Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Buying Golf Clubs

I've begun to take up golf again after not playing for the better part of a decade and was wondering if anyone out there had some tips on buying a set of clubs with a budget of $150-$300. I've noticed that clubs can be had for that price online, but is it even possible to get a decent set of clubs for that money? Is it better to try to get something used or go with new? FWIW, I'm happy if I shoot under 100 on a round.

Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
FWIW, I'm happy if I shoot under 100 on a round.
Then go to WalMart
Old 08-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

play with a shovel
Old 08-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

You only lose about 6 strokes each way if you only use your putter. Give that a try. For $20, I'll mail you mine.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I once used my putter on a par 5 and shot a 7. Had I used an actual club, I probably would've shot a 9.

My current thing is to only use my putter and pitching wedge. Since I can hit my wedge about 150 maybe 175 if I get a good roll and straight I figure it's better than hitting it into the other fairway every other shot with an iron or a wood.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
I once used my putter on a par 5 and shot a 7. Had I used an actual club, I probably would've shot a 9.

My current thing is to only use my putter and pitching wedge. Since I can hit my wedge about 150 maybe 175 if I get a good roll and straight I figure it's better than hitting it into the other fairway every other shot with an iron or a wood.

you don't hit your wedge 175 tiger
Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

I suck at golf.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:

Something tells me another problem you have is judging distances
Old 08-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
timmae
College Starter

Note to self... do not ask for advice on golf at FOFC.
timmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I call if gof without the l.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #11
KevinNU7
College Starter

But seriosuly, if you golf around 100 and don't have this big aspiration to golf 10 times a week and chnage your game you should go to WalMart and buy a nice set there. They are pretty good clubs and very cheap in comparision
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
For $20, I'll mail you mine.

I have a revision to this proposal.

Instead of spending $200 on clubs, you get my putter for $20. In exchange for this stroke if insight, you and I will split the amount of realized savings with you evenly. So, from this, I get the $20 for the putter, plut $90 of the savings. So, now you owe me $110. in fact, I don't really want to send you my putter, so run out to Play It Again Sports and buy one for about $6.50.

I will PM you my email address so you can PayPal me the remaining $103.50. Thanks.

Last edited by QuikSand : 08-04-2005 at 01:12 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #13
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:

Instead of spending $200 on clubs, you get my putter for $20. In exchange for this stroke if insight, you and I will split the amount of realized savings with you evenly. So, from this, I get the $20 for the putter, plut $90 of the savings. So, now you owe me $110. in fact, I don't really want to send you my putter, so run out to Play It Again Sports and buy one for about $6.50.

I will PM you my email address so you can PayPal me the remaining $103.50. Thanks.

I KNEW there was a sense of humor there...

DWS

-Chas
Old 08-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #14
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:

This needs to be an infomercial
Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #15
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Something tells me another problem you have is judging distances

Nope, believe me my friends didn't believe me when I first told them, but it's the only club I can hit. I even bet my friend's dad 20 bucks, so he brought something to measure and sure enough my average was 150 and the best one I hit was 175.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #16
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Nope, believe me my friends didn't believe me when I first told them, but it's the only club I can hit. I even bet my friend's dad 20 bucks, so he brought something to measure and sure enough my average was 150 and the best one I hit was 175.

If you really close the face and don't hit it with the right trajectory you can hit a pitching wedge that far.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #17
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Since I can hit my wedge about 150 maybe 175 if I get a good roll and straight

There's something wrong if you are getting roll with your pitching wedge.

As far as clubs, you can buy something like a set of Golden Bears (Jack Nicklaus' company) for around the price you are looking for. Either those, or a set of Dunlops (for sale at Walmart, Big 5, Kmart, etc.) or something will suit you just fine for that price range. Just make sure to pick the ones that feel the best for you.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #18
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
There's something wrong if you are getting roll with your pitching wedge.

Which is why I can't chip to save my life.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #19
Blackadar
Retired

Ok, back to the original poster. I only shoot in the low 90s, so I'm not any better. Here's a few tips.

1. Yes, you can get a decent set of clubs for a couple of hundred bucks. Especially if you're only looking for irons or woods.

2. Getting professional advice is a must. Otherwise, you might as well buy Walmart clubs and save yourself the money so you'll have more when you break them because they're ill-fitting.

3. Depending on where you live, it can be extremely advantageous to wait until after the golf season is over before shopping. You can often get the clubs at a tremendous discount.

Perhaps telling my story about buying clubs can help you. For a number of years, I used a good set ($600) of my Dads. We're close to the same size, so I figured they'd fit me well. After taking some lessons, one of my Pro's suggestions was to buy a new set of irons. I asked why. He said that my swing was too hard for the clubs I was using - that I needed something that would help me keep the clubhead in control.

So I went shopping and found a set of irons (graphite shafts) for $399. They were great but it was more than I wanted to spend. So I asked my pro and he said that I could use steel shafts ($100 less) and to wait a couple of months while we worked on my swing and for the end of the golf season. He said it was the right club, but the wrong time to buy. I bought the clubs about 4 months later - for $99. Model-year closeouts with steel shafts. I instantly added 15 yards and a helluva lot of accuracy to my iron play. Good luck!

EDIT:

For $200-$300, you can shop in a discount golf shop. You won't get them in a pro shop, but you don't need to go the Walmart route either. Many golf shops have a golf video display, where you hit the ball and it judges your accuracy and distance. Once you find a set of clubs you think will work, take your old 5 iron and the one from the set you like and you should be able to hit some practice shots with both clubs and compare the results. Those tests should help determine the right clubs for you and how much improvement you should see on the course.

Last edited by Blackadar : 08-04-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #20
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

At Dick's Sporting Goods we sell Acuity brand, which is like a store-brand type thing for your price range. I don't know how good or bad they are, but they are our biggest golf item, so somebody appears to like them.

Good luck!
~rpi-fan

edit: Every Dick's employs a PGA Golf Pro, so you could ask them questions if you have one near you.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 08-04-2005 at 03:07 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:41 AM   #21
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Tip 1: try all clubs before you buy. Thus avoid online until you at least know what you want. You can try all kinds at your nearest golf store/driving range.

Tip 2: buy near end of golf season when the deals are on

Tip 3: for the average player, used clubs are perfectly fine and can save you a bundle. Just make sure there any slight cracks or bends, etc.

Tip 4: its often not a bad idea to go to a club fitter. they will check your clubs and make custom fit ones of generic parts at a very good price.

Tip 5: It will be pretty hard to get irons AND woods for that kind of money

That's all I got right now for you.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:36 AM   #22
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
Tip 2: buy near end of golf season when the deals are on

Or buy last seasons model if you can - I got a great deal on some new Callaway X-16s this year because they were last year's model still in stock at Dick's. I definitely agree also with those who have said ask the pro and hit the clubs before you buy them. Regardless of the price you do not want to buy clubs that are meant for golfers who shoot close to par when playing - they won't help you a bit.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #23
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I got a great deal on Callaway X-14s last year, I love them. It took me a while to get used to hitting steel shafts but this summer I am hitting the shit out of my irons, thus I no longer use my woods. I don't know what the deal is but I am hitting my 7-iron around 180 yards as opposed to about 140 last summer, and that 180 is with a nice and easy swing. Yesterday I shot a 42/43, that included a 8 on the 1st hole and a 6 on the 12th hole but I also chipped in from about 60 yards out and made a 50 foot putt, both for birdies.

I recommend those clubs but they are a little higher than you would like to pay, go to Wal-Mart and pick up a set of Top Flite's. I know a lot of people who have them and they are happy with them, they are usually at 100 or above as well.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #24
Ryan S
Quarterback

Things may be different where you live, because I live in the golf capital of the world, but most pro shops will stock a good range of second hand clubs. It might be worth going in and asking the pro for advice and picking up a set of second hand clubs.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #25
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

garagesales are wonderful things, too
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #26
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

truly, i got my first set for $30 at one, they weren't the greatest but since those were the first clubs i ever used, what did I know?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #27
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I call if gof without the l.

Thanks for that laugh out loud comment Judge.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote