NCAA 2K6 this year. EA took that feature out of Live this year, so I'm wondering if it's 2K6.

Sorry, I meant to answer this question in my previous post, but I forgot to. Yes, you are supposed to be able to import a draft class. I say "supposed to be" because this feature was broken in the XBox release version last year. It was fixed through a patch. I guess we'll see if this feature works properly this time around when NCAA 2K6 is released next month.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 AM   #35
Emiliano
College Prospect

Thanks guys. Anyway, I'd want to pick it up ONLY to play 24/7, I don't really care about other stuff. Basketball it's not that appealing to me in "normal" mode on console, I really prefer the "street" thing. I also have NBA Street V3, which I enjoyed a lot. Last year I had a lot of fun with ESPN's 24/7.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #36
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Can someone explain to me what 24/7 is? How is it different than regular console basketball?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:32 AM   #37
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Can someone explain to me what 24/7 is? How is it different than regular console basketball?
Basically, you create your guy (body, face, equipment etc...) and play street basketball with NBA players and playground's legends (don't know if they're real or not). As you advance in your career, you improve your attributes, receive prices like jerseys, shoes... Most of the games are 1-on-1, but there are some special rules in some games. If you "beat the mode", you can import you guy in the NBA, starting as a free agent, but I've never done that.
Anyway, last year's was a lot of fun and it seems this year's too, though they haven't added much. I think I'm gonna pick it up soon...
Old 10-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #38
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca

The other thing is that if you don't play 24/7 for a while, you player will start to lose some of his skills, and regress to a lower level player. Kinda like one of those digital animals that you have to take care of, but a basketball player version.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 AM   #39
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ah - interesting. I haven't purchased any of the NBA series for years, so I wasn't aware of this. Thanks.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote