Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Ragin Cajun
n00b

TCY: This ever happen to you?

I dusted off TCY and was playing again. I usually play with a HIGH job offer setting but decided to play with it on LOW this time. Starting in 2004, I coached my alma mater through 2023 before getting fired.

I received my first job offer from an SCE (Solceismic Eight) school in 2023 during the offseason. I stayed at my alma mater.

With my low end starting team, I suffered losing seasons for four of the first five season, bookending 6-5 records around the losing period. I then began a climb that saw my record soar to 112-20, nine straight bowl games, and two national championship appearances. We were a perrinial Top 20 program. Then, graduating a senior QB and RB and our SO QB getting hurt in Game 1, we dropped to a 3-8 record. I rebounded with a 9-3 mark and another bowl game and another top recruiting class. However, stunningly, I was fired with only one losing record in the last 16 seasons.

Anyone seen this, and any reason why?

Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Maybe you were involved in sex scandal on campus...
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

12-11 in two years at a Top 20 program? Sounds like I'dfire ya too
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

I did start a new career yesterday w 1.3 played one season then tried to play the second and had only 3 QB's and for some reason the game wouldn't allow me to put all 3 in the depth chart so I couldn't begin season 2. I had computer recruiting on.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

One of the issues I have with TCY is that there isn't enough feedback letting you know how you are doing in the eyes of the school. Are you on the hotseat? Are you considered a legend that is virtually untouchable?

I think any new college football game should take a page from the EA NCAA series and provide some feedback to the user on their employment status. The 2 times I've been fired playing TCY it pissed me off greatly, as they were situations were it didn't seem at all justified to me and as such came out of left field. If there had been some feedback mechanism telling me that the school was running out of patience with me and setting some minimum goals for me to keep my job, at least I would've had some warning and perhaps could've made some short-term adjustments to hopefully provide a better immediate record (at the possible cost of longer-term sustained success).

I'd like to see TCY2 and BBCF incorporate some aspects of the EA NCAA model into their releases - provide more clear-cut goals for what is expected of you to keep your job and to get extensions on your contract. Ideally there would also be periodic "e-mail" you'd receive from your AD and/or prominent alumni telling you how you are doing in their eyes. I really like the way EA has developed the contract model in their NCAA game, spelling out realistic goals for your program and providing measured responses if you don't quite reach them - it seems to me that their logic is more reasonable and sensible in this area than TCY.

It got to the point that I was frustrated enough about the hiring/firing aspect of TCY that I couldn't get into it as a coach sim (i.e. trying to work your way up the coaching ladder by building up programs of various prestiges) and played EA NCAA games as a sim instead.

TCY2 and BBCF could also borrow a lot from the EA NCAA recruiting models as well, but that's a subject for another post.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote