Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Anybody ever go to a no hitter?

Just flew back from Minnesota and boy are my arms tired. Anyway, I attended the first game of the Twins-White Sox series in the dome. The Metrodome actually is not a terrible stadium. It has very good sight lines. Who knew!

So Freddy Garcia has teriffic stuff and I say to my friend even though I know I shouldn't, I tell him boy wouldn't it be something if he threw a no hitter. And she is like you just cursed him! But wouldn't you know it, the guy just kept on mowing people down so after every half inning I said the same thing. Wouldn't it be something if he threw a no hitter? This goes on into the eighth. Meanwhile, the white sox still haven't scored a damn run. With one out in the eighth , Garcia gives up a monster shot. The no-hitter is gone, the shutout is gone and of course the White Sox lose. Luckily only one random twins fan gave me a hard time about it. I believe he said something like, "Your white sox are going right down the shitter!" To which my response was something like, Oh yeah?

Long story short, thats the closest I have ever come to witnessing a no hitter. Anybody ever actually see one in person? Who was pitching and when did it happen?

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My then-fiancee (now wife) attended the Al Leiter no-hitter when he was with the Marlins. I watched the end on TV. And of course, she didn't fully appreciate what a unique experience it was.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
Buzzbee
College Starter

Does Pedro Martinez vs. Don Zimmer count?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Does Pedro Martinez vs. Don Zimmer count?

Ba-zing!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
Philliesfan980
Banned

Saw Kevin Milwood's no hitter a few years ago at the Vet. It was promptly after that he knew that he would float on air for the next few months and he promptly got fat and forgot how to pitch.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

I was like 8 or so when Dennis Martinez threw a perfect game against the Dodgers. Looking back at thebox score, those were some big names the Expos had at one time.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I worked late on a political campaign one night while my non-interested in sports friend took my ticket and witnessed Nolan Ryans last no hitter.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i went to a yankees game a few years back when abbott was supposed to pitch. for whatever reason, his start got bumped back a day, so i saw i think it was mendoza instead, or someone like that.

the very next night, abbot threw his no hitter. fucker.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I was at the Twins game a few years ago when Eric Milton threw his no hitter. Damn impressive, although the Angels had sat several of their starters for the game.

I also saw the infamous Joe Niekro sandpaper incident live. Really didn't have any idea what was going on while it happened, but that may have been my most unique baseball experience.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
Comey
College Starter

The only time I was at Fenway, I saw Hideo Nomo throw against the Blue Jays. He threw the first three innings perfectly, and it was a good experience.

That was, until my idiot friend turned to me and said "Wouldn't it be great if we saw a no-hitter?" I quickly replied "You idiot, we're not going to see one now!" Being a pitcher, I was horrified at this display of utter lack of pitching etiquette!

Sure enough, Shannon Stewart doubled off the Monster to open the fourth inning. It was the only Blue Jay to reach base the entire game. Nomo tossed a one-hitter, striking out 14 (including 5 of the last 6), with no walks.

I never forgave him for that.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
I was like 8 or so when Dennis Martinez threw a perfect game against the Dodgers. Looking back at thebox score, those were some big names the Expos had at one time.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #12
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

After leaving a Billy Joel concert at the indoor Colliseum in Oakland I saw a crowd gathering at the fence of the outdoor Colliseum where the As were playing someone. I learned it was the ninth inning and some pitcher had thus far no-hit the As. It held up for eight and two thirds when one of the As tagged a pitch for a homerun.

Closest I've ever been.

Oh in College ball I saw Bobby Jones pitch for Fresno State. The first batter hit the first pitch out of the park. Jones was walking around uncomfortably around the mound, picking at it, appearing to stall. The second batter promptly hit the second pitch out of the park. Jones called the manager out of the dugout. After a few seconds, the manager waved the umpire out to the mound.

After about a minute Jones left the mound for the dugout. I thought for sure he had some sort of injury. Then the ground crew came back out to the field, and rebuilt the mound. When Jones returned, not another batter reached first base. That was a pretty incredible performance.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
RGunner
High School JV

I was at the Kenny Rogers perfect game at the old Ballpark in Arlington back in the day where Rusty Greer made a diving catch to save it at the end of the game. It was unreal how amazing it was. I was only like 10 or so i dont remember how old but it was exciting.
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #14
Raiders Army
Coordinator

In Pony League it was damn near impossible to attend a no-hitter. We stood there until we either struck out or hit the ball.

In Minor League the chances were better, but since we couldn't throw very hard it never happened.

In Little League it was possible, but our team gave up a lot of runs as well as hit the ball a lot.

In Babe Ruth we threw a lot harder but there still wasn't one.

When I played American Legion ball, we came close and had a shutout, but no no-hitters.

Uhhhhhhhh.....nope.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am a Mets fan

that should answer the question
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was at a Royals/Twins game a couple of years ago where Eric Milton took a no-hitter into the 7th. It was 13-0 at that point but then it got interesting. After Milton lost the no-hitter, the Royals scored a nunch against him and the pen and had runners on when the inning ended. Couldn't quite finish the comeback, tho, and lost 13-7, 13-9, something like that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #17
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Dale Manning no-hit us in the opening game of the season of my 10-year-old season in the Eastern Little League in Columbus, GA. He struck out 17 (in a 6-inning game), walked one, and gave up one weak tap back to the pitcher. I am proud to say that the weak tap was mine. He started twice against us that season. In the other game, both times I came up we had a man on second and no one out, so I was ordered to bunt him over to third. Fine by me. We won that game 2-1, and I got to brag that I was the only kid in the entire league that Dale only struck out once that year.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #18
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

I threw a perfect game in little league and then two more no-no's in high school. I've never been to a professional no-hitter though.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #19
Simms
FOBL Commish

I was at the game in Toronto where Nelson Liriano broke up Nolan Ryan's perfect game bid with two out in the 9th.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #20
Tom Browning
n00b

I was at a perfect game once.
Tom Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Browning
I was at a perfect game once.

Beautiful

As an aside, I ran across this page about perfect games:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/pitching/piperf.shtml

Apparently, two before that, Mike Witt's in 1984 and Len Barker's in 1981 each had less than 10K fans in attendance. Even the Royals haven't had a game this year under 10K.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #22
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

I saw Kevin Brown no hit the Giants when he was a member of the Marlins. I think it would've been a perfect game had he not beaned Marvin Benard in the 7th or 8th.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #23
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708

That was the first game I ever saw on tv. I still remember the call, El Presidente, El Perfecto! Turns out one of my friends in university was at the game (didn't know him at the time).
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #24
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

closest thing i've been to a no-hitter was when i went to a Colts game and only field goals were scored. Most boring game I've ever seen.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:26 PM   #25
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I was at the Astros/Yankees no hitter when the Astros used 5 pitchers.

edit: In seats provided by Jeff Bagwell!. Thanks Jeff.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 08-26-2005 at 10:26 PM.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:48 PM   #26
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Apparently, two before that, Mike Witt's in 1984 and Len Barker's in 1981 each had less than 10K fans in attendance. Even the Royals haven't had a game this year under 10K.

I was one of the other 10K fans who were actually watching the Len Barker perfect game live on television.

Several years ago, my mom was in town and wanted to catch her Indians at Camden Yards, and we saw Baltimore's Mike Mussina come very close to a no-hitter, broken up in the 8th, I believe, by Sandy Alomar.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:49 PM   #27
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I've gone two three professional baseball games in my life, but one was a no-hitter. Late 90's, and the Best High School Minds in the State are assembled for essentially a state sponsored camp, where I was an RA over the summer. We go to a Pirates game against somebody I can't remember. It was the first no hitter in Pirates history since the 70s. Pirates won. And I remember thinking that is was blisteringly boring.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:53 PM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I just looked it up. For those who care about excrutiatingly boring games, it was 1997, July 12. Whoop-dee.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:40 AM   #29
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

When I was a teenager I was the warmup catcher for a guy the night he threw a no-hitter, also played LF in the game. Should have been a perfect game but our lousy 3B dropped an easy grounder. I knew warming the guy up he'd have a great game. He was hitting all his spots with really good movement. That's the only no hitter I've ever seen in person, and luckily got to be a part of.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #30
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Saw Kevin Milwood's no hitter a few years ago at the Vet. It was promptly after that he knew that he would float on air for the next few months and he promptly got fat and forgot how to pitch.

I was there for Millwood's no hitter too, with my two boys. Very cool. It's just amazing how the anticipation kept building and building the closer he got. You could almost feel it in the air. What was even better than the final out, I thought, was when he struck out Bonds to end the 8th inning. The place just went nuts!
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #31
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ
I was there for Millwood's no hitter too, with my two boys. Very cool. It's just amazing how the anticipation kept building and building the closer he got. You could almost feel it in the air. What was even better than the final out, I thought, was when he struck out Bonds to end the 8th inning. The place just went nuts!

Yep, I still remember it. Called 3rd strike looking on a 2 seamer that caught the corner of the plate
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote