Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Lightbulb There is no substitute

Porsche announces four-door car
Panamera will be introduced in 2009 and will feature coupe-like design.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Porsche will build a four-door car starting in 2009, the company announced Wednesday.

To be called the Panamera, the car will have four doors and four seats but will have a swooping, coupe-like profile. It will have a front-mounted engine driving the rear wheels. Pricing for the car, which is still under development, has not been announced.

The company expects to sell at least 20,000 Panameras per year, according to the announcement, which would make it the company's most popular model by far. Porsche is currently on track to sell about 9,600 Boxster sports cars this year, about 14,000 Cayenne SUVs and about 8,000 911 sports cars.

The Panamera has been rumored for several months and alleged "spy photos" of the car have been published on the Internet and in some publications.

The car, which will be created on an entirely new fundemental architecture, will be built solely by Porsche and will not involve a joint venture with any other company. The Porsche Cayenne SUV was created in cooperation with Volkswagen which sells its own version as the Volkswagen Touareg.

"The Panamera is a perfect fit for Porsche," said Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking, president and CEO of Porsche in a prepared statement.

"It has all the typical DNA characteristics of a genuine sports car," he said. "In terms of performance, design, and driving dynamics, it meets Porsche's high standards in every respect. Through this sports coupe we are making our customers a highly attractive offer in the top performance segment."

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Ryan S
Quarterback

I can't believe that anybody buys the Cayenne.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Porsche announces four-door car
Pricing for the car, which is still under development, has not been announced.

The company expects to sell at least 20,000 Panameras per year, according to the announcement, which would make it the company's most popular model by far.

Porsche buyers are the best. No idea what the price is, but Porsche is pretty sure they can sell 20,000.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:10 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

That thing is kinda mixed looking for me. What is the pricing for this car? Porsche just release a Cayman car, which is pretty cool. I love Porsche, but having one isn't special anymore.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-27-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
Porsche buyers are the best. No idea what the price is, but Porsche is pretty sure they can sell 20,000.

Prolly be around $70k, I am guessing. BMW and Mercedes Benz buyers are the worst. Half of them either lease (and barely can afford it), or are in debt just to have a "BMW".
Old 07-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
mhass
High School Varsity

I know for a fact that the BMW 325 is the most repossessed car in America for just that reason.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I know for a fact that the BMW 325 is the most repossessed car in America for just that reason.

Really?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
mhass
High School Varsity

I did some consulting work for a bank a while back. That is a fact. Keep your eyes open and you can pick up a slightly used 325 from a local bank for a great price.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I did some consulting work for a bank a while back. That is a fact. Keep your eyes open and you can pick up a slightly used 325 from a local bank for a great price.

Interesting. I know a kid that leases a CLK500 (I think it is) Benz and works as a burger guy at a local fast food joint. No rich parents or anything.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
I can't believe that anybody buys the Cayenne.

Don't like the Cayenne? It's kinda grown on me. Plus, I've heard that it is fun to drive. I know the SUV has accounted for like half of the sales at Porsche.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Don't like the Cayenne? It's kinda grown on me. Plus, I've heard that it is fun to drive. I know the SUV has accounted for like half of the sales at Porsche.
I hate the look.

One of my neighbors has a Cayenne turbo. If I wanted a German SUV and a Porsche, I would buy a BMW X3 or X5 and pick up a Boxster with the change rather than buy a Cayenne.

Last edited by Ryan S : 07-28-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I hate the look.

One of my neighbors has a Cayenne turbo. If I wanted a German SUV and a Porsche, I would buy a BMW X3 or X5 and pick up a Boxster with the change rather than buy a Cayenne.

True,
Wealthy neighbor?
Aren't the X5 and the Cayenne the same price?

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-28-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #13
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Interesting. I know a kid that leases a CLK500 (I think it is) Benz and works as a burger guy at a local fast food joint. No rich parents or anything.

Dealin at the BK, eh?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #14
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
True,
Wealthy neighbor?
Aren't the X5 and the Cayenne the same price?

Not as wealthy as the neighbor with the 600bhp Mercedes (AMG CL 65).

The X5 is not nearly as expensive as the Cayenne Turbo, though if you went for the V8 X5 you probably would not have enough change for your Boxster.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #15
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Dealin at the BK, eh?

I don't think so. The kid lives at home, and pretty much doesn't have anything else.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Not as wealthy as the neighbor with the 600bhp Mercedes (AMG CL 65).

The X5 is not nearly as expensive as the Cayenne Turbo, though if you went for the V8 X5 you probably would not have enough change for your Boxster.

Haha...

I love the new Cayman Porsche is putting out. And the supercar GT is sexy. But if you can afford a Cayenne Turbo (according the Website, it starts at $90k (US prices) MSPR) or a high-end V8 X5 (which is starts around $53k for the first model to $73k (US)) for the more powerful model, you prolly can afford a Boxster no problem.

I think that BMW and Mercedes Benz could be in alot of trouble over the top-end models with the downmarket approach they are taking, if Porsche hits another homeroom with this car. And I think the new BMWs are fugly. Plus, when the Boomers start to hit retirement, the luxury car market will get really interesting.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-28-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:38 PM   #17
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Why do banks loan money to these type of people?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:52 PM   #18
mhass
High School Varsity

You can believe they're making money off the group as a whole.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
You can believe they're making money off the group as a whole.

I hope so. Is it just me, or does everyone have a "luxury" car?

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-29-2005 at 03:38 PM.