Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2003, 05:14 PM   #51
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

UPDATE:

Despite receiving 12 coaching blocks in each grading period, Hartman managed to fail Astronomy 4 and will not be eligible to play in the season he would have started. He received no other grade that was less than a C this year.

On the field, he had a pretty solid season, playing in all 12 games, for a total of 328 plays. He had 18 tackles, 14 assists, 1.5 sacks, 6 tackles for losses, 1 pass blocked adn 2 hurries, and a robust (for a DT) 9.7 tkpct. His ratings almost certainly would have gotten close to maxing out next year, as he's up to 48/67, 30/66,97

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 05:19 PM   #52
Ben E Lou

Yeah....he would have approached maxing out his potential before the year was over. He begins 2023 at 46/67,51/66,97.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:06 AM   #53
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Interesting discussion on roster approach in TCY.

Might be worth a link to sticky, eh Skydog ?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:04 AM   #54
Ben E Lou

I'm trying to develop an unlikely prospect, so I thought I'd bump this. CB Daniel Nance was recruited in 2023 by my 100-Prestige Kentucky Wildcat team. We've finished in the Top 5 each of the last 7 years, and have 2 National Titles in that span, so you can see what kind of team we have. However, last year we struggled to grab a cornerback, and ended up with Nance. He's unranked in the Top 1000 and the position Top 100, and is only the 7th-best player in his home state--Hawaii. He's rated 16/48 overall, but has some potential as a cover corner. He's 0/92 in M2M and 18/73 in Zone. He had a 2.66 GPA in HS, and scored 1132 on the SAT. As a Senior in HS, he recorded 29 tackles, 4 sacks, and 10 interceptions. He was 6'0" tall and weighted 167 pounds. He was rated 54+ by my SW scout who is Good with DB's. His HS--Pearl City (HI) High--is rated 16 in athletic prep and 45 in academic prep. He gains 6 pounds between his senior year and his freshman yer in college, and reports to Lexington as a 6'0", 173-pound project player.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:12 AM   #55
Ben E Lou

2024--Redshirt

Nance comes to us with 37 aspiration, 57 intelligence, 8 happiness, and no girlfriend. Here's what I do with him as a Frosh:

Study Hall: 15
Weight Training: 25
Football Study: 24
Relaxation: 19

Week 1 Coaching Blocks: 8
Grades at Week 5: C, D-, C, C+, C+
Week 5 Coaching Blocks: 12
Grades at Week 9: B-,E,C-,C,B-
Week 9 Coaching Blocks: 12
Grades at Week 13: B+,E,C-,C,B
Week 13 Coaching Blocks: 14
Grades at Week 17: A,E,C,C-,B+
Week 17 Coaching Blocks: 10
Final Grades, Year 1: A,D-,C+,D+,B

WHEW! Was barely able to keep him eligible, but pulled it out at the end.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-25-2004 at 06:51 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:01 AM   #56
Ben E Lou

Beginning of 2025:

His overall rating is now 27/48. He gained 12 pounds and got a girlfriend. His happiness rose to 52.

More to come this evening...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #57
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Week 1 Coaching Blocks: 8
Grades at Week 5: C, D-, C, C+, C+
Week 5 Coaching Blocks: 12
Grades at Week 9: B-,E,C-,C,B-
Week 9 Coaching Blocks: 12
Grades at Week 13: B+,E,C-,C,B
Week 13 Coaching Blocks: 14
Grades at Week 17: A,E,C,C-,B+
Week 17 Coaching Blocks: 10
Final Grades, Year 1: A,D-,C+,D+,B

Were you really giving him around 10 blocks every grade period? You must not have been giving any out to anyone else. I have found that you get very diminshed returns on coaching blocks after 4 or 5 for one player. This guy will max out though. Probably even in his redshirt junior year with some playing time. What is his major and what was the class he almost failed? Geology really seems to be hard on these guys.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #58
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
Were you really giving him around 10 blocks every grade period? You must not have been giving any out to anyone else. I have found that you get very diminshed returns on coaching blocks after 4 or 5 for one player. This guy will max out though. Probably even in his redshirt junior year with some playing time. What is his major and what was the class he almost failed? Geology really seems to be hard on these guys.
Yes, I was giving him that many. I very rarely recruit a player with SAT <1250, so I usually end up using them on guys with lowest grade of D+ or so. His major is geography, and yes, geology was the one he almost failed. No "Rocks For Jocks" in TCY.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #59
Ben E Lou

Oh...at first glance, he'll be the dime back this year and nickel next, barring injury. We signed a 21/90 CB who will be red-shirting this season, but I'm guessing that he's not going to develop enough to pass Nance next year.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:59 PM   #60
Ben E Lou

2025 (Red-Shirt Freshman Year)

Weight:
185 (+12)
Overall: 27/48 (+11/+0)
Happiness: 52 (+44)

Study Hall:
Weight Training: 15
Football Study: 23
Relaxation: 25

Looking to put on any more pounds that he needs. Henceforth, he'll probably only get 10 in weight training.

Role at Beginning Of Year: CB4
Old 08-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #61
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Oh...at first glance, he'll be the dime back this year and nickel next, barring injury. We signed a 21/90 CB who will be red-shirting this season, but I'm guessing that he's not going to develop enough to pass Nance next year.

We will see about that. I think you are going to have a hard time not giving this new guy the nickel back spot when next year roles around. Huge potential! My guess is this guy already has interceptions maxed out which is something I really like from my nickel back.

Quote:
Study Hall: 20

Are you still planning on giving him some blocks? With those horrible grades last year even with all the blocks he still might need some more.

Quote:
Weight: 185 (+12)
Study Hall: 20
Weight Training: 15
Football Study: 23

For those of you out there having trouble getting your players maxed out lowering the weight training after a large weight increase like this almost always tends to work out. Probably part of the reason SkyDog has won two national championships in the last couple of years.

Quote:
His major is geography, and yes, geology was the one he almost failed. No "Rocks For Jocks" in TCY

I am almost at the point where I don't even want to recruit the geology guys. Time to get a new department head in the geology department.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:18 PM   #62
Ben E Lou

Quote:
For those of you out there having trouble getting your players maxed out lowering the weight training after a large weight increase like this almost always tends to work out.
I use the Time Management screen for nearly everyone after their red-shirt season. I use their freshman year to give them extra time in the weight room, and after that 95-100% of scholarship players are automated by the screen. My non-scholarship players are only on the team to fill out the roster and increase the GPA. I induce 1-3 1500+ guys each year to fill out the roster. They get 20 Study Hall and 30 relaxaation through their career, which usually keeps 'em very happy, and gives 'em a 4.00 GPA. Now that I've figured out good settings for the Time Management Overview screen, time management goes very quickly for me.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:43 AM   #63
Ben E Lou

Week 1 Coaching Blocks: 5
Grades at Week 5: A-,C+,A-,B,C-,A
Week 5 Coaching Blocks: 6
Grades at Week 9: A,C,B+,B+,C-
Week 9 Coaching Blocks: 6
Grades at Week 13: A,C+,B,B,D+
Week 13 Coaching Blocks: 6
Grades at Week 17: A,C+,B,B+,D
Week 17 Coaching Blocks: 6
Final Grades, Year 1: A,C,B+,B,D+

He played in all 13 times, for a total of 223 defensive snaps. He gave up four catches, defensed 1 ball, had 4 tackles, 5 assists, and one tackle for a loss. Ratings rose to 18/40, 35/92, 27/73, 27, 25/54, 29/73, 52 during the season.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:46 AM   #64
Ben E Lou

Beginning of 2026:

His overall rating is now 40/48. He gained 5 more pounds and kept his girlfriend, but happiness dropped 13 points to 39.

More to come this evening...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:04 PM   #65
Ben E Lou

2026 (Sophomore Year)

Weight:
190 (+5)
Overall: 40/48 (+13/+0)
Happiness: 39 (-13)

Study Hall:
Weight Training: 10
Football Study: 27
Relaxation: 26

I'm guessing that he isn't going to gain much more weight.

Role at Beginning Of Year: CB3/Nickel.

An interesting development. The studly youngster leapfrogged up to the starting CB, leaving the option at CB3 between Nance and the 5th-year Senior who I thought would be the starter. The 5th-year guy is rated 48/53 overall, and his coverage skills are barely better than Nance's: 55/60 M2M, 40/42 Zone, 41 Interception. The 5th-year guy is quite solid at run defense (51/65), but that doesn't matter so much in the nickel slot. Should a starter get hurt, the 5th-year guy will start, but Nance will be in the CB3/nickel slot in the depth chart this year.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:09 AM   #66
Ben E Lou

Week 1 Coaching Blocks: 2
Grades at Week 5: D+,B,D,B,B-
Week 5 Coaching Blocks: 6
Grades at Week 9: C,B,D,B,B
Week 9 Coaching Blocks: 6
Grades at Week 13: C+,B,D,B+,B-
Week 13 Coaching Blocks: 8
Grades at Week 17: B,B-,D,B,B
Week 17 Coaching Blocks: 4
Final Grades, Year 3: A,B,D,B,B-

Nance had a nice season as the nickel back. He was on the field for 245 pass plays, and 185 running plays. He had 23 tackls, 4 assists, 3 tackles for losses, 1 hurry, 1 INT, gave up 13 catches, and defensed 8 passes. He had a 20.8 PDPct. He's now rated 40/48 overall, with ratings of 23/40, 66/92, 52/73, 27, 36/54, 51/73, 52.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #67
Ben E Lou

Beginning of 2027:

His overall rating is 36/48. He gained 2 more pounds and his happiness climbed to 41.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #68
Ben E Lou

2027 (Junior Year)

Weight:
192 (+2)
Overall: 36/48 (-4/+0)
Happiness: 41 (+2)

Study Hall:
Weight Training: 10
Football Study: 24
Relaxation: 27

Role at Beginning Of Year: CB3/Nickel.

One of this year's starters is a 5th-year Senior. Nance will have a shot at starting next year if he can develop and not drop back as he did this year.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:19 AM   #69
Ben E Lou

Week 1 Coaching Blocks: 6
Grades at Week 5: A,A,C,C+,A
Week 5 Coaching Blocks: 4
Grades at Week 9: A,A-,C+,C,A
Week 9 Coaching Blocks: 3
Grades at Week 13: A,A-,C,C-,A
Week 13 Coaching Blocks: 2
Grades at Week 17: A,A-,C+,C-,A
Week 17 Coaching Blocks: 2
Final Grades, Year 4: A,A,B-,C,A

On the field, he had another solid year as nickel back. He was in on 280 pass plays and 186 running plays. He had 25 tackles, 8 assists, 2 tackles for loss, 1 hurry, 1 INT (returned for a TD), gave up 14 catches and defense 7 passes, good for a 20.3 PDPct. At the end of the season, he's rated 21/40, 60/92, 46/73, 27, 28/54, 52/73, and 36/48 overall.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:37 AM   #70
Ben E Lou

Beginning of 2028:

His overall rating is 38/48. He gained 2 more pounds and his happiness climbed to 43.

Preliminary indications are that he will be the nickel back once again, although he may end up starting.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:43 PM   #71
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

this thread would probably be good for the reference thread.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:47 PM   #72
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

nice work. I actually looked for the 'sticked' message in this thread, and didn't think that you might have already done it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #73
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
this thread would probably be good for the reference thread.

THE COLLEGE YEARS
Old 02-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #74
C-Bailey
n00b

I was just about to make a new thread bout this, but then i came acrss this thread. Why do players' rating rise in-season, but then the next pre-season the ratings drop back down? I've never understood this. Any thoughts?
C-Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #75
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bailey
I was just about to make a new thread bout this, but then i came acrss this thread. Why do players' rating rise in-season, but then the next pre-season the ratings drop back down? I've never understood this. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I used to notice that happening a lot, especially with my QB's. Don't know what is going on though.

I don't see it happening much anymore, perhaps it was a bug that was fixed in the latest patch?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:19 PM   #76
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bailey

I believe that in season increases are a result of playing time. These don't seem to depend on things like time in the weight room or film watching. The offseason increases are highly dependant on on things like weight room and film watching % and have little(nothing?) to do with playing time for that year. You probably are looking a player who is really dumb and needs tons of study time so he doesn't have time to get any offseason gains. He is still getting playing time though so he is improving during the season only to fall back during the offseason. Punters/Kickers never seem to get any in season gains probably because they just aren't on the field enough to qualify for the in season gains.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #77
C-Bailey
n00b

Quote:
You probably are looking a player who is really dumb and needs tons of study time so he doesn't have time to get any offseason gains. He is still getting playing time though so he is improving during the season only to fall back during the offseason.

You make a good point here, but i've also seen this happen to really smart guys too. While i understand that the in-season increases are because of playing time that's precisely one of the reasons i find this strange because in season development is just as much apart of a player's total development as off-season so the two should work together rather than seperate entities, IMO. Guess this will be one of those things we never really know
C-Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #78
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

I agree that they should work togather but it just doesn't appear that they do. As for the intelligent guys who don't develope if a guy who is getting decent time for offseason work doesn't improve in his first two offseason I pretty much abandon hope for him and recruit hard at his position the next year. I actually believe that more players should fit into this mold of guys who have potential but just don't develope. Way too many players get maxed out by the time they graduate in my opinion.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #79
tdydynasty
Banned

I need advice on recruiting a SC8 school based in Virginia. I attack Richmond and Northern Virginia for recruiting. What would your advice would be. I try to stay instate but some need require to go out of state. For example if i need a QB and the good Qb's are taken, I need to go anywhere to find one.

In real life, Rutgers went to California to find a placekicker.
tdydynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:52 PM   #80
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Focus on in-state recruits early on, then expand to Penn., NJ, NY, etc. Plenty of talent to choose from.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:45 AM   #81
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yep, and go with smart kids - improve your school's academic rep.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:54 AM   #82
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
..but I have stated very clearly that I DON'T care at all about diversity in games. Someone who claims to love diversity should celebrate all kinds of styles (micro, macro, passing QB, option QB, zone, m2m, whatever). I don't claim to love it, so I'm not bound to respect any other way, now am I?

I have come to agree with this all because of one game: FBCB. While there is still diverse ways of playing that game (GM, coach each game and MP), one pretty much plays it as the way it was designed. Now if we can get a college football game that plays like FBCB....
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote