Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

I love this game!

I love FM 2005. After my first season of winning the playoffs to get Wigan promoted to the Premiership, we finish seventh in the 2005-2006 season along with a semi-final loss in the FA Cup. Predicted to not stay in the Premiership, we should wrap up a spot in the UEFA (Euro) Cup and bring home $15 million in prize money.

Now, I have to really transform the roster to a premier challenger. This will be the toughest time yet. We greatly overachieved.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-26-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Glad you're enjoying it ... 'tis posts like this which help a lot during 'crunch time' when I'm working 24/7 ...

(current eta for this years crunch is probably a month or so's time)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Lots of us on here that love this game
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think this will be the toughest part. Transforming a team with deep pockets ($70 million-plus in the bank with good ownership), yet a small stadium and no youth academy, and not a reputation to build on (players feel right now they moving to Wigan is a step down, as well as current players wanting to move to "Bigger clubs". My talent is mixed, with some old talent (Andres Palop in the net is consider by my scout as the only 3-star and up player, yet he's 32/33), and some young rising talent (Italian midfielder Marco Bellestia (19) and Chinese national star Zhou Habin (21), but we dont have the depth or the starting strength to challenge the Chelseas, Manchester Uniteds, Liverpool, ect. Any advice?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
condors
College Starter

Look for players that fit your tactic

for example you may require your wingers to be able to dribble and cross you can get these types of players but may not have the ballwinning skills the players on Manutd, Arsenal or Chelsea. Or center backs that are great in the air but may lack overall abilities or John Terry or Rio Ferdinand.

I think a better idea would be to get the best 22 players you can and build your tactic based on them. (read cleon's posts at sigames.com he has posted a ton of usefull information on doing this)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Galaxy
Coordinator

Had to correct the first post, we got seventh instead of sixth (still should get the last UEFA Cup spot).

My rep has move to Continential and finished third in the Manager of the Year voting, should I should get some good offers as well (Crystal Palace made me an offer this past year, but going to a team that was going to be regelated isn't my thing).
Old 07-26-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
Look for players that fit your tactic

for example you may require your wingers to be able to dribble and cross you can get these types of players but may not have the ballwinning skills the players on Manutd, Arsenal or Chelsea. Or center backs that are great in the air but may lack overall abilities or John Terry or Rio Ferdinand.

I think a better idea would be to get the best 22 players you can and build your tactic based on them. (read cleon's posts at sigames.com he has posted a ton of usefull information on doing this)

Problem is that its hard to attract good players who are upgrades to our squad. That might change, as my rep has gone to Continential and we are a UEFA Cup team.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Everton just offered me the opening manager job. The wage budget is comparable and they have more resources in terms of facilities, but they just got re-promoted to Premiership after a league down in the Championship. Plus, I got a feeling I could get a much bigger wage budget this year with the stream of income coming in (my budget last year was around $27-some million-about $2 million more then Everton is willing to give me). I would love to see Wigan invest in a Youth Academy. What are the great advantages of having one, and how do you get one?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Everton just offered me the opening manager job. The wage budget is comparable and they have more resources in terms of facilities, but they just got re-promoted to Premiership after a league down in the Championship. Plus, I got a feeling I could get a much bigger wage budget this year with the stream of income coming in (my budget last year was around $27-some million-about $2 million more then Everton is willing to give me). I would love to see Wigan invest in a Youth Academy. What are the great advantages of having one, and how do you get one?

The advantages of having one are that if your U18 team isn't too bloated with players, you will get several (up to a dozen sometimes) young players added to your U18 team each year. Occasionally, you'll get a very talented young player this way.

You need the board to decide to add one. Of course, you can request that they improve the training grounds which might include the addition of a youth academy.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Glad you're enjoying it ... 'tis posts like this which help a lot during 'crunch time' when I'm working 24/7 ...

(current eta for this years crunch is probably a month or so's time)
what's the timeframe for release of fm2006? Will there be a co-release of WWSM2006 (or an american fm2006) this year?

thanks.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.

Last edited by finkenst : 07-26-2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: smartass comment removed.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:41 AM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

The worst part of all of this is that I did not get FM2005. So here I sit reading about how great it is and how much better than the last couple it is. Of course the upside is that I am already guarenteed to get FM2006.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:48 AM   #12
Fouts
College Starter

Yeah, how do I get FM2005? I obtained EHM2005 via digital download, is FM2005 available that way?

I'd really like to get ahold of this game, I like the promotion/relegation part of the soccer games.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:56 AM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Good question, Fouts, I ordered it from Gogamer a while back, but I don't know if they have some kind of digital download set up.

I've just started playing it this week and having fun, even though there's a lot I don't understand yet.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:47 AM   #14
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
Yeah, how do I get FM2005? I obtained EHM2005 via digital download, is FM2005 available that way?

I'd really like to get ahold of this game, I like the promotion/relegation part of the soccer games.
It should be available in America as 'Worldwide Soccer Manager' (same game name changed for American market).

No digi-download option for it presently I'm afraid.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:49 AM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

If you go to the board confidence screen then you'll find the option to make 'board requests'* - one of these is for training facilities and will invest in training and youth facilities ... get them high enough and you'll be rated as having an academy.

The better your training/youth setup is the most likely you are to have quality kids promoted from your youth side.

*And if the board turn them down and you're brave enough you can then offer an ultimatum to them ... be warned though you might find yourself out on your ear ...
Old 07-27-2005, 05:34 AM   #16
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have a random question about the game that maybe someone can answer. I think the answer is no, but is there a way to set the game so you won't be fired? It's not something I would normally do but I had an idea to try something.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:37 AM   #17
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I have a random question about the game that maybe someone can answer. I think the answer is no, but is there a way to set the game so you won't be fired? It's not something I would normally do but I had an idea to try something.
No its not possible to do this I'm afraid as the tension from being close to the sack is part of what makes the game enjoyable.

You can however obviously retire your manager and add a new one at your old club if you want to continue in that role past a sacking .... you just have to cope with the pain of the sacking.

If you're a new-comer to the game and want to have a long stint at a club then I'd recommend taking over a club with a patient board, Cambridge City in the conference south are pretty mellow and unambitious.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:45 AM   #18
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you're a new-comer to the game and want to have a long stint at a club then I'd recommend taking over a club with a patient board, Cambridge City in the conference south are pretty mellow and unambitious.

I'm not worried about sacking, so far anyway. It's my first time playing but the board at Cambridge United seems pretty happy with me, as long as I keep delivering victories over Cheltenham and Swansea I guess!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

Thanks for the info. I am considering the Liverpool Job (haven't been offered, but I am a front-runner).
Old 07-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #20
PSUColonel
Banned

Where can I get WWFM? I though this was to be sold in the U.S.? I haven't really seen it around anywhere. Must I order it from SI (Sega)again?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #21
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel
Where can I get WWFM? I though this was to be sold in the U.S.? I haven't really seen it around anywhere. Must I order it from SI (Sega)again?

GoGamer has the import version (Football Manager) for $39.90.
Chips & Bits has WWSM for $39.95.

Both are US based companies that I have ordered from in the past.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #22
PSUColonel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter

I was under the impression it would be sold in retail stores
Old 07-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel
I was under the impression it would be sold in retail stores
Some stores have stocked WWSM - unfortunately though the stocking has been somewhat patchy through America (some places have it, some don't) - ditto with EHM ... its something we're trying to improve upon for this years releases.

Obviously the more which are bought in America the more likely we are to be able to improve availability by indicating its sales - its one of those lovely chicken and egg situations
Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 PM   #24
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter

Thanks, I'll look at those two.

Mark, thanks for the response. Hopefully FM2006 will be available via download.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:31 AM   #25
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
Thanks, I'll look at those two.

Mark, thanks for the response. Hopefully FM2006 will be available via download.

Order the WWSM one if you can (even though they're the same game basically)... as per Mark's response, the more versions of this that get bought, the more likely Sega will do a wider US release in the future.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #26
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm stuck in England waiting to go home to the States to play the game. How funny is that?
Anyway, the local club to the school I'm working for is Woking FC, a conference team. I look forward to playing them and my beloved Crystal Palace (save them from relegation hopefully)
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

I m very tempted to take the Liverpool job. Your thoughts? I really love the team at Wigan, and the investment being put in (they are growing the stadium by 10,000 seats and responded to my request that we needed to improve the youth facilities), but the lure of playing for a World Class club is tempting. But the tempetation of building up a club from all aspects is very tempting as well.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #28
Huckleberry
College Starter

You could overpay for some of their players if you move to Liverpool, that way you help out your old squad.

Now for my question:

Has anyone had success with a 3 defender formation in FM/WWSM 2005? I simply can't make it work. My current Manchester City squad is loaded with midfielders and, to a lesser extent, forwards. But I simply can't succeed with only 3 defenders. Not only do I allow way too many more scoring chances, I also create fewer chances. It's driving me bonkers.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 PM   #29
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Now for my question:

Has anyone had success with a 3 defender formation in FM/WWSM 2005? I simply can't make it work. My current Manchester City squad is loaded with midfielders and, to a lesser extent, forwards. But I simply can't succeed with only 3 defenders. Not only do I allow way too many more scoring chances, I also create fewer chances. It's driving me bonkers.
Do you cheat any of your midfielders back as DMCs?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting question. I loved the 3-5-2 in CM 03/04, but for whatever reason haven't tried it in FM yet.

I'm interested in hearing if anyone is using a successful 3 defender formation as well.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:58 AM   #31
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I m very tempted to take the Liverpool job. Your thoughts? I really love the team at Wigan, and the investment being put in (they are growing the stadium by 10,000 seats and responded to my request that we needed to improve the youth facilities), but the lure of playing for a World Class club is tempting. But the tempetation of building up a club from all aspects is very tempting as well.

In my current game I started as Barnsley, got them from League One up to the Premier League in four seasons. However they were so stingy with finances it was almost impossible for me to field a competitive squad at that level. So about halfway through the season, with relegation a near certainty, I left for Middlesbrough, who at the time had been relegated to the Championship but were in 2nd place with basically a solid Premiership squad (their old manager had left for a Premier League club). So I went there, won the Championship, and our first season in the Premier League, we finished 4th and qualified for the Champions League. Midway through the following season, the Manchester United position opened up. I almost never take jobs at big clubs, especially ones with available funds like Man U. However, they had really been struggling for a couple seasons and were in 10th place with an old, creaking, small roster. I figured it would be a good challenge to rebuild them to their old glory.

Not sure what any of this has to do with your decision, but, I would look at whether or not you think you can sustain success with Wigan. With Barnsley, I didn't feel the club would ever do much more than yo-yo between the top two divisions. Likewise with Middlesbrough, we had a relatively older roster that would need overhauling in a season or two. I didn't see it getting much better than what we finished. If you feel that way about Wigan, there's no reason not to take the Reds.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #32
PSUColonel
Banned

I just ordered FM 2005 Should be here tomorow.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:19 PM   #33
condors
College Starter

I currently am using 3 defenders 1 central and 2 wide with 2 dm in between the wide and central defender. Had pretty good results with WBA qualifing for UEFA Cup in season 2 with very limited changes in personal.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #34
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
In my current game I started as Barnsley, got them from League One up to the Premier League in four seasons. However they were so stingy with finances it was almost impossible for me to field a competitive squad at that level. So about halfway through the season, with relegation a near certainty, I left for Middlesbrough, who at the time had been relegated to the Championship but were in 2nd place with basically a solid Premiership squad (their old manager had left for a Premier League club). So I went there, won the Championship, and our first season in the Premier League, we finished 4th and qualified for the Champions League. Midway through the following season, the Manchester United position opened up. I almost never take jobs at big clubs, especially ones with available funds like Man U. However, they had really been struggling for a couple seasons and were in 10th place with an old, creaking, small roster. I figured it would be a good challenge to rebuild them to their old glory.

Not sure what any of this has to do with your decision, but, I would look at whether or not you think you can sustain success with Wigan. With Barnsley, I didn't feel the club would ever do much more than yo-yo between the top two divisions. Likewise with Middlesbrough, we had a relatively older roster that would need overhauling in a season or two. I didn't see it getting much better than what we finished. If you feel that way about Wigan,
there's no reason not to take the Reds.

I applied for the job at Liverpool. A "Continental" club with deep pockets and good facilities, they are big enough to be a player, but they are a small step below the Big Three in England. I think Wigan has great potential, but it will take a long time for them to grow.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:26 PM   #35
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Do you cheat any of your midfielders back as DMCs?

Man, I've tried everything. I have two great defensive midfielders (Walter and Guarín) and 3 good defenders. It just doesn't work for me. I'm assuming something is wrong with my strategy. I will make it work. I just don't know how long it will take.

Part of the problem is that in this year, 2018/19, I have been ravaged by injuries. I won a treble with Man City last season but am out of everything but the Premier League by mid-March this season. I'm in front of the EPL on goal differential.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote