Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Celeval
Pro Starter

Looking for a quality television

So the wife and I are looking for a new television, and figured we'd look for recommendations here. We're in an apartment (for another year), so the huge 60-inch monster entertainment center is not the answer. :-D

What we are looking for:
- Budget of around $400 (really $500, but we figure we'll want to get the extended warranty and the like with it, so we're looking base price around $400.
- Size in the 25" - 29" range
- Quality is high on the list - we'd like something that should last for 8+ years. I figure that means whatever we get should be at least HD-ready, and possibly tuner built-in, although I'm not sure if that last is necessary.
- Our viewing is mixed; we watch a good number of DVDs, watch digital cable, and play video game systems (PS2, GC). Will eventually upgrade to next-gen systems, but we're not bleeding edge on video games.
- Obviously, picture quality is important.

Any recommendations? The television we're replacing is a somewhat ancient 21" Sylvania that has held up very, very well (and is actually moving into the bedroom now).

Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Me and my parents bought a 32" Sony Wega Flat-Tube TV for $575 or so.

It isn't HDTV, but the flat screen is awesome for watching sports. HUGE improvement over a cathode ray TV. I know you can get the Wega HD-ready, so in your budget you could do like a 27" HD-ready. Plugging entertainment in is easy (there are connections in the front of the TV which is really nice to have).

Since it's a Sony, I think that the quality isn't a issue -- it's as good as you'll find.

Good luck!
~rpi-fan
Old 08-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I dont think your gonna get a HDTV ready T.V. for anything less than 1000 dollars. Personally, I would buy a cheaper set, and wait for those HD prices to come down over the next 3 years.

Companies like Hitachi, Sony, other large manufactures are heavily invested in new manufacturing facilitys. I would guess that prices will fall another 30% over the next two years.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I dont think your gonna get a HDTV ready T.V. for anything less than 1000 dollars. Personally, I would buy a cheaper set, and wait for those HD prices to come down over the next 3 years.

Companies like Hitachi, Sony, other large manufactures are heavily invested in new manufacturing facilitys. I would guess that prices will fall another 30% over the next two years.

???

You can DEFINITELY get HD-ready for WELL under $1000.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
???

You can DEFINITELY get HD-ready for WELL under $1000.

Sorry, I meant with a built in HD tuner...

Old 08-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Sorry, I meant with a built in HD tuner...

what's the difference between those with built-in HD and those without. (Yes, I know...an HD tuner). But what is that used for...if you don't get one with a built in HD tuner, do you need to buy something else?
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
what's the difference between those with built-in HD and those without. (Yes, I know...an HD tuner). But what is that used for...if you don't get one with a built in HD tuner, do you need to buy something else?

Most of the time you don't need one with a built in tuner. Especially if your cable/Satellite provider give you one...

Old 08-01-2005, 09:29 PM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

He said he has digital cable, so he probably definitely wouldn't need the tuner.

What are the advantages to an HD tuner? You can just run a cable line right into the TV without a box? Won't that be obsolete with the FCC's requirement for all cable to be digital in a few years?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
He said he has digital cable, so he probably definitely wouldn't need the tuner.

What are the advantages to an HD tuner? You can just run a cable line right into the TV without a box? Won't that be obsolete with the FCC's requirement for all cable to be digital in a few years?

Yeah, that's the impression I've gotten with the cable system - I won't need the tuner as long as we're using the Comcast tv-top set.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Me and my parents bought a 32" Sony Wega Flat-Tube TV for $575 or so.

It isn't HDTV, but the flat screen is awesome for watching sports. HUGE improvement over a cathode ray TV. I know you can get the Wega HD-ready, so in your budget you could do like a 27" HD-ready. Plugging entertainment in is easy (there are connections in the front of the TV which is really nice to have).

Since it's a Sony, I think that the quality isn't a issue -- it's as good as you'll find.

Good luck!
~rpi-fan

This guy is on the right track for your budget. Get an HD flat tube around 27" and you'll be pleased.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:41 AM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

The advantage to having a built in HD tuner is you don't have to buy a separate tuner if you get OTA HD broadcasts. Most markets have OTA HD broadcasts and in many cases the OTA broadcast is better quality than what you can get via cable.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote