Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

Terrell Davis & Willie Parker: WTF?

How do you think these guys (among others) made it so far without apparently displaying much of their talent until they became NFL starters?

Is it the fault of their college coaches for not recognizing their ability sooner? The players' fault for not listening or utilitizing their talent until they reached the highest level of football? Are these guys just stuck behind stars (yes, in Davis' case... he was behind Garrison Hearst)? Or just a case of being a truly late bloomer? Are they products of an NFL system, or failed in a college system that didn't take full advantage of their talents?

Sorry if these questions are all over the place, but I was thinking this weekend about just how can total unknowns that played in college become stars well ahead of guys that they played behind.

What are some other good examples of guys who were totally unheralded at the college level, but have become stars in the NFL? And I'm not talking about guys who started but never got any press... I'm talking about guys who weren't even starters or good performers in college, but then came to the NFL and became quality players.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

See Rod Smith
Old 09-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
What are some other good examples of guys who were totally unheralded at the college level, but have become stars in the NFL? And I'm not talking about guys who started but never got any press... I'm talking about guys who weren't even starters or good performers in college, but then came to the NFL and became quality players.

Priest Holmes was behind Ricky Williams for much of his college career. Went undrafted, despite showing some pretty good ability in the games he played.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

In the case of Parker, it's most definitely the fault of UNC and the coaching staff there. He was a great talent coming out of high school and wound up buried on the bench at UNC by a staff that until last year had its head in the noose.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
henry296
College Starter

In the case of Parker, he was recruited by one coach at UNC and then a new coach came in with a different offensive philosophy and felt Willie would not fit.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Outside of physical freaks, successes are largely based on circumstance.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i don't think we should shine Willie Parker's Canton bust yet. He's only played in what...3 games? And two of those were against crap defenses, the game that was against a good D he came away looking quite average.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Priest Holmes was behind Ricky Williams for much of his college career. Went undrafted, despite showing some pretty good ability in the games he played.

Priest Holmes spent time "behind" others at Texas because he was often injured. He played a lot when healthy.

And he finished up two years before Ricky Williams. He was never behind Ricky because Ricky played FB his first two years at Texas.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Priest Holmes spent time "behind" others at Texas because he was often injured. He played a lot when healthy.

And he finished up two years before Ricky Williams. He was never behind Ricky because Ricky played FB his first two years at Texas.

He finished one year behind Ricky at Texas. Priest's first year in the NFL was 98, Ricky's was 99.

I believe that Priest started as a sophomore at Texas at TB, and Ricky was a freshman FB. Priest got hurt, Ricky moved to TB, and started there the rest of his career. Priest was never hurt again, but Ricky was the established starter.

Ricky was certainly the leading rusher at Texas for all of his four years. There is no way he could have ended his career as college football's all time leading rusher otherwise.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
He finished one year behind Ricky at Texas. Priest's first year in the NFL was 98, Ricky's was 99.
Ricky's last year at Texas was 1998. Priest's last year at Texas was 1996. Priest spent much of 1997 injured (spoken to above) but played in 7 games with Baltimore.

Quote:
I believe that Priest started as a sophomore at Texas at TB, and Ricky was a freshman FB. Priest got hurt, Ricky moved to TB, and started there the rest of his career. Priest was never hurt again, but Ricky was the established starter.

Ricky was certainly the leading rusher at Texas for all of his four years. There is no way he could have ended his career as college football's all time leading rusher otherwise.
No. Shon Mitchell was the starting TB for Texas Ricky's freshman and sophomore years. Ricky was not the leading rusher for Texas his freshman year, Shon Mitchell was.

Last edited by Huckleberry : 09-26-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #11
Huckleberry
College Starter

dola -

As for the original post, I think it should be clear at this point that running back success has a boatload to do with your OL and your opportunities.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Ahman Green was behind Lawrence Phillips at Nebraska...
Old 09-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Ricky's last year at Texas was 1998. Priest's last year at Texas was 1996. Priest spent much of 1997 injured (spoken to above) but played in 7 games with Baltimore.

No. Shon Mitchell was the starting TB for Texas Ricky's freshman and sophomore years. Ricky was not the leading rusher for Texas his freshman year, Shon Mitchell was.

Yeah, you're right.

Still, Priest was healthy in 96 (according to his bio) and the #3 tailback at Texas behind Williams and Mitchell. I know Ricky was listed as the starting FB, but got more carries than anyone else on the team as the deepest man in the Texas backfield. That makes him the #1 TB.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:50 PM   #14
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Would Antonio Gates fit into this category? I thought I heard Sunday night during the broadcast that he didn't play any college football, but I might not have been paying enough attention.
Ajaxab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
Would Antonio Gates fit into this category? I thought I heard Sunday night during the broadcast that he didn't play any college football, but I might not have been paying enough attention.

I think he just played College Basketball
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #16
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
Antonio Gates is highly overrated. I'd take Jason Witten over him any day of the week. If San Diego had any WRs he wouldn't get half the passes he received last year.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #17
Hurst2112
College Starter

Parker had a good game last year, which got everybody's attention. The kid has some talent. No, I wouldn't consider him the next big thing in RBs. He has a great line to run behind and the jury is still out if he can hold his own during a years worth of starts...much less repeat a decent season for the next decade.

He keeps his legs churning, something that most RBs can't do nowadays.

rock
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #18
Raiders Army
Coordinator

If he is a starter, he'll end up like Terrell Davis. A flash in the pan. There's a reason he wasn't the starter in college...whether it was injury-proneness or work-ethic or whatever.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:34 PM   #19
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't Chris Simms back up Major Applewhite?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #20
Rasmuth
n00b

hell...look at Gary Brown (remember...Oilers...started 8 games and ran for 1000 yards in those games) and a few more 1000+ seasons....

played defensive back at Penn State because they had so much depth at Running Back...who knows what he might have done if he'd played his natural position in college...
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:38 PM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Didn't Chris Simms back up Major Applewhite?
Isn't he backing up Brian Griese?

Brian Griese???
Old 09-26-2005, 06:49 PM   #22
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
How do you think these guys (among others) made it so far without apparently displaying much of their talent until they became NFL starters?

Is it the fault of their college coaches for not recognizing their ability sooner? The players' fault for not listening or utilitizing their talent until they reached the highest level of football? Are these guys just stuck behind stars (yes, in Davis' case... he was behind Garrison Hearst)? Or just a case of being a truly late bloomer? Are they products of an NFL system, or failed in a college system that didn't take full advantage of their talents?

Sorry if these questions are all over the place, but I was thinking this weekend about just how can total unknowns that played in college become stars well ahead of guys that they played behind.

Brad Johnson comes to mind. He has had a decent career and I don't believe he ever started at FSU (if he did it wasn't for long). Drafted in 9th round and has started for multiple NFL teams.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #23
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson
Brad Johnson comes to mind. He has had a decent career and I don't believe he ever started at FSU (if he did it wasn't for long). Drafted in 9th round and has started for multiple NFL teams.
Along those lines, Matt Cassell for the Patriots comes to mind. Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart were pretty good college QB's, so Cassell only got like 10 passes in his college career, still got picked 7th round and looks like he has the potential to be an NFL starter if he keeps improving.

Another guy on the Pats is David Givens, who was horrible underutilized by the Notre Dame coaches, even though he started.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote