Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

LSU fullback busted trying to bring steroids back from Mexico

http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs...505190341/1002

Former Riverside High School star and current LSU fullback Shawn Jordan has been charged with possession of a controlled substance after allegedly attempting to transport anabolic steroids into El Paso from Juárez.

According to a police report, the 20-year-old Jordan was arrested at approximately 1 p.m. Tuesday as he tried to cross the Paso del Norte Bridge in Downtown El Paso in a 1996 Ford EXP.

The 6-foot-1, 242-pound Jordan was stopped by U.S. Customs and Border Inspectors and sent to a secondary area for inspection, where an undisclosed amount of steroids was found. He was booked into the El Paso County jail on a $750 bond.

"I'm not allowed to say anything right now," Jordan said Wednesday when contacted by the El Paso Times.

LSU head coach Les Miles could not be reached for comment. LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette said the school still was trying to gather information about Jordan's arrest and would not comment.

Riverside coach Tom Work, who said he talks to his players about the dangers of steroids, was "shocked" by Jordan's arrest on Class A misdemeanor charges, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.

"I haven't talked to Shawn in a while, and all I can say, honestly, is that he was a great kid -- the hardest working kid in our program three years ago," Work said. "I can't say what's going on with him now, other than it appears he's made a bad decision."

Jordan, who played in two games last season but did not carry the ball, will be classified as a sophomore at LSU next season. He came out of the spring listed as the third-string fullback on the school's depth chart.

U.S. Customs officials in El Paso have reported 144 steroid seizures, including 10 this year.

"It's not a daily occurrence," U.S. Customs spokesman Roger Maier said, "but we do see it regularly, most likely because of the availability in Mexico."

---------------

It doesn't say how much he got caught with but I would guess that he just got them for himself to try and pump up over the summer. However, you have to wonder if he was planning on bringing any back to his teammates...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Can they charge him with 1st degree Being An Idiot while they're at it?

Last edited by WSUCougar : 05-19-2005 at 12:51 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Tigercat
College Starter

I'm glad he got caught for his own good. Its a shame really, I mean we won't miss him because he could never see the field as a FB or a RB, but coming out of HS he was a real beast. He could run over and past people, I thought he was going to be the steal of the recruiting class. I guess being buried on the depth chart at RB and FB made him desperate. Sad. Hopefully he got caught before he could take any....
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very sad.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Tragic, this story is.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

He got the steroids from Ron Mexico?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

And he doesn't play for Ohio State? Oh, sorry, wrong drug.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Ha! SkyDog wound up on MinerDigs (in an indirect way) because of this!

http://utep.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?f...968864&style=1

Old 05-20-2005, 08:41 AM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Ha! SkyDog wound up on MinerDigs (in an indirect way) because of this!

http://utep.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?f...968864&style=1
Heh. That's funny.

Dang, those El Paso people are getting pretty thinned-skinned over this. http://lsu.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fi...8&sid=&style=2
Old 05-20-2005, 08:45 AM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, El Pasoans are very pround of their city and take any percieved slight way too seriously. I wouldn't doubt that thread gets out of hand soon...if there's one thing that Diggers do well it's flame other boards.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Jordan has been reinstated at LSU...

http://www.nola.com/sportsflash/lsu/...ist=lsu_sports

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Fullback Shawn Jordan, suspended since May 19, has returned to the LSU football team, coach Les Miles said.

Jordan was suspended two days after he was arrested in El Passo, Texas, on charges of possession of a controlled substances.

Jordan allegedly was caught by U.S. Customs and Border Inspectors bringing two steroid substances across the border from Juarez, Mexico, to El Paso.

A police report said that Jordan was found to with 20 milliliters of a steroid called stanozolol and 10 milliliters of a steroid called dromostanolone. Both are banned by the NCAA.

"He has sustained some discipline from the team and myself," Miles said. "He's back on board and doing the right things."

The amount of steroids Jordan is alleged to have had in his possession were only enough for someone's personal use.

"We reviewed that situation very thoroughly and looked at his background," Miles said. "We feel it's an isolated incident that won't repeat itself."

Still suspended is defensive end Chase Pittman, who was suspended indefinitely on July 11 after Pittman was arrested July 7 for his role in a fight at a bar near the LSU campus.

Baton Rouge police said Pittman told investigators that he punched a man in the face at Bogie's Bar and Grill. He was charged with second-degree battery.

Pittman is listed in LSU's football media guide as the Tigers' projected starter at right defensive end.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:51 PM   #12
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Shouldn't the NCAA be involved in this? Not just Miles. Or how does this work?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:24 PM   #13
Tigercat
College Starter

Well apparently he didn't actually take them. So he hasn't cheated yet in a way that makes him ineligible in the NCAA's eyes. And it was such an individual act that its not something that would affect the LSU program.

I am glad he is being given a second chance. Lots of LSU fans wish he was gone, because he is an expendable player that gave us bad press. All the more reason to give him a second chance IMO. This is a guy that did something wrong/tried to do something wrong to just himself. This isn't a guy that beat up his girlfriend or stole from someone else. If this is a one time incident that it appears to be, I am glad to see that Miles didn't just cut the strings on him, something that would be easy to do with a 3-4th string FB.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote