Old 07-29-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Do it. DO IT!!!

Posted on Fri, Jul. 29, 2005

Rangers near deal to trade Park

By Kathleen O'Brien

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

TORONTO _ The Texas Rangers are close to a deal that would trade right-handed pitcher Chan Ho Park to the San Diego Padres for Phil Nevin, Rangers officials said.
At this point, they are trying to work out financial details. Park is in the fourth year of a five-year, $65 million contract. Nevin, who plays first base, third base and the outfield, is to make $11 million next year, the final year of his contract. It is still being determined whether one team will pick up excess salary, or if additional players will be involved in the trade.

Park has been a huge disappointment since signing with Texas before the 2002 season. He is 8-5 with a 5.66 ERA this season, and has won a total of 22 games in his four years with the Rangers.

Nevin has driven in more than 100 runs three times, including last season. But he is batting only .256 this year, with nine home runs and 47 RBI. The Padres had reached agreement a few days ago with the Orioles on a trade for Sidney Ponson, but Nevin used his limited no-trade clause to veto the deal.

Park was scheduled to start Friday night in Toronto, in a game that had been billed as Korean Day, with an estimated 5,000 members of the Korean community in the stands. He was pulled shortly before game time, leading to speculation that he had been traded. Confirmation that a trade was close came shortly after from club officials.

Nevin could play a variety of positions for the Rangers. He could occasionally spell first baseman Mark Teixeira and third baseman Hank Blalock, along with playing time in the outfield and as a designated hitter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kathleen O’Brien, (817) 390-7760
[email protected]

email this print this
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Done Deal.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Thank the Lord.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Somewhere, HFP is smiling.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Easy Mac

I was hoping this would be a Starsky and Hutch movie qoute thread.... wait.... there's really nothing to quote
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote