Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Unhappy RIP Col. David Hackworth

I was surfing the web and just found this on the internet. How sad, he died recently and received almost no press coverage. Not even a mention on FOX NEWS, or the Neo Cons who used him as their tool the past few years. Its sad when arguably the greatest soldier the nation ever produced died without any tribute on the major news networks. Rest in Peace Col. and This we'll defend.
May 06, 2005

David Hackworth, decorated Vietnam War veteran, dies

By Joseph R. Chenelly
Times staff writer

Retired Col. David H. Hackworth, a highly decorated soldier and self-described champion of the infantryman, died May 4 in Mexico of cancer.

He was 74.

At 14, as World War II was coming to a close, Hackworth lied about his age to join the Merchant Marine, and at 15 he enlisted in the Army. Over the next 26 years he spent seven in combat. He was nominated for the Medal of Honor three times; the last application is currently under review at the Pentagon, the family said.

He was twice awarded the Army's second highest honor for valor, the Distinguished Service Cross, along with 10 Silver Stars and eight Bronze Stars.

He won his first Silver Star and Purple Heart in Korea, but he repeatedly said he was proudest of his Combat Infantryman's Badge and eight Purple Hearts.

In 1971, he appeared in the field on ABC's Issue and Answers to say Vietnam "is a bad war...it can't be won. We need to get out."

After the interview, he retired from the Army and moved to Australia, where he became a leading spokesman for Australia's anti-nuclear movement for which he was presented the United Nations Medal for Peace.

From 1990 to 1996, as Newsweek Magazine's contributing editor for defense, he covered the first Gulf War as well as peacekeeping battles in Somalia, the Balkans, Korea and Haiti.

He was a regular contributor to national publications, and radio and TV shows. His column, Defending America, has appeared weekly in newspapers across the country and on the Web site of Soldiers For The Truth.

Over the final years of Hackworth's life he battled bladder cancer, which, his family said in a May 5 press release appears “with sinister regularity among Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Blue.”

Hackworth is survived by his wife, four children, a step-daughter, four grandchildren and two step-grandchildren.

The release said he will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors. No date was given.

Soldiers For The Truth is now working on legal action “to compel the Pentagon to recognize Agent Blue alongside the better known Agent Orange as a killer and to help veterans exposed to it during the Vietnam War,” Hackworth’s family said in a press release May 5.

Memorial contributions can be sent to Soldiers For The Truth or by mail to PO Box 54365, Irving, Calif. 92619.

CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
cody8200
High School Varsity

May 06, 2005? Damn man, I never heard a word. I never even saw a blurb in the paper or on the news networks.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200
May 06, 2005? Damn man, I never heard a word. I never even saw a blurb in the paper or on the news networks.
His funeral was on 31 may 05. I think I saw him on a MSNBC as late as mid april of 05.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Wow. That's amazing that it didn't even blip on the news...and to think Michael Jackson's trial was getting shitloads of coverage at that time. A pretty sad state of affairs for our country.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I think Audie Murphy is inarguably the greatest soldier in US history, and hardly anyone remembers him...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
I think Audie Murphy is inarguably the greatest soldier in US history, and hardly anyone remembers him...
He had a good war, that's for sure.

I'd probably side with Robert E. Lee, despite his later choice in armies.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:30 AM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Robert E. had two problems, he could not win the big one, and he couldn't win on the road.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:02 AM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I was looking at this site (Congressional Medal of Honor recipients) the other day, talk about some great soldiers, some of the things they did are so amazing they're almost unbelievable.

http://www.cmohs.org/recipients.htm

Here's one I found from a Special Forces soldier in Vietnam, this was one of THREE times that he was nominated for the award, though you can only win it once.

HOWARD, ROBERT L.

Rank and organization: First Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces. Place and date: Republic of Vietnam, 30 December 1968. Entered service at: Montgomery, Ala. Born: 11 July 1939, Opelika, Ala.

Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. 1st Lt. Howard (then Sfc .), distinguished himself while serving as platoon sergeant of an American-Vietnamese platoon which was on a mission to rescue a missing American soldier in enemy controlled territory in the Republic of Vietnam. The platoon had left its helicopter landing zone and was moving out on its mission when it was attacked by an estimated 2-company force. During the initial engagement, 1st Lt. Howard was wounded and his weapon destroyed by a grenade explosion. 1st Lt. Howard saw his platoon leader had been wounded seriously and was exposed to fire. Although unable to walk, and weaponless, 1st Lt. Howard unhesitatingly crawled through a hail of fire to retrieve his wounded leader. As 1st Lt. Howard was administering first aid and removing the officer's equipment, an enemy bullet struck 1 of the ammunition pouches on the lieutenant's belt, detonating several magazines of ammunition. 1st Lt. Howard momentarily sought cover and then realizing that he must rejoin the platoon, which had been disorganized by the enemy attack, he again began dragging the seriously wounded officer toward the platoon area. Through his outstanding example of indomitable courage and bravery, 1st Lt. Howard was able to rally the platoon into an organized defense force. With complete disregard for his safety, 1st Lt. Howard crawled from position to position, administering first aid to the wounded, giving encouragement to the defenders and directing their fire on the encircling enemy. For 3 1/2 hours 1st Lt. Howard's small force and supporting aircraft successfully repulsed enemy attacks and finally were in sufficient control to permit the landing of rescue helicopters. 1st Lt. Howard personally supervised the loading of his men and did not leave the bullet-swept landing zone until all were aboard safely. 1st Lt. Howard's gallantry in action, his complete devotion to the welfare of his men at the risk of his life were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:06 AM   #9
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
Robert E. had two problems, he could not win the big one, and he couldn't win on the road.
hehehe
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote