Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #101
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
If what we've seen from you and capsicum is moral righteousness, I for one hope fervently for decay. I think religous nuts who consign science to the dustbin are a great sign of righteousness, or nuts who think their religous beliefs should become the barometer of all policy.

In essence, I'm going to echo Glengoyle here- Christian Conservatives have ruined the individualist, libertarian leaning Rockefeller Republican party - and its a shame. One may well point that this is where the Republican party had to go to be electable, which raises another debate in itself.

And yet we hold a majority in Congress and were able to get W. elected to another term...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #102
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, this thread is going to go to hell quickly.

RIP, Judge Rehnquist.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #103
bronconick
College Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
It is my fundamental belief that the federal govt has gathered too much power, not only in itself but in their hold over the states as well. The SC, unfortunately, went along with much of it. In my simplistic opinion, much of what Congress have done the 40 years should be stricken down by the Court. I look for judges that are strict Constitutionalists, not liberal or conservative in their rulings.

Bingo. Of course, the entire debate will be Roe v. Wade. Not like I'd rather know their opinion on property rights, for instance, among other things.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #104
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
In essence, I'm going to echo Glengoyle here- Christian Conservatives have ruined the individualist, libertarian leaning Rockefeller Republican party - and its a shame. One may well point that this is where the Republican party had to go to be electable, which raises another debate in itself.

The Rockerfeller Republicans never won shit. In fact, today's Democratic Party is fast becomming what the Rockerfeller Republicans were (at least in terms of winning elections).
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #105
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
From a historical standpoint, a potentially interesting event may happen.

Judge Roberts may get nominated to become the Chief Justice, as well as "just" a Supreme Court justice, so that there will only need to be two confirmations made, rather than the two replacements and a new Chief. Anyone know if that has ever happened before?

I wonder how the sitting Justices would react to that. It makes sense, but most judges have fairly sizeable egos and it could be a tough pill to swallow for some of them (in private).

That's an interesting prospect.

I don't see it happening. But indeed it's interesting. Scalia seems the bet for CJ.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #106
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
That's an interesting prospect.

I don't see it happening. But indeed it's interesting. Scalia seems the bet for CJ.

Here is the article: http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8CDONCO0.html

In all honesty, it makes some sense. Rather than having three confirmation hearings beforing fielding a full set of Justices, this would only require two hearings.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:10 AM   #107
capsicum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
But I'm staunchly & adamantly in favor of legal abortion, so I'm probably the wrong guy to even get involved in this thread.

Whoa Dude

Glad im not your FOFC wife anymore or we'd be having an FOFC divorce about now
capsicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:54 AM   #108
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
yeah, this thread is going to go to hell quickly.

RIP, Judge Rehnquist.

I called it on page one...I never quite understood discussing politics with people who you don't agree with. Politics is one of those things you are set in, and aren't chaning regardless.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:00 AM   #109
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Um... the guy was a sitting Supreme Court justice... his death is ultimately of great significance politically (though I did say "RIP" in my first post). There is NOTHING wrong with talking about the political consequences of that death.

I agree with you...But this is FOFC.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:08 AM   #110
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Scalia will be Chief Justice. Roberts will be confirmed with little conflict.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:21 AM   #111
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
Whoa Dude

Glad im not your FOFC wife anymore or we'd be having an FOFC divorce about now

I thought you were Bubba Wheels' FOFC wife?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:21 AM   #112
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

MSN says that Roberts is now up for Chief.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:25 AM   #113
amdaily
College Prospect

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
MSN says that Roberts is now up for Chief.

Add this to the list of Bush's fuck ups. Now we could potentially have a Souter sitting in the Chief Justices chair, and have to appoint another moderate to fill O'Conners seat. We assumed when Rehnquist retired/died that a real conservative would be picked and that a fight would be put up for him. So much for that, this is just Bush looking to avoid another battle.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #114
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Roberts to be CJ nominee has been confirmed by all the major media outlets.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #115
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
The Rockerfeller Republicans never won shit. In fact, today's Democratic Party is fast becomming what the Rockerfeller Republicans were (at least in terms of winning elections).

A point I conceded, SFL - it may well be that the plank I like is unelectable by itself, which is a shame.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #116
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting choice - I was sure Scalia was going to be CJ - he's probably the most intelligent (albeit hypocritical at times) member of the court, and it was thought to be his for the taking. Isn't it gutsy putting a guy on straight as the CJ ?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #117
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Interesting choice - I was sure Scalia was going to be CJ - he's probably the most intelligent (albeit hypocritical at times) member of the court, and it was thought to be his for the taking. Isn't it gutsy putting a guy on straight as the CJ ?

Historically, it's not all that uncommon. I confess, I would love to see Scalia as Chief Justice, but a friend of mine who's more in the know than I am made this point: Roberts is a guy who's known as a great persuader. Scalia's not. By that standard, it makes a lot of sense to have a Chief Justice who's good at convincing others to go along with him.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #118
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

Not really. It is not uncommon. And Scalia was never really the best choice for CJ. What made Rehnquist one of the best CJ's in history was his organizational skills, his small ego, and his effectiveness in getting things done. Scalia has never been known for those qualities. A CJ isn't anymore important than the other judges except in organizational ways. His or her vote counts the same and there really isn't any extra control from being CJ. By the accounts I have heard, Roberts is much more in the Rehnquist mold than Scalia would have been.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #119
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Historically, it's not all that uncommon. I confess, I would love to see Scalia as Chief Justice, but a friend of mine who's more in the know than I am made this point: Roberts is a guy who's known as a great persuader. Scalia's not. By that standard, it makes a lot of sense to have a Chief Justice who's good at convincing others to go along with him.

Don't you think that has to hurt Scalia, though? I bet he was already sizing up the robe with special stripes.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #120
clintl
College Starter

I think one of two possible things is going on here:

1) The timing of Rehnquist's death is awkward for a lot of reasons. There's not much chance of getting through three confirmation hearings this fall, and the new session is due to start soon. O'Connor has apparently agreed to stay on the Court until her successor is confirmed, so with Roberts as CJ, there's still a chance the Court can start its session with a full set of justices.

2) Roberts impressed Bush in his interview even more than the Bush folks have let on, and moved ahead of Scalia as Bush's favored CJ candidate.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #121
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I really think all the talk of a Chief Justice Scalia is overblown. I'm sure it was discussed and debated, but no one I know in DC political circles ever thought it was a realistic suggestion.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #122
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards

That is a good point - Scalia's not one to seek compromise. I understand its been a role filled by newcomers in the past, but it seems strange to me that you would nominate a "noob" to the highest role.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #123
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Question - is Gonzales done as far as SCOTUS is concerned ? Does Bush go wide right (I mean stupid right, like Janice Brown) or go unconventational with an Orrin Hatch or something ?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #124
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Arizona senator John Kyl is a darkhorse. He's very conservative, but extremely well-respected in the senate. I could see Bush go that way if he doesn't have the fortitude to nominate someone like Janice Rogers Brown. Still, I think an unquestionable conservative will be nominated for Rehnquist's spot. I can't see that being Gonzalez.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Assuming the media reports are right about the CJ choice (which is probably a dangerous assumption on my part), I'm disappointed. Roberts was passable as a moderate choice for a "regular" seat, but has too many unknowns for me to be comfortable with giving him the Chief chair.

I suspect now I'll get the double whammy on the other seat -- a far right pick for the remaining vacancy ... but one that's only far right on abortion (where I part ways with the majority on the right) and provides little else for me to be happy about.

That possibility brings up something that's interesting (at least to me) --
here in Georgia, Sonny Perdue has already managed to send my support to a (D) (barring the unlikely emergence of an R challenger for the nomination). I have a tough time seeing how anything on the Federal level could do the same, but the simple fact that I even wondered about the prospect may say something about how easy it might be to royally screw up the future.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:08 PM   #126
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Assuming the media reports are right about the CJ choice (which is probably a dangerous assumption on my part), I'm disappointed. Roberts was passable as a moderate choice for a "regular" seat, but has too many unknowns for me to be comfortable with giving him the Chief chair.

I suspect now I'll get the double whammy on the other seat -- a far right pick for the remaining vacancy ... but one that's only far right on abortion (where I part ways with the majority on the right) and provides little else for me to be happy about.

That possibility brings up something that's interesting (at least to me) --
here in Georgia, Sonny Perdue has already managed to send my support to a (D) (barring the unlikely emergence of an R challenger for the nomination). I have a tough time seeing how anything on the Federal level could do the same, but the simple fact that I even wondered about the prospect may say something about how easy it might be to royally screw up the future.

Okay, who got JIMGA's password ?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #127
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Here is the article: http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8CDONCO0.html

In all honesty, it makes some sense. Rather than having three confirmation hearings beforing fielding a full set of Justices, this would only require two hearings.

He sure did call it.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #128
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
Add this to the list of Bush's fuck ups. Now we could potentially have a Souter sitting in the Chief Justices chair, and have to appoint another moderate to fill O'Conners seat. We assumed when Rehnquist retired/died that a real conservative would be picked and that a fight would be put up for him. So much for that, this is just Bush looking to avoid another battle.

Roberts is no Souter. No way.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, who got JIMGA's password ?

LOL, like I said, a quick pass through the notion makes it seem pretty unlikely ... but I'm a little concerned that such a review was even neccessary.

It's politics, where anything is possible (however unlikely it might be). After all, who could have possibly imagined that a Governor that I had such high hopes for could so utterly destroy my interest in the state GOP by the midpoint of his term?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #130
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
LOL, like I said, a quick pass through the notion makes it seem pretty unlikely ... but I'm a little concerned that such a review was even neccessary.

It's politics, where anything is possible (however unlikely it might be). After all, who could have possibly imagined that a Governor that I had such high hopes for could so utterly destroy my interest in the state GOP by the midpoint of his term?

What has Perdue done ? I admit not hearing much about him on a national scale - wasn't he supposedly one of the new Turks - the up and coming Republican governers ?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What has Perdue done ? I admit not hearing much about him on a national scale - wasn't he supposedly one of the new Turks - the up and coming Republican governers ?

He didn't exactly get off to a sparkling start when he chose to make his very first offical action ... a tax increase. From there, it's been a series of failures & disappointments for his supporters, from mishandling the flag issue to falling short of his education promises to signing the smoking ban bill (ftr, he had lost me before that).

The problem in Georgia seems to have been this -- after 100+ years out of power, when the GOP finally got that power ... they had virtually no one who actually knew how to lead anything. There seems to be a small handful, mostly younger from more rural areas, who at least have a clue but they're badly outnumbered by those who spent too many years as the opposition party & really have proven themselves ill-prepared for their new role.

For Perdue to lose me isn't neccessarily that big a surprise in some ways -- you have to remember that I have no real history with the Rep. party here, I'm far more akin to Zell Miller, basically a Southern Democrat who was abandoned by his party over the years -- but the unrest is reaching into the lifelong GOP'ers as well. When I had a very good friend, who has never voted a Dem for any office in his life (he's in his 40's) show me the check he wrote to one of the Dem contenders ... that's why I don't believe Perdue has a chance in hell of being re-elected. He's lost the coalition that gave him a victory AND he's losing parts of the party core, which isn't a formula that gives him a snowball's chance of winning another term.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #132
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
He didn't exactly get off to a sparkling start when he chose to make his very first offical action ... a tax increase. From there, it's been a series of failures & disappointments for his supporters, from mishandling the flag issue to falling short of his education promises to signing the smoking ban bill (ftr, he had lost me before that, but that is enough in itself not only to refuse to vote for him but wish I could beat his tubby butt).

Fix it for ya.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #133
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but, Jon- votes are always easier to give to the unnamed candidate than someone you don't like. As soon as the Dems put some sort of dope up against him, you'll be voting for him as the "lesser of two evils".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-05-2005 at 03:33 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:58 PM   #134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Yeah, but, Jon- votes are always easier to give to the unnamed candidate than someone you don't like. As soon as the Dems put some sort of dope up against him, you'll be voting for him as the "lesser of two evils".

SI

No, I don't believe so. If the eventual nominee is Lt. Gov Mark Taylor, I can't see myself voting for either of them, a pair of worthless fat bastards. If it's current Sec. of State Cathy Cox, I'll vote for her (obviously, since I'm ready to send her a check to help beat that p.o.s. she's facing in the Dem primary).
Old 09-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #135
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What you're talking about (I think) would be akin to the charges that exist in some states to cover vehicular homicide charges for unborn babies killed in car crashes & such - different circumstances but same basic principle. And I think charges like you're talking about do exist in some states, although I believe they're usually prosecuted against 3rd parties moreso than against the (prospective) mother.

But I'm staunchly & adamantly in favor of legal abortion, so I'm probably the wrong guy to even get involved in this thread. Basically just adding there I believe there is at least some statutes like you're talking about on the books in some states already (same kind of laws that allow crack mothers to be charged for using while pregnant).

Yep, Jon, that is true. Those laws are on the books in some states, but I've never heard of one being used against the mother (I'm not sure they've even really been used against crack mothers.. though I could be wrong). Say a mother changed lanes without looking, hit a car and the stress caused a miscarriage. What then (not you personally, because I know your views are opposite of the type of person I'm asking this of)?

I'm not being an ass, just pointing out that there are consequences that may not have been fully thought through.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #136
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
I very much agree!

All 3 of my babies were alive and growing from the moment of conception....dont know of to many lifeless things that "grow."
...cancer, hair, fingernails...
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #137
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

After a couple of threads on here today, I'm begining to envy him.