Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
cincyreds
High School Varsity

CM4: Reviews are already coming in...

So far 3 reviews of CM4 have already surfaced and it so the first 3 are rating it 100%.

I added a link below.

http://www.gametab.com/pc/championship.manager.4/1275/

cincyreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
andy m
High School Varsity

100%? that's a bit rich. it's fantastic, but the game has issues. just go look at the official forums! it's certainly the best iteration since CM2 though, i'd give it 9/10 with scope for improvement. i'd give it 9.5 if they just added more divisions below the conference.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
cincyreds
High School Varsity

You think that these 3 reviews were juiced a bit to hype up the game so that folks would buy it, without giving any thought about whether to or not?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:48 AM   #4
moriarty
College Starter

Yeah, there's definitely some fanboys in those initial reviews. The ones I read didn't even mention some of the more obvious issues that have been raised on the CM forums.

In my short time with the game, I would say I'm definitely pleased so far. Seems like a tougher game to me (but maybe that's because I haven't figured out a proper tactics/training strategy yet). Transferring players is much more difficult and is probably a reflection of the real world financial situation, but it occassionally leaves me frustrated. 2D view is cool, but I probably won't use it to watch all the matches like I originially envisioned (takes too long to watch in real time). Instead I'll likely use it to analyze the highlights/tactics.

The only downsides are that it might be a bit too detailed if you can believe that (fortunately you can have the assistant manage most things if you don't want), and there are a few annoying bugs (like the entire first team being unavailable for a champions league match).

I expect I'll apprciate the in-depth details as I get more into the game. I'm also confident the CM guys will work out some of the real bugs, and not just the 'opinion' bugs that clutter the CM forum.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:17 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

I had trouble getting people to take my players on transfers in CM3, if that's tougher I will most likely never transfer anyone.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Havok
College Starter

Bee,

I think they are looking into that. I've heard a BUNCH of people bitching about how its almost impossible to sell people on the transfer wire. Like guys worth 20 mil and offering them for like 2 mil and noone taking them. I dont mind thats its harder... but it shouldnt be impossible.

Hopfully next patch will fix it.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
Easy Mac

CM is notorious for fanblys. If you look at the board, people who tell about new bugs are blasted, and told to just play the game and not look for bugs. The whole point is to find all the bugs, b/c who knows what happens in the game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:44 AM   #8
moriarty
College Starter

I should clarify that I've only spent several months (not yet a full season) experimenting with Liverpool.

The transfer windows are small, so there's not alot of time for negotiations (it probably will be easier after the season). I desparately tried to lure a quality left footed winger offering $19 million (US$ I think) to several player's teams for players advertised as $10-$15 million. No one bit (needless to say I was bidding on quality players, so this is not necessarily a bad thing).

I also tried to unload two of my five quality strikers (ok, so I like Neil Mellor) reducing their transfer prices by several million and no one was interested (managed to upset a few folks though). I also tried to offer a goal keeper at mareket vale to a team that was 'interested', but they didn't even want to negotiate.

I'm not saying this is bad, just that the transfer market looks to be difficult. I'd be interested in hearing from folks who have completed a few off seasons periods.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:57 AM   #9
Havok
College Starter

Mariarty,

Theres a huge thread going on about this at the SI homepage.
I was reading it last night. people have been trying different ways to sell players and nothing as really worked. You should go check it out. It you can get past all the fanboys, theres some good info there :P
Old 04-02-2003, 11:52 AM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Hmmm...A transfer wire bug would be a showstopper for me.

Transafering players in and out are one of the best things about the game for me.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:54 AM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
Bee,

I think they are looking into that. I've heard a BUNCH of people bitching about how its almost impossible to sell people on the transfer wire. Like guys worth 20 mil and offering them for like 2 mil and noone taking them. I dont mind thats its harder... but it shouldnt be impossible.

Hopfully next patch will fix it.

Well, I look forward to trying it out for myself hopefully very soon.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote