Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-14-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
HornsManiac

Thumbs up Hook 'Em - TJ is ESPN and SI's National Player of the Year

This is really cool for us UT fans. He is only a So. and can't wait to see him back again next season, even after winning all of this. Wow!

ESPN story here

Sports Illustrated story is in this week's issue.

Get hooked!

HornsManiac

Old 03-14-2003, 02:08 PM   #2
scooper
College Benchwarmer

David West got robbed.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #3
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
David West got robbed.

More like Josh Howard.

Edit - After looking at the numbers, you may be right about West, although doing it in the ACC is a bit more impressive than the A10.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-14-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #4
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

No, you're wrong. David West got robbed.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #5
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown
No, you're wrong. David West got robbed.

Of course, you guys are both from Cincinnati, so your opinions may be a tad skewed.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #6
HornsManiac

Yeah, Yeah.

So did Hollis Price and Nick Collison, right?

HornsManiac
Old 03-14-2003, 02:16 PM   #7
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by HornsManiac
Yeah, Yeah.

HornsManiac

Both are more deserving than Ford, IMO. 15 PPG & 7 APG are not POY numbers, not to mention 41% shooting and 27% 3pt shooting. Ford just happens to be a media darling.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-14-2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:25 PM   #8
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Yes. Saw him on ESPN. I swear, 40% of the broadcast was spent with the commentators talking about Ford's smile. Seriously, it was insane the amount of air time went talking about his teeth.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:33 PM   #9
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, Yeah.

HornsManiac

Throw Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade into that group also.

Heck, Andre Emmitt had a better year than Ford did.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:35 PM   #10
rexalllsc
Banned

Ford is a very good player...I would've given it to Josh Howard, personally.
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #11
HornsManiac

It is not all about stats guys. It is about who means the most to their team. Without Price OU is still a damn good team. Ditto for Kansas and the others. However, Texas only goes where TJ leads them and that is the difference maker, IMO.

HornsManiac
Old 03-14-2003, 02:40 PM   #12
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
It is not all about stats guys. It is about who means the most to their team. Without Price OU is still a damn good team. Ditto for Kansas and the others. However, Texas only goes where TJ leads them and that is the difference maker, IMO.

HornsManiac

You should check out Howard @ Wake...
Old 03-14-2003, 02:43 PM   #13
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

DWAYNE WADE!!

Forget winning C-USA's Regular Season Title and achieving a Top 10 Ranking Nationally, without Wade, Marquette isn't even an NCAA Tournament Team...

Can you say the same about what Ford or Price or Collison, or anyone else minus probably David West? I didn't think so..

Wade is the Most Valuable Player in College Hoops this season and he and David West should've finished 1/2 in the Player of the Year Balloting.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 03-14-2003 at 02:53 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:43 PM   #14
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

HornsManiac

Ditto for West. A guy on the radio here the other day broke down the numbers for a few POY candidates. Almost to a man, their stats were down against their toughest competition. West's were up.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #15
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:

HornsManiac

That's what people who can't justify an award say ... it's all about the intangibles.

And the awards are not 'Most Valuable to His Team', they are 'Player of the Year'.

I agree that Ford is an excellent player, just not deserving of any Player of the Year awards.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-14-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #16
Sublime
High School JV

Hey now don't go forgetting Troy Bell of Boston College. He's put up great numbers this year, and the last three years!
Old 03-14-2003, 03:01 PM   #17
HornsManiac

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer755
That's what people who can't justify an award say ... it's all about the intangibles.

And the awards are not 'Most Valuable to His Team', they are 'Player of the Year'.

I agree that Ford is an excellent player, just not deserving of any Player of the Year awards.

It is not a coincidence that TWO prestigious organizations made him their player of the year. If this had been just one or the other some of these arguements would hold water. I don't think two awards is a fluke.

Also, Ford does play great under pressure. Just ask the Sooners about their home court winning streak Ford just broke by having an incredible second half.

HornsManiac
Old 03-14-2003, 04:33 PM   #18
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I have to agree with HornsManiac T.J. Ford is a baller period. The only person who should say you should win is "Melo" for cuse the best freshman this years as well as the best player in college basketball. But again T.J. Ford has his team looking at a possible number #1 seed on the field of 65.

noop
Old 03-14-2003, 04:47 PM   #19
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Illinois wouldn't be as good if they didn't have Cook.
So my vote would've gone to Cook.
Not that I am biased or anything.
And anyone who says that Illinois is not the best team in the nation is clearly misinformed.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:48 PM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Well, TJ really went out and proved he deserved the award. Kiss that No. 1 seed good bye.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:28 AM   #21
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

texas will still be a #1 seed, just like arizona

incredible ignorance on this board, i swear

and tj is the best player in the country. there is more to basketball than scoring, surprisingly
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:43 AM   #22
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by IMetTrentGreen
texas will still be a #1 seed, just like arizona

incredible ignorance on this board, i swear

and tj is the best player in the country. there is more to basketball than scoring, surprisingly

Come on. He's a very good player, and no doubt in the top 10...but best? I dunno.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:08 AM   #23
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

T.J. Ford is one of the top 2 players in the country the other is Carmelo Anthony.

noop
Old 03-15-2003, 10:40 AM   #24
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Noop
T.J. Ford is one of the top 2 players in the country the other is Carmelo Anthony.

noop

Looks like the Dukie V hype machine is in full effect...

You guys ever hear of a player named Ruben Douglas? This is a kid who was pretty lights out @ Arizona, but transferred to New Mexico because Gilbert Arenas came in and beat him out.

Ruben Douglas is averaging 28ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1 spg, 84% FT 40% on 3's....he had a game v. SDSU this year where he had 43 points and 12 boards...a very good player.

Josh Howard is def. my POY, though. He's leading his team in points and boards (20 and 8) in the ACC. Shooting 49% form the field, and 40% from 3. This kid is what college basketball is all about...I hope Wake wins it all.

PS - Anthony is pretty sick...

Last edited by rexalllsc : 03-15-2003 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:17 PM   #25
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Douglas

I go to San Diego State and saw Douglas live and in person. The guy is just good. He's deceptively quick and can straight up shoot from the 3. Draws fouls and can hit his free throws. I think he finished with 43 against us...and this is without any help from the rest of his team.

Another stud out of the Mountain West is Marcus Banks of UNLV. Quickest player I saw all year. True point guard, good build, I think he's going to do really well at the next level.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:36 PM   #26
Hammer755
High School Varsity

These news items came out the other day, but I missed them. I saw it today and thought it was relevant to the topic.

Big 12 Conference Basketball Coaches Select All-Big 12 Team

The Big 12 coaches selected KU's Nick Collison as the Conference Player of the Year, while the AP selected OU's Hollis Price as its Big 12 Player of the Year. Ford finished third in the AP voting.

I find it hard to believe that a player who isn't voted as the best player in his own conference can be worthy of the award at a national level.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-16-2003 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:45 PM   #27
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Still think that Brian Cook should be player of the year.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:47 AM   #28
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I always find it funny when Texas fans forget about their other players besides Ford. James Thomas is CASH for the Longhorns, yet their fans give him no respect whatsoever. And Mouton...he gets nothing though he's another fantastic player. Buckman and Boddicker are both two great young talents who will only get better.

You can tell a Longhorn basketball fan because they watch the games via ESPN's Sportscenter.

Trip
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #29
HornsManiac

Quote:
Originally posted by the_meanstrosity
I always find it funny when Texas fans forget about their other players besides Ford. James Thomas is CASH for the Longhorns, yet their fans give him no respect whatsoever. And Mouton...he gets nothing though he's another fantastic player. Buckman and Boddicker are both two great young talents who will only get better.

You can tell a Longhorn basketball fan because they watch the games via ESPN's Sportscenter.

Trip

LOL This is VERY true. However, Ford is THE heart and soul of the team. He does have a great supporting cast and Texas has as much quality depth as any other team in the nation, but Ford is still their leader.

Hammer755 - Ford finished third in the Big XII Coaches Awards, right? Well speaking of thirds let's add a third national award because T.J. Ford is also the CBS Sportsline National Player of the Year. Now we are up to three P.O.Y. awards so far and yet people still insist this is all a fluke and he is undeserving. I will never understand.

ciao

HornsManiac
Old 03-17-2003, 09:52 AM   #30
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Now we are up to three P.O.Y. awards so far and yet people still insist this is all a fluke and he is undeserving. I will never understand.

HornsManiac

Which award seems more valid, the ones voted on by the national media - who see the stars only via highlights and hype, or the awards handed out by the coaches - who scout and watch a conference's players game in and game out?
Old 03-17-2003, 10:02 AM   #31
HornsManiac

Quote:
Which award seems more valid, the ones voted on by the national media - who see the stars only via highlights and hype, or the awards handed out by the coaches - who scout and watch a conference's players game in and game out?

Hammer755 - This would make more sense if Ford was a flashy player, but he is about as blue collar on the court as any player you will ever see. He is far from being a tremendous scoring threat and is a very humble guy. Hell, he would much rather pass the ball than shoot it. If you go and watch highlights of the guys mentioned in this thread Ford would probably be the least impressive, so I don't think Sports Center is where you go to declare Ford your P.O.Y.

Also, Ford is an underclassmen and I am just speculating now, but I think the coaches would rather see their upper classmen win awards, because those guys have contributed more to the conference than their young counterparts.

HornsManiac
Old 03-17-2003, 10:10 AM   #32
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
If you go and watch highlights of the guys mentioned in this thread Ford would probably be the least impressive, so I don't think Sports Center is where you go to declare Ford your P.O.Y.

HornsManiac

I'll tell you exactly where Ford clinched the awards - the final Oklahoma-Texas game. It was nationally televised, Ford almost singlehandedly brought the Horns back from a late deficit, and snapped OU's home win streak. That performance became the media's perception of him. And if you honestly don't think Ford is the media darling among the candidates for POY, then you've been in Austin too long.

The people who saw him play on a regular basis decided that he wasn't even the second best player in his own conference, which to me diminishes the validity of the media-voted national awards.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-17-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:17 AM   #33
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Now, here's one to chew on: What if Dean Houston was eligible for College Basketball POY????
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #34
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Uh, just reaffirming my vote for Dwayne Wade as National Player of the Year..

A definite "Man against Boys" last night in the 2nd Half against Pitt..

This guy will do some serious damage in the NBA... and soon.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:08 PM   #35
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight

Preach on M-Knight!!!
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 06:57 PM   #36
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight

A definite "Man against Boys" last night in the 2nd Half against Pitt..

This guy will do some serious damage in the NBA... and soon.

Ditto against #1 Kentucky!! (Quoting myself.. )

Last edited by MylesKnight : 03-29-2003 at 06:57 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 09:17 PM   #37
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

TJ Ford undeservedly won the basketball heisman, the neismith award last week

texas is also still playing in the tournament

tj also led the #3 team in the country in scoring, and the big 12 in assists. and steals

texas was winning by double digits when tj left the game with 4 fouls last night. when he cmae back in texas was losing. we ended up winning by four, with a tj steal clinching it

if you want scorers, look elsewhere, if you want the best basketball player in the country, tj is your man
Old 03-30-2003, 12:09 AM   #38
tucker342
Pro Starter

All I can say is Wade was robbed!!!!!!!!!

If Texas and Marquette meet in the championship game (which they won't cause Texas will lose to MSU or Syracuse who's going to beat Oklahoma tomorrow), Wade will prove who the real POY should be.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:59 AM   #39
HornsManiac

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that a player who isn't voted as the best player in his own conference can be worthy of the award at a national level.

Hammer755, I bet it really tore you up to hear he won all of these media awards plus the Neismith. There is simply too much to deny him his due respect. Ford is as good as any other player in the game.

I hope Texas plays Marquette as well, but my prediction is Kansas wins to meet Texas for it all.

Once again the Big XII proves it is the greatest conference in college sports.

HornsManiac
Old 04-02-2003, 09:12 AM   #40
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Syracuse, 3-0 vs. Big 12 this year. (Mizzou by 7, OK St. by 12, OK by 16, TX by ?, KS by ?)

Best conference? Not yet.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 04-02-2003 at 09:24 AM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:21 AM   #41
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Hammer755, I bet it really tore you up to hear he won all of these media awards plus the Neismith. There is simply too much to deny him his due respect. Ford is as good as any other player in the game.

Yes, it simply tears me apart. How will I ever go on? Perhaps I will go into hiding, re-emerging under the pseudonym Smoltz29.

It still doesn't change the fact that in the eyes of the coaches who saw him the entire season on a game by game basis, he was the third best player in the conference. In fact, this should cement in your mind the idea that he is college basketball's media darling.

I've never once denied Ford any respect. I said that he is an excellent player, just not the best in the country, or his conference for that matter.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:09 PM   #42
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Finally, my life has meaning!!! TJ Ford misses out on an award!!!

Xavier's West Named AP Player of Year
Old 04-04-2003, 06:35 PM   #43
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:

Once again the Big XII proves it is the greatest conference in college sports.

I see one football NC, and and 0 bball NC's lately...Best? This year, yes...but this fluctuates from year-to-year.

Overall, the Pac-10 has the top 3 schools as far as NC's (Ucla, USC, and Stanford). And these schools play roughly the same amount of sports as other schools...

Last edited by rexalllsc : 04-04-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:11 PM   #44
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i remember when the pac-10 was good. it was chapter 8 in my us history book
Old 04-04-2003, 10:58 PM   #45
tucker342
Pro Starter

you are talking about all sports right? If so how many are those are from waterpolo, cause doesn't Stanford win that every year?

I'm excited for that Marquette Vs. Syracuse matchup.....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote