Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Dane Cook

I absolutely cannot believe there isn't a thread about this guy already.

I first saw Dane Cook do stand-up about a week after 9/11, out in L.A., and the guy blew me away. I went back week after week to see the guy, he was just that amazingly funny.

Since then, he has released 2 albums. The first, "Harmful If Swallowed" was absolutely brilliant. His follow-up, released less than a month ago, "Retaliation", hit #4 on the Billboard charts. Not #4 for comedy. It was the #4 biggest selling album in the country the week it was released. So he is clearly blowing up.

You'll know about him very soon, if you don't already (which you probably do). I think he is presenting at the VMA's this year, and also shooting a pilot (bout time he got his own sitcom).

The very interesting thing about him is his comedy is all hypothetical. No politics, no current events. It's more, "what if i set myself on fire" type stuff (but funnier than my example).

Anyways, he's on myspace, he's got a great clip he did on the Jimmy Kimmel show up on his website (danecook.com)...if you haven't heard of him, which would be surprising at this point I guess, check this guy out. Thank me later.

Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

FYI, I am NOT going to do a "Dane Iorg" parody thread.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Dane Looker
Old 08-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Never heard of the guy before. And probably would have been months, if ever, without this thread, since I'm not real likely to see him on Kimmel or the VMA's.

And while a spoken word album of any type reaching #4 in a given week is absolutely an impressive feat, it probably requires at least a little asterik since the label got lucky/planned well to debut on a pretty weak week -- the only other chart debuts that week were Young Jeezy (looks strong, now up to #3 from #4 last week, Jason Mraz (peaked at #5, already down to #38), and Babyface (peaked at #10, already down to #43). Timing releases makes a big difference sometimes, so I'm not sure how much "blowing up" can be read into that, looks more like he had a decent-sized hardcore fan base before the release & then he's managed a very respectable performance since the initial rush.

Like I said, he ought to be damned proud of the chart peak which is awesome for a comedy album but I don't see anything here that would put him in even Larry the Cable Guy or Ron White territory yet.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
aran
High School Varsity

Dane cook is the shit. I heard Retaliation and my face is still hurting from laughing so hard.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

I've heard Harmful if Swallowed and bits of his new CD (exaggerations). He's pretty funny.

"Where do I go?"

Last edited by korme : 08-23-2005 at 02:48 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

haha, yes. Dane Cook is probably one of the funniest men alive (3rd on my list behind Jim Carrey and Robin Williams) Have both CDs and I love them both. Still haven't seen him live...I will some day.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

I've been a fan of Dane Cook's since I saw him do stand up for one of those Cam Neely comedy specials (the ones Dennis Leary used to do) on Comedy Central. He's insanely funny. I have Harmful if Swallowed and will get the new one soon.

"Start you day the holy way with Christ Chex."
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #9
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i just checked his site, and saw quite a few kimmel clips. the one i was talking about is from may 27th of this year.

also, id post quotes of his bits, but really, its his delivery that puts it over the top. i hope ya'll go and download a few bits, or at least listen to a few on his site.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #10
Fouts
College Starter

Name doesn't ring a bell, but I'll check him out. Thanks.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 AM   #11
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

dane cook's alright.

i still prefer my pablo francisco, however.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:17 AM   #12
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic
haha, yes. Dane Cook is probably one of the funniest men alive (3rd on my list behind Jim Carrey and Robin Williams) Have both CDs and I love them both. Still haven't seen him live...I will some day.

Your list doesn't do him any favors :P
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:45 PM   #13
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I love Dane! Downloaded a couple of his jokes from Harmful if Swallowed and immediately bought it! Then i saw him at BU and was blown away, caused me to buy Retaliation. I still think my favorite joke of his is the Nestle Quick - Speed joke.

"Fuck this game!!"

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 08-24-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #14
Flasch186
Coordinator

i used to see him almost every tuesday night, for Free in LA at a place on the strip called Dublins.

Here in town, I went to see Ralphie May and saw him in the restaurant earlier that night and in front of my entire group I say, "Hey man, does Dane Cook still play Dublins?" and he says, well they moved up the street but he's there sometimes." and I go, "Man, he's the funniest comic Ive ever seen." He says, "Thanks Asshole." But we were chattin' it up all night, fuckin' halarious show.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I watched a couple of the clips on his site, one from Kimmel (which was just a bunch of screaming women) and his first appearance on the Tonight Show. Between the Tonight Show bit and the voice overs on his site, I am not sure I get it. Just didn't think he was all that funny. I'll watch some more clips and see if I can figure this out...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #16
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I borrowed a couple of CDs and found him to be a good mix of funny and not. Some of his jokes didn't do much for me, but others I found quite funny. I don't remember which, but one joke had me nearly in tears from laughing so hard.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #17
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
i used to see him almost every tuesday night, for Free in LA at a place on the strip called Dublins.

yeah, i discovered dane at dublins, too. they moved??
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #18
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
yeah, i discovered dane at dublins, too. they moved??

thats what Ralphie said, somewhere in the valley they went. That host guy was terrible, the little blonde kid...I wanted to choke him.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:53 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

He did a bit on the VMAs tonight
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #20
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I am flying into NY on 9/16 to visit with a woman. It just so happens that Dane Cook is performing that night at the Madison Square Garden Theater. My flight doesn't come in until 9:30 PM, but they just added a second 11:00 PM show. I'm not buying advance tickets due to the combination of Ticketmaster fees + the tight schedule. But I was thinking about driving up to the show to see if we could maybe get tickets there.

Does anyone have experience with this venue and know if this is even possible? are there generaly people scalping tickets there? Or would this just be a supreme waste of time on my part?

Last edited by mrsimperless : 09-06-2005 at 04:55 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #21
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
He did a bit on the VMAs tonight
From the clips I heard, it sounded like he bombed big time on that. Course he only had 2 mins so I'm not sure what he could have done with that.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #22
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
Does anyone have experience with this venue and know if this is even possible? are there generaly people scalping tickets there? Or would this just be a supreme waste of time on my part?

scalping? in new york city? NO!

dude, of course you can scalp. im pissed, im moving west just before his shows in new york. let me know how the show is! he's amazing live...
Old 09-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #23
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Voted five for the Kool-Aid Man

edit...what the hell? No stars? I want my damn stars!!!

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com

Last edited by AZSpeechCoach : 09-06-2005 at 08:50 PM.
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #24
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i dont like it when juice wears tights.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #25
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I like Patton Oswalt and David Cross.

I think Bill Hicks is make you think funny...but I did like the Goldfish carrying lincoln logs as opposed to the Easter Bunny when celebrating Easter bit as pretty funny.

I love Eddie Izzard stuff.

I have the Richard Pryor box set but never really found it funny funny...I know it was edgy for its time.

I have George Carlin but most of his stuff is too acrid.

Sam Kinnison wasn't too bad, but he's dated in that 80's F-You, I wanna shock, type vibe.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #26
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
The very interesting thing about him is his comedy is all hypothetical. No politics, no current events. It's more, "what if i set myself on fire" type stuff (but funnier than my example).

Well, thank God for that.

Seriously, I recently discovered him on Rhapsody where he is the most requested comedian and he really is amazing.