Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Who Lives In the Chicago Area? (Or Knows Much About It)

Reason being, is I'm thinking of moving up that way sometime in the next half-year to year or so.

You see, I've been dating a girl from the southside of Chicago for a while (met through mutual friends - Business Friend of mine whose wife is a close friend of hers), and we are considering talking this step.

Now, I've been up there 7-8 times in the last few months, but really, what is it like to live up that way? Visiting is one thing, as we all know...

One thing I can say is that you never have to worry about having too much space. Very crowded... A different way of life for sure..

And no, there's no way for her to come down to Florida to live here (which would be awesome).

Thoughts? Thanks!

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

What's her address, and is she hot?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, a followed a Chicago native to here in 1999, and ended up marrying her in 2002.

I was also new to the idea of living in cities, but I think Chicago's a relatively pleasant place to get used to the idea of "big city life". It's very spread-out, so you don't feel as claustrophobic as you do in, say, Eastern cities.

Right now (and probably for the near future) the rental market is great, because everyone's buying condos, so that's good, as far as space goes.

Job market is OK, but bear in mind it's a big city, so there are probably a lot more available jobs than where you're coming from.

I find the people nice and easygoing, and overall it's a pretty fun city to live in. The climate is a bit extreme (quite hot & humid in the summer, very cold in the winter), but you get used to that.

I dunno, that's just some of my rambling thoughts. Have any more specific questions?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
very cold in the winter

How about really f*cking cold and really f*cking windy in the winter? I really can't exagerate how damn cold it is there.

I do like the city though.

Last edited by Desnudo : 05-13-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
davidlando1
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
How about really f*cking cold and really f*cking windy in the winter? I really can't exagerate how damn cold it is there.

Hear, Hear! A great saying is if you don't like the weather in Chicago, wait a minute. It's so true. I've lived in the city for about 4 years now, after growing up in the suburbs. I love the fact that you can get food, gas...pretty much anything you need 24 hours a day. Out in the boonies, things close at 10 or 11. Damn crazy drivers here...red light apparently means that the next two cars go through, then traffic can continue. There's lots of nice people who won't shoot at you, and a few who will. Traffic is a bitch. I can't stress this enough. Especially if you live in the loop area or near Wrigley (which I do). Everything is expensive as hell, and if you live in a condo or an area where it's optional to pay for parking, do yourself a favor and DO IT. Street parking is a myth, much like the under 2.30 gallon of gas. That's all i can think of for now. Welcome to Chicago, now gimme your wallet and Go Bears.
davidlando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlando1
Street parking is a myth

Nah, it's possible. I park on a major street in Lincoln Park with no problem.

Anyway, Chicago's an awesome city! Although if she's from the south side, she's probably tougher than you.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
Daimyo
College Starter

Chicago is a great place to live 7-8 months out of the year. As for the rest of the year... uh... buy a hat, gloves, and a nice warm coat.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Just remember, it's called the Windy City for a reason. Remember that and you're set.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

Move at least another 50 miles north.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:20 AM   #10
davidlando1
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
Move at least another 50 miles north.
he didn't finish the sentence....what he forgot to add was " and your IQ drops another 50 points
davidlando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
red light apparently means that the next two cars go through, then traffic can continue

Now that I've been driving to the suburbs to work for the last month, I've noticed this much more. Also, the left turn arrow comes AFTER the green light, which is totally crazy IMO.

But anyway, Chicago is great! Since lurker and I are both from Michigan, we're probably more used to the cold than someone moving from Florida. It's a fun place.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
st.cronin
General Manager

Chicago is almost certainly the best 'big city' in America.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #13
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Chicago is almost certainly the best 'big city' in America.

What he said. The people will gladly help you out and are not angry as they are in NYC, and not nearly as condescending as those I have witnessed in LA.

It does get damn cold though.

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #14
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Now that I've been driving to the suburbs to work for the last month, I've noticed this much more. Also, the left turn arrow comes AFTER the green light, which is totally crazy IMO.

But anyway, Chicago is great! Since lurker and I are both from Michigan, we're probably more used to the cold than someone moving from Florida. It's a fun place.

After witnessing traffic habits, I'm kind of glad I didn't drive my car out here. In addition to the above, I've noticed that in intersections with left-hand turn lanes, the first car in that lane will almost always try and jack-rabbit speed out and turn in front of the oncoming traffic when the light turns green.

Then again, I'm from the land of hyper non-aggressive driving (the Pacific Northwest) where people are deathly afraid of approaching (to say nothig of surpassing) the speed limit and seem to have no concept of the notion of "keep right except to pass".

I will say I've adapted quite readily to the rampant jay-walking out here. That's another thing that is extremely rare in Seattle.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:47 PM   #15
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Well, after spending some time in the Windy City (I've been visiting every other weekend.. thank you Southwest Airlines and your low fares), you guys are right on after the unique driving methods that exist.

I will be making the move on the weekend of August 20-21, and am looking very forward to it. Anyone live near the Bridgeview/Oak Lawn area? It is considered Southside, but looks to be more Southwest to me (isn't pretty much everything west from Chicago though). I have a job offer up that way already, but you know, I'm finding myself a bit tired of the "Office Space/Cubicle" life.. Maybe I should check out some alternate ideas.. It does come down to $$$$ though, and I doubt that I'll find something making what I make now, not working in a office environment.

Never in my life have I imagined living in the Chicagoland area, but here I go...

Thanks for all the info previously folks. Much appreciated.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #16
Loren
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
Chicago is a great place to live 7-8 months out of the year. As for the rest of the year... uh... buy a hat, gloves, and a nice warm coat.

a VERRRY VERY warm coat.. been there a couple times and even though last dec was kindve mild this tx girl was freezing her ass off, ill be better prepared this Dec for sure..the people seem ok, not like i thought all rude, helpful..it is funny how downtown you can go from one very busy block to a block with nothing but one bum on the corner, i know this as i got stuck there at nite after getting on the wrong bus.. and no one mentioned the train, i LOVE the train in chicago. All the stuff to see and do is great, although it seems like the people who actually live there rarely experience that part of the city..good luck and i hope you really like pizza