Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
Mountain
Mascot

Read the SI boards about CM4

Have you been over there yet? It's a friggin flame fest. It reminds me of the MOO3 message boards. I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem to bode well for the game. I love CM 01/02 BTW. Thoughts?

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:01 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

My thoughts are, the game is nowhere near as bad as they are making it sound. Yes, there are a couple problems I have with the game (mainly the audio, which I don't think is that good, and some of the ways things are now presented), but overall the game seems to be running very solid and stable. A lot of people around here probably aren't aware that when CM3 first came out, a lot of people trashed it and said it was terrible and were going back to playing CM2. Now people are saying the same thing about 4. Granted there are some things that could use improvement, but the game is still very enjoyable out of the box and I have full confidence that they will have the major issues sorted out shortly, with the minor tweaks soon to follow. Don't let what some of the people are saying over there dissuade you from buying the game. When you try to follow up on perfection, there are bound to be some disappointed people.

EDIT: Edited to clarify some of my remarks.

Last edited by ice4277 : 04-02-2003 at 04:04 PM.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #3
ColtCrazy
College Starter

When 01/02 first came out, there were bugs in it as well. A game of this magnitude is bound to have them. I'm currently downloading the enhancement pack 1. Seems like it took 3 or 4 updates before the last game ran smoothly too.
As long as the patches work with saved games, I'll be okay with it.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:06 PM   #4
rexalllsc
Banned

The increased player interaction is worth the $60.

Also, I hope SI improves on the sounds of the game...that's very important, IMO (the roar of the crowd increasing at the ball gets closer to the goal...)
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

There were very similar remarks when CM3 came out and a few updates later it was back to 'best game ever'.

I think people are just very passionate about the game. Yes it has some bugs, but nothing that doesn't appear like it can be addressed.

If you're not sure, wait a few patches, but I'm enjoying playing/experimenting with it now, and I look forward to starting a serious career probably w/ the next patch.

(Joe and Arlie might want to read some of the posts over there though just to feel a bit better about the TDCB attacks they endured).
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:32 PM   #6
Havok
College Starter

yeah i brought this up on another thread. Those people over there are also fanatical. I have a couple beefs with the game so far but its still an amazing game. They need to chill alittle
Old 04-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Flame fest? SI Boards? I thought that was not allowed?
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:02 PM   #8
aquavit
n00b

ice4277 is right. It was the same thing when CM3 came out. CM fans aren't the typical sport sim fan that the regulars here are used too. This game is one of the best selling the in the world so you get a lot of crazy fanboys on par with the fans of games such as Unreal Tournament, Starcraft, etc. So understandably the boards are a lot to wade through but there is good stuff there if you are willing to dig.
aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #9
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

From the SI board:

This game sucks...blah blah blah...the print is too small...blah blah blah...this game sucks...blah blah blah...you suck...blah blah blah...my mommy buys rough toilet paper...blah blah blah...this game sucks...you suck...my girl friend has a wort on her ass...blah blah blah...this game sucks...blah blah blah...you suck...
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:24 AM   #10
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Flame Eater
From the SI board:

This game sucks...blah blah blah...the print is too small...blah blah blah...this game sucks...blah blah blah...you suck...blah blah blah...my mommy buys rough toilet paper...blah blah blah...this game sucks...you suck...my girl friend has a wort on her ass...blah blah blah...this game sucks...blah blah blah...you suck...

My advice is to NEVER go into the general questions forum unless you have a specific problem you are looking for. Even then I would suggest going to the 'Technical Issues' forum. I think the average age in that forum skews to about 12 years old, at least the mentality of it. A much better place fore more reasoned discussion is the 'Your Shout' forum; a lot more civilized.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #11
andy m
High School Varsity

i have no idea what they are whining about. there are a few things in the previous version that have been dropped, but overall it is an improvement. it's practically the same game, given a new lick of paint and a 2D match engine. i really do not understand why someone would love cm3 (and it's post versions) and hate cm4. sure, i can see people being underwhelmed that it is not a massive step forward, but they haven't overhauled the game and made it suck.

do you know what? i think they are complaining because the game is a whole lot harder now and they can't win the league with West Brom or whatever.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:15 AM   #12
Easy Mac

I'm just pissed the MLS problems keep getting pushed farther down the board, that is the whole reason I bought the game.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 04-03-2003 at 07:16 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:20 AM   #13
moriarty
College Starter

Easy,

What exactly are the MLS problems? I haven't played with the MLS yet because I hear there are 'problems' with the draft, but I'm not sure what they are.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:24 AM   #14
Easy Mac

The draft, thats the whole reason for playing the MLS imho.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:48 AM   #15
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
Easy,

What exactly are the MLS problems? I haven't played with the MLS yet because I hear there are 'problems' with the draft, but I'm not sure what they are.

you can't draft players yourself, either you need to go on holidays or have all teams human controlled
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:36 AM   #16
moriarty
College Starter

Umm.. that's definitely a problem.

Unfortunately, if they hadn't planned for a manual draft, I doubt that will 'enhanced' any time soon.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:38 AM   #17
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by andy m
i have no idea what they are whining about. there are a few things in the previous version that have been dropped, but overall it is an improvement. it's practically the same game, given a new lick of paint and a 2D match engine. i really do not understand why someone would love cm3 (and it's post versions) and hate cm4. sure, i can see people being underwhelmed that it is not a massive step forward, but they haven't overhauled the game and made it suck.

do you know what? i think they are complaining because the game is a whole lot harder now and they can't win the league with West Brom or whatever.

That probably has a lot to do with it; once they discover the new Sigporrson or Robbie Keane from CM3, they will quiet down I'm sure.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:44 PM   #18
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
I'm just pissed the MLS problems keep getting pushed farther down the board, that is the whole reason I bought the game.

I dont' read the boards over there too often, but I did come across this posting from an SI rep:

Profiled posted:
"BTW Just to let you know, MLS will be improving in the future, I can personally vouch for it. It is by far the most accurate version of MLS in the CM series, but still has things that can and will be improved."

Good news. Now two more questions ... when and what?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:34 AM   #19
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

There are some issues with the retail version of CM4, although imho the game is still very stable and playable straight out of the box.

I apologise for any problems that people might have with the game and obviously I will rectify them as soon as humanly possible no matter how minor they might be.

PS. 'Profiled' is Phillip Foose, an American coder we hired around 3 months ago and our new MLS expert
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:43 PM   #20
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Marc,

Just wanted to say, thanks for putting out another quality product as usual.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:14 PM   #21
andy m
High School Varsity

Marc -

re: the changing score bug. i just experienced this for the first time. i was 1-0 up, and a player on my team got injured, and i subbed him. then i went back to the game and i was 1-0 down! then i went back into my tactics and exited and the score was correct again, 1-0 to me. then later in the game another of my players got injured and i made some changes and went back, and i was 1-0 down again! i went back into tactics and exited, and was 1-0 up again. i ended up winning 2-0 (first win of the season!) but that's irrelevant. just thought i'd throw this out there if it was any use.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:18 PM   #22
Katon
College Benchwarmer

I've been having freakishly bad luck with injuries in my Scunthorpe game, although experiences with Chelsea suggest that the problem might be with Scunthorpe rather than the game.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 03:55 PM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

"re: the changing score bug"
Andy if you have a save game on the day of that match I'd be very interested in taking a look at it if you could get it to me .... this bug is extremely rare (I've had all our 20 test machines looking for it for over a week now and no luck at all) and unfortunately near impossible to reproduce in-house, I know if I can get a save game from a match day which contains the bug then I will probably be able to track and fix it ... until then I'm loosing a lot of hair scratching my head
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 05:06 PM   #24
andy m
High School Varsity

unfortunately not. sorry. good luck with fixing the bug! i am just glad that it didn't actually cost me the victory i'll keep an eye on it though, if i ever save before it happens i'll be sure to get a copy to you.