Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
Buccaneer
Head Coach

NM State of Emergency and Mexico's typical BS response

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/12/newmexico/index.html

By declaring the State of Emergency in the 4 border counties, that will get them $750k from the feds and NM promised an additional $1m. That doesn't sound like much but remember NM is a very poor state.

What struck me was Mexico's typical BS response:

Quote:

The Mexican government issued a statement in which it acknowledged the problems along the border, but said it continues to make consistent efforts to target them along with U.S. authorities.

It said some of Richardson's views stem from "generalizations that do not correspond to the spirit of cooperation and understanding that are required for dealing with problems of common concern along the border."

In other words, NM is not cooperating by speaking the truth. And no, it is not a "common concern" along the border. Mexico does not have illegals, drugs, murders and criminal acts going across the border into their country. It's a one way street, bub. While we have the concern of a nation-wide drug addiction, all of the problems come from you.

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Roffle- that' s the spirit. Blame the Mexicans for American drug addicts.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/12/newmexico/index.html

By declaring the State of Emergency in the 4 border counties, that will get them $750k from the feds and NM promised an additional $1m. That doesn't sound like much but remember NM is a very poor state.

What struck me was Mexico's typical BS response:

In other words, NM is not cooperating by speaking the truth. And no, it is not a "common concern" along the border. Mexico does not have illegals, drugs, murders and criminal acts going across the border into their country. It's a one way street, bub. While we have the concern of a nation-wide drug addiction, all of the problems come from you.

Meth is the big drug in the south, and I'm pretty sure thats not from Mexico, so I don't think its as much of the nationwide problem you assume. Now, if you said nationwide "expensive drugs" problem, then maybe, since I think cocaine is more expensive. But as it stands, I think we need to focus a little more inside our own borders.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Instead of clogging up the jails, we could send the dealers and junkies to Mexico instead.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Meth is the big drug in the south, and I'm pretty sure thats not from Mexico, so I don't think its as much of the nationwide problem you assume. Now, if you said nationwide "expensive drugs" problem, then maybe, since I think cocaine is more expensive. But as it stands, I think we need to focus a little more inside our own borders.

That doesn't address the immediate needs in the 4 border counties of NM.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Easy Mac

Perhaps thats not the most pressing concern in America then. Its always easier to say the problem is from outside the border rather than from the guy down the street.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I would assume that even though some meth is produced locally in the states, a much greater amount is produced in mexico. It is probably far easier to get large quantites of the chemicals needed to make meth, the manpower to create the meth, etc. If you were looking at it from a business perspective, it would be very reasonable to produce ton's of meth. I would imagine that meth is much more expensive to produce and sells for much more than drugs like marijuana though, which a good portion of it comes from the south.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
Loren
High School JV

You cant blame anyone else for one person's stupid decision on using drugs..Mexico does have a pretty big problem with illegals from just about every other country thank you very much there's also just as much corruption in this country, it's just better organized.. and the cops in mexico arent the only ones who look the other way at times at the borders, the US border patrol does it as well..but i guess that AND my having bad gas today are Mexico's fault too
Old 08-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
chinaski
College Prospect

Whats bullshit is the people in charge of this country havent dont jack to protect our borders. In this 'post 9/11' world i hear so much about, how in the hell did our border security actually get so bad that a state needs to declare an emergency situation?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer

Lets see...this article also said the following.

"The Mexican government issued a statement in which it acknowledged the problems along the border, but said it continues to make consistent efforts to target them along with U.S. authorities."

and

"Alejandro Cano, secretary of industrial development for the Mexican state of Chihuahua -- which borders New Mexico -- pledged to support Richardson's efforts, the statement said.

Richardson told CNN he met with Mexican governors several weeks ago on border security."

and

"The Mexican Foreign Ministry sent Richardson a letter Friday saying it has requested that Mexican consuls in Albuquerque and El Paso, Texas, meet "as soon as possible" with New Mexico officials "to promote pertinent action by the authorities of both countries in the framework of existing institutional mechanisms."

----

Yeah, typical actions from Mexico, they seem somewhat helpful and willing to do what they can.

And you say Mexico does not have illegals, drugs, murders and criminal acts going across the border into their country?

Actually a high number of 'illegals' cross Mexico to get to the U.S. border, coming into Mexico from Guatemala. They also fight a bad drug smuggling problem on that border, with their military positioned there. Both Nuevo Laredo and Reynosa (a few miles from me) have had their Police Chief's gunned down this year because they were trying to stop smuggling.

Mexico has many of the same problems, and they try to fight those problems too. Blaming Mexico for all our problems, and then saying they don't have any of the same problems is extremely ignorant.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:09 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
Whats bullshit is the people in charge of this country havent dont jack to protect our borders. In this 'post 9/11' world i hear so much about, how in the hell did our border security actually get so bad that a state needs to declare an emergency situation?

1. Border patrol is better now than it was in the 70s and 80s. But like much of the federal govt, the more money they throw at things, the less effective they become.
2. There is an argument that illegal immigration from Mexico should not be discouraged (just the criminals and their activities). Much of the produce you see overstocked in your grocers (and at cheap prices) are done by migrant (legal and illegal) labor.
3. New Mexico is poor and while the "emergency" is no different than many border counties in Texas and Arizona (and Imperial in California), they need money and forces to help (or at least to make the governor look like he's doing something about the problem).
Old 08-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Cringer, I know. I was just responding specifically to the context of what is happening across the border from Columbus and the 4 NM counties. NM doesn't care right now about the dealers and junkies in Detroit, nor the hordes of criminals from Central America - they want a more immediate problem solved.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:21 PM   #13
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
...Blaming Mexico for all our problems, and then saying they don't have any of the same problems is extremely ignorant.

Well said.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:39 PM   #14
JW
College Prospect

I had really assumed that most meth was produced locally in the US until reading this post. Police in this area stake out anydrous ammonia tanks on large farms for example, and there are regular meth busts in the area.

However, a quick net search revealed that a lot of meth does come from Mexico, which surprised me. But it also appears the Mexican meth industry is an unintended consequence of US policy. Very interesting.

Link and excerpt:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N29185303.htm

But a crackdown on the chemicals used to cook up the synthetic drug known on the streets as "meth" or "crystal" has pushed production and use south of the border to Mexico's Baja California state, U.S. and Mexican authorities say.

The booming trade in the stimulant has given powerful Mexican drug cartels a hefty shot in the arm and fueled a growing wave of addiction in the state's cities and resort towns, where it can easily be bought on street corners and illegal kiosks.

Analysts estimate that as many as 60,000 of Tijuana's 1.2 million residents use the drug, while state health services say referrals to local rehabilitation centers for meth addiction have doubled in the past five years

"Alcohol and tobacco used to be the drug of choice for youngsters in northern Mexico, but now it's crystal," said Hector, a reformed drug user now running a busy rehabilitation clinic in the city. "More and more are turning to the drug."
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #15
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I would assume that even though some meth is produced locally in the states, a much greater amount is produced in mexico. It is probably far easier to get large quantites of the chemicals needed to make meth, the manpower to create the meth, etc. If you were looking at it from a business perspective, it would be very reasonable to produce ton's of meth. I would imagine that meth is much more expensive to produce and sells for much more than drugs like marijuana though, which a good portion of it comes from the south.

I think meth is made mostly in the US. It's easy (though dangerous) to make, and the chemicals are readily available. Or, at least were until the recent efforts to move Sudafed behind the counter.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:47 AM   #16
Kobeck
n00b

Meth was leagle until the early 70's

http://www.stopaddiction.com/meth_history.html

Last edited by Kobeck : 08-14-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:53 AM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Non-PC comment. Saw something on a shirt in an Urban Outfitters that really cracked me up and is apropos here...

"New Mexico...cleaner than Mexico"

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:37 AM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

Meth ain't pretty. Just look at Lindsay Lohan

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote