Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 AM   #1
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
14 year old getting a little

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregiste...2686758451.xml

On his 14th birthday, boy weds 42-year-old

03/30/03

By KAREN TOLKKINEN
Staff Reporter

PRAIRIEVILLE, La. -- Lauren Roberts was riding in a car with her aunt, Daina Sancho, to Blockbuster one day last summer when Sancho said, "Lauren, I have something to tell you. I'm in love with I.V."

Daina was a 41-year-old mother of two. I.V., the nickname for Irwin Vincent O'Rourke III, was only 13 years old. It was a good thing, Roberts said, that she wasn't driving, because the news came as a shock.

"I told her to be careful," said Roberts, a slender 17-year-old redhead and mother of a 1-year-old baby girl. "I didn't want her to get in any trouble."

Just a few months later -- court officials said it was October or November -- Daina, I.V. and I.V.'s parents showed up at the Ascension Parish Courthouse in Gonzales, seeking a marriage license.

"I said, 'No, I'm not signing that,'" recalled Judge Ralph Tureau. "Not without knowing more about it."

The couple left. On Jan. 10, I.V.'s 14th birthday, they showed up at Mobile County Probate Court. By this time, Daina was 42. Unlike Louisiana, Alabama does not require a judge to approve marriages in which the bride or groom is under age 16. Alabama merely requires that the minor be at least 14 years old, and that both parents sign.

I.V.'s parents, Irwin Vincent O'Rourke Jr. and Mary Alice Bordelon O'Rourke, were willing to sign.

"If you've met the man of your dreams, why wait?" his father told the Mobile Register.

They were struggling to get back on their feet after suffering severe health problems and financial setbacks when they lived near New Orleans. I.V.'s father had been operations manager for the New Orleans Novelty Co., which sells pinball machines. But, he said, he suffered heart valve damage and could no longer work. He blames a diet pill for his heart problems.

In 1995, they filed for bankruptcy, according to court records. In 2001, they lost their modest brick house in Kenner to foreclosure.

In Kenner, I.V. had been an honor roll student. He'd been on a school Quiz Bowl team that finished third in the state in 2000. He was part of a Duke University program for gifted children.

"He was just always a really happy person," said Emily Osborn, who was in his honors classes in fifth grade.

He wasn't the type of boy the girls had crushes on, nor was he terribly popular, but he participated a lot in class and was never mean to people, she said.

The family moved to Gonzales, a small city about 60 miles northwest of New Orleans. I.V. met Daina through her 14-year-old son, Justin, from her first marriage, said her ex-husband, Jules Marc Sancho. Daina and Marc, married 18 years, divorced in 2000.

She met Sancho when she was 15 and he was 16, and they quickly became a steady couple, Sancho said. Their parents were active in Mardi Gras societies, and they both attended Catholic schools.

Daina dated here and there after the divorce, and had an on-again-off-again relationship with her ex-husband, said Sancho and Roberts. Sancho and Roberts said Daina started acting much younger than she was.

She started using teen slang and got a thumb ring, Sancho said. She wore youthful clothing and started listening to teen music, according to Sancho and Roberts.

"She loves my friends and my friends adore her," Roberts said, sitting on the stoop of her house one late morning in February.

Teens and others in their early 20s drifted in and out of the house, some with piercings and tattoos, all sharing an easy, lazy banter. It was close to noon, but some were just waking up. They'd been to New Orleans the night before, Roberts explained.

Daina is "out there," as in not your typical 40-something-year-old mom, said a goateed Donovan Hunter, 21, who said he goes from job to job. "But in a good way. She's like old, but one of us."

A slender woman of average height, Daina has long dark hair that she sometimes pulls back from her face into a ponytail. She works as a dental hygienist and sells Mary Kay cosmetics on the side.

In 2001, she lost her parents and sister. Her mother and father died of cancer months apart from each other, and her only sister died of natural causes, her ex-husband said.

For a while after the deaths, she lived in the home her parents had purchased just around the corner from her ex-husband. The Sanchos had joint custody of their two children.

Late last year, she bought a brick-and-stucco home in an upscale Prairieville subdivision where homes typically start at above $200,000.

Neighbor Carol Dean, who buys cosmetics from Daina, said her school-age daughters play with I.V. and Daina's children. Dean's daughters say the Sanchos have a white rat named Peaches and at various times they've seen a pet tarantula, a pet scorpion and something that resembles an iguana in their home.

Dean said she had no idea that Daina and I.V. were married. She just thought Daina was taking care of him.

Daina and O'Rourke said they tried hard to keep the marriage a secret. O'Rourke said they weren't even planning to tell her 9-year-old daughter.

"It is unusual but it's nobody's business," Daina said during a brief telephone interview. "It's nobody's business who I fell in love with."

She said she feared that the information, once known, would jeopardize her job and possibly the custody arrangement of her children.

"We happen to be on the proper side of the law," said I.V.'s father. "It's in the laws of five states. Why is it so wrong?"

Actually, only two other states -- Kansas and Texas -- allow 14-year-olds to marry with just parental consent, a search of state statutes shows. Some states allow children to marry at that age or even younger, but set conditions: he or she must be a parent or expecting a child, or the minor must obtain a judge's permission.

If Alabama hadn't allowed Daina and I.V. to marry, they would have gone to another state, O'Rourke said.

His son is mature for his age, O'Rourke said, and he felt the couple had waited long enough to be sure that marriage was the right step. Prior to the ceremony, the minister, the Rev. Frank McCloskey, took them into a separate room where he asked them questions, O'Rourke said.

McCloskey, available for weddings at the Bragg-Mitchell Mansion, said he is an ordained priest with the Old Catholic Church, a denomination that split off from the Roman Catholic Church in the 1800s. It is very small, and he said his Mobile-area congregation meets in homes and consists mostly of friends and family members.

He would not discuss the ceremony, or whether he had performed marriage ceremonies for other minors.

When I.V. is college age, Daina will be in her late 40s. When she's near retirement age, he'll be in his 30s.

O'Rourke said he believes that Daina and I.V.'s relationship will last.

If not, "Divorce is easy," he said. "If it doesn't work, it doesn't work."

Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:37 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
"She loves my friends ..." Roberts said
LOL
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:38 AM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

"By KAREN TOLKKINEN"

a woman badly in need of some writing skills and a good editor.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 AM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Does she write about hobbits too?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
"By KAREN TOLKKINEN"

seriously. this is the most long-winded piece of crap I've ever read.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:45 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
"By KAREN TOLKKINEN"

Hmm... at the Mobile Register? Who can say?

Overall, I liked this observation in particular:

Quote:
"I told her to be careful," said Roberts, a slender 17-year-old redhead and mother of a 1-year-old baby girl. "I didn't want her to get in any trouble."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:25 AM   #7
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Frtiz, where do you find this stuff you post?

Tarkus
Old 04-01-2003, 10:39 AM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

Tarkus, I was thinking the same thing reading this... actually, it struck me - what sord of "keyword search" might have brought this article up?

Some possibles:

I.V.
14th birthday
fifth grade
goateed
pinball machines
Mary Kay cosmetics
white rat
thumb ring

But, it seems that most of these don't shine too favorably on Mr. Fritz... so perhaps there's a better explanation.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:40 AM   #9
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I think this was on obscurestore. I know I read it earlier today.

I actually dated a 47 year old when I was 20. I had to get the Mrs. Robinson thing out of my system. It was actually pretty cool, but I think it would have been sick and twisted had I done it six years earlier.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards

I actually dated a 47 year old when I was 20. I had to get the Mrs. Robinson thing out of my system. It was actually pretty cool, but I think it would have been sick and twisted had I done it six years earlier.

Holy jeez! You skipped right past Cougar and straight to Croc, eh?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #11
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:

it was, thank you for the link a few weeks ago!
Old 04-01-2003, 12:05 PM   #12
bbor
Pro Starter

I had to go back and re read the story...after i read the name "Sancho" as Sachmo

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:38 PM   #13
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:

LOL that's classic!!!

What a badly written article. Terrible!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:46 PM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
seriously. this is the most long-winded piece of crap I've ever read.

you mean the article, and not my post, right?
Old 04-01-2003, 01:47 PM   #15
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:

I slept with a 48 year old when I was 20 but we never dated

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Airhog

looks like this is older woman confession day at FOFC....

Count me in. I was 19 she was 41.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:09 AM   #17
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Smile

How you guys hooked up with older women that age? Is it that great?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:12 AM   #18
McSweeny
College Starter

can we do confessions the other way around next?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:43 AM   #19
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
How you guys hooked up with older women that age? Is it that great?

I must admit she was pretty damn good in bed. Skilled in the oral arts, not afraid of the taste. and really just enjoyed sex

I would reccomend any young man sleep with an older women. They can teach us alot

Last edited by Airhog : 04-02-2003 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:33 AM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
I would reccomend any young man sleep with an older women. They can teach us alot

More importantly, I would reccomend any young woman sleep with an older guy. We don't take long and really need it. I mean, where the fuck is our little "cause" ribbon?

Last edited by Fritz : 04-02-2003 at 05:33 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:04 AM   #21
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Here's the thing about older women, or at least my older woman.

1-She had a lot more money than I did. This was a good and bad thing. I always tried to pay for stuff we did, but she ended up kicking in more than her fair share. She also bought me a lot of presents.

2-I think older women who go out with younger guys are doing so primarily for the sex. So if you find an older woman who's interested in younger guys, she's probably also interested in having sex... lots of it.

3-If she has kids, it can be very weird. Her son was actually two years older than me, and did not like me at all.

4-She can get a lot of pressure from her peers about the relationship. She broke up with me twice because of her group of friends and what they were saying. After she tried to get back together with me a third time I told her it just wasn't worth the effort.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:23 PM   #22
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I have to agree. If you find an older women interested in a younger guy, its the sex thing.

The lady I met had a kid too 4 years older than me I think, and it didnt bug her. didnt really bug me etheir.

This woman didnt care about what anyone else thought. She was divorced, and just looking for a damn good time

Old 04-02-2003, 01:31 PM   #23
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

and both of you live in Oklahoma City.....
Old 04-02-2003, 01:49 PM   #24
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
and both of you live in Oklahoma City.....

what are you hinting at? that Cam is really an older woman, I and slept with her? Of course I did, who could resist a radio personality.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:41 AM   #25
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I hooked up with a 25 year old when I was 19 ...that old enough .
Old 04-04-2003, 11:44 AM   #26
Airhog
Captain Obvious

not even close pal

Old 04-04-2003, 05:11 PM   #27
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Damn, and I thought I was doing good for for tagging a 35 year old...(I'm 21)

Edited for grammar.

Last edited by ShovelMonkey : 04-04-2003 at 05:13 PM.
ShovelMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote