Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2003, 05:33 PM   #1
Calis
College Starter

Great CM4 Moments!

I am in the crowd of those too lazy to actually write a dynasty, but still wants to brag about how big of a badass he is.

Anywho, lets hear what everyones great CM4 achievements are at this early juncture!

I'll start off, I took over the England National side, something I've yet to try in a CM game. Well, so far I've played 6 games, and won 5 and drawn 1. The crazy part is, Michael Owen has played in 5 of the games, and racked up 12 goals. He just had a 4 goal outing against Liechtenstein. Where he scored 3 goals in 4 minutes, which is a bit crazy.

The bad news is, Beckham and Owen are both suspended for next game in the Euro Qualifiers for me, and of course that has to be the Turkey game.

Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Calis,

Since you've never played an international game before, you may not know the answer, but have there been any big enhancements to the international game? Is there a lot of media interaction? Do you find yourself getting in arguments with clubs over releasing players? The most fun I've had on CM came a couple versions ago when I took Ireland to the WC quarterfinals only to outplay Spain but lose on penalties. I hopefully will get the chance to manage an international team again and hope they have improved on it
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
rexalllsc
Banned

I won the Champions League two years in a row. Second year beating ManU in for the title:

Last edited by rexalllsc : 04-02-2003 at 05:41 PM.
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

To tell you the truth, I haven't noticed anything of the sorts. Granted I've only played about a half years worth of Internationals, but I haven't ran across any sort of media interaction at all.

I had remembered reading they were supposed to add arranging friendlies yourself, and even some training for National squads, but I don't think that got in, as I don't see how to do it.

I do feel kinda dirty for starting as a National coach, but I just couldn't help myself, for some reason I was fixated on doing it.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
rexalllsc
Banned

Those are cm3 moments, btw
Old 04-02-2003, 05:43 PM   #6
Calis
College Starter

Very nice Rex! I think Leeds could use your help in the real world.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:51 PM   #7
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
Very nice Rex! I think Leeds could use your help in the real world.

Yeh...considering nearly allllll of players on that team that helped me get that Champs Cup are gone...

Ferdinand, Woodgate, Keane, Bowyer...Fowler and Dacourt were sold in my game by the time I'd won 'em...but the 4 I mentioned were nails.

Did you see Ridsdale resigned the other day? Ugly. If they have to sell Kewell or Smith the fans will riot.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by rexalllsc
Did you see Ridsdale resigned the other day? Ugly. If they have to sell Kewell or Smith the fans will riot.

Wow, I hadn't seen that Talk about the mighty falling, that has to be one of the quickest downfalls of a team ever.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #9
Calis
College Starter

Yeah I saw that, and I honestly think they will be trying to sell anyone they can. They've just dug themselves in such a huge hole.

If they survive this year, they're in for a hell of a battle next year to stay up.

As an aside from that, I heard today that Man U are pretty set on buying Duff from Blackburn. I'm interest to see what happens with that, I'm a big fan of Duff, and if they did pick him up, that'd give them the excuse I think they want to get rid of Giggs, will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:15 PM   #10
rexalllsc
Banned

It's sad...they're kinda the team I adopted to root for...and now this.

Was it literally they make the Champs Cup (last year) or bust?
Old 04-02-2003, 06:40 PM   #11
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Haven't had too many CM4 moments yet, but my two best CM3 moments are:

#2) Managing Liverpool for 3 years, after winning the league the previous year, we hit a horrible run of form. We're eliminated from the League Cup, FA Trophy, and see us fall out of contention for the league title all in a couple of weeks time. Still in the Champions league, however. The media is all over my players, but no one more than poor Steven Gerrard. I continue to stand by my player, despite his poor performances, but the media won't let up. Get into the Champions League final against Lazio, and the day before I'm forced to once again defend Steven Gerrard. Play a thriller against Lazio, and both teams had several opportunities to put the game away, but it's 0-0 heading into injury time, when Gerrard blasts a 25 yard strike to seal the victory. You couldn't write a better ending.

#1) In year 4 of a 15 year Hereford dynasty, I had led them to 3 straight promotions from the conference, before hitting a wall in the 1st Division. A late good run of form gave us 6th and the last playoff position by one goal at the end of the season. The playoffs were hell. We're came out of the first round after a penalty shootout only to face Stoke in the final phase, a team that killed us 3 times already that year, where their striker Chris Iwelumo had scored 6 goals in 3 games. Injuries had shortened our bench, and I can't say I was expecting anything good to come of the game. My fears were realized when Chris Iwelumo scored and Stoke went up by 1 early in the game. It stayed that way, until I brought on little used Carlos Corazzin in the 80th min. He had been an important player for us the two previous years, however I had rarely used him during the season, but being Canadian he had a soft spot in my heart, and he was retiring, so it was his last game. Of course, he scores in the 88th min to give us an improbable tie. The game heads to extra time, where Chris Iwelumo finds my gk Nick Culkin off his line. In CM3 this means a sure goal, but Culkin somehow gets back and makes a fingertip save to preserve the score. On the ensuing rush, Corazzin sets up the winning goal, and Hereford go into the Premiership. I remember the details as if I actually watched the game.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #12
Calis
College Starter

Rex, basically yeah. They went out and spent all that money bringing in talent, and when they finally didn't make the CL, they were hosed.

I don't remember the numbers, but I'm almost positive they've posted the biggest loss in English Football history, for the last year I think, not sure how much it was, but it was a pretty frigging large amount.

I'm not sure the whole story on it, because they made some big time money when they started dumping people, but they were still losing tons. So I'm not sure what the whole story is, but needless to say, I see them getting relegated next year...as I think they can stay out of it this year, but they still might lose out.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:59 PM   #13
rexalllsc
Banned

When is the last time Leeds was in D-1?
Old 04-02-2003, 07:35 PM   #14
Calis
College Starter

I think Leeds moved out of Division 1 in '90, not sure though, so anyone feel free to correct me.

I'm not a Leeds fan, I've just been watching a lot of news about how bad they've screwed everything up. I think that's close to the right year though.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:10 PM   #15
CAsterling
High School JV

Every one of the CM4 moments is better than the last - I now hate me left back for scoring an own goal, love my striker, have transfer listed a defender for constantly being out of position and my goalkeeper is so bloody stupid I want to shoot the little toad.

CM4 is too addictive - I can feel a sick day happening tomorrow !!!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:10 PM   #16
Calis
College Starter

I'm actually becoming frightened by Michael Owen's performance in my game. He just scored 4 goals, and then 5 goals in back to back games. This brings his total up to 21 goals in 10 games for me, yikes.

Heh, funny thing is, I switched his position with Robbie Fowler, and then Fowler ended up putting in 7 in 3 games. I think I'm on to something here.

Granted, this has been against pretty bore teams mostly, the big goal games have been against such powerhouses as South Africa, Liechtenstein, and Macedonia.

The big one's coming up, I'm playing Turkey in Turkey, if I can manage at least a draw, I win the group. If I lose, I lose the group, gonna be a big one.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #17
CAsterling
High School JV

Just repeat the great England victory thaty happened tonight - a nice 2-0 victory over Turkey.
Good luck
Old 04-02-2003, 10:27 PM   #18
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I got it in the mail. That has been my greatest moment in CM4 so far. The installing of the game was a close second. Playing so far is in third as I have no clue what is going on. Where the hell are the Crawfish when you need them.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:20 AM   #19
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
Rex, basically yeah. They went out and spent all that money bringing in talent, and when they finally didn't make the CL, they were hosed.

this is pretty much it. now, the leeds fans need to be aware that if ridsdale hadn't pumped so much money in the first place (which he obviously didn't have) then they wouldn't have had those great years such as reaching the semi-finals of the champions league. as a football fan, i know that if i was offered 3 or 4 seasons of a great team in exchange for it all coming crashing down a few years later, i would take that. unless you are a fan of manchester united or arsenal, your team simply will never have prolonged success. the leeds fans that are whining about what ridsdale did need to get some perspective and see that if he hadn't mortgaged the future, they would have perenially sucked. it's like how the san francisco 49ers dallied with the NFL cap. it brought them success for a while (more than leeds though!) and then they had to rebuild.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:01 AM   #20
Katon
College Benchwarmer

My best minute so far would be winning the Worthington Cup with Chelsea on a last-minute goal by Carlton Cole. Of course, that could be beaten any day now by Scunthorpe, assuming Jimmy Davis does what he's supposed to.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:54 PM   #21
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CAsterling
Just repeat the great England victory thaty happened tonight - a nice 2-0 victory over Turkey.

Well, I managed to pull of a 3-1 victory, so England are Group 7 Champs.

But anyway, my question was, did anyone hear watch the game? I unfortunately wound up missing it, and I was very curious to hear how Rooney did, if he looked good out there.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:08 PM   #22
moriarty
College Starter

I listened to the game and if you believe the announcers he was simply 'amazing'. The text commentary on soccernet also called it the Wayne Rooney show (or something similar), and basically said he was making Owen look like the junior player.

It sounded like he was the burst of offensive energy that England was so desparately lacking (probably because they have so many Liverpool players). In the second half I got the impression that Rooney was getting a little shot happy (lots of 'he shoulda passed that one off' comments), but I believe he was named man of the match.

Overall an inspiring performance from what I could gather.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:34 PM   #23
3ric
College Starter

I saw the game, Rooney was indeed very impressive. His work rate is simply amazing and he creates boatloads of opportunities by dropping back and bringing up the ball himself.

His playmaking capabilities and field awareness was also very good, on one occasion he spied Steven Gerrard coming up the opposite flank and crossed the ball. Gerrard came at full sprint, but didn't have to break stride to control Rooney's cross as it arrived directly at his foot. Amazing.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:44 PM   #24
Calis
College Starter

Great to hear! I had read that he did superbly, but I wasn't sure if that was media overhyping, God forbid.

Glad to hear that he performed well, I think England was really in need of someone like him to shake them up a little bit. Sounds like he did just that.

Man, this kid's value is skyrocketing, Everton nabbed a gem on this one. Interesting to see how the next few years pan out.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #25
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Rooney was very good. Not really much to say other than what's already been said. His vision and willingness to share were good by seventeen-year-old standards, if not quite by England standards. He didn't quite get the man of the match award - that went to Steven Gerrard - but he was very, very good.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote