Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Paul Abdul under investigation in Fox 'Idol' probe

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/eo/20050728/112259838000.html

Quote:

The countdown is on to determine whether Paula Abdul will keep her job as an American Idol judge.

Fox and the producers of the talent search have launched an investigation into former Idol contestant Corey Clark's claims that he carried on an affair with Abdul before he was booted off the second season of the show.

But if the independent counsel hired to conduct the probe does not complete the task by Aug. 18 when auditions for the fifth season commence, Abdul will be permitted to take her seat between her fellow judges Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell, Fox Entertainment President Peter Liguori said Thursday at the Television Critics Association press tour.

Liguori said that both Clark and Abdul have already been interviewed regarding Clark's allegations.

He said that Abdul had denied some of Clark's claims, but declined to go into details.

"Some allegations were denied," Liguori said. "I don't want to get into the guts of it."

He said that until the independent counsel reaches a final decision, he sees no reason that Abdul shouldn't continue clocking in on the Idol set as usual.

"The audience loves Paula. She continues to get online support," Liguori said. "Her supporters light up our switchboard. We have nothing right now that says she shouldn't report for work."

However, Liguori stressed that the network was taking the investigation into its highest rated show very seriously.

"The credibility of that competition is important to us and we will do everything to maintain the integrity of the show," he said.

Clark, who faded into obscurity following his Idol elimination, resurfaced in April 2005 to expose his allegations against Abdul.

He was the subject of an ABC Primetime Live report titled Fallen Idol, in which he claimed that Abdul had coached him on song choices and given him money to buy expensive clothes. Ultimately, he said, the two became lovers.

Abdul has denounced Clark as a "liar" and refused to dignify his "false statements" with a response.

Shortly after his Primetime expose, Clark released a self-titled album and a tell-all book titled They Told Me to Tell the Truth, So...(The Sex, Lies, and Paulatics of One of America's Idols).

At the time, Fox and the producers of Idol claimed to have "concerns about the motives" of the ABC special. On Thursday, Liguori said he had watched the report and considered the reporting "thin."

"It was suspicious it was done during sweeps when the Idol finals were coming up," he said.

Should the evidence revealed by the probe work against Abdul, the former Laker Girl already has another gig in the works.

Abdul has been tapped as a roving correspondent on Fox's new reality series, So You Think You Can Dance, the network's apparent answer to ABC's Dancing with the Stars.

The "Forever Your Girl" singer's duties consist of traveling the country to "teach large groups of real people how to find their groove thing and really shake it."

Though Abdul's air date has not yet been announced, Dance has already proven to have moves.

Last week's premiere of the groove contest drew 10.3 million viewers, landing it a third-place finish in the ratings.

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-29-2005 at 01:05 AM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:07 AM   #2
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Must be her husband.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
The "Forever Your Girl" singer's duties consist of traveling the country to "teach large groups of real people how to find their groove thing and really shake it."
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

he he. He said "probe."
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

I'd still hit it. But I'd wear a rubber, Magic Johnson's been there.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:31 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I'd still hit it. But I'd wear a rubber, Magic Johnson's been there.

Mr. President, who will you nominate to replace Ms. Abdul if she's found guilty and is forced to resign her post?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Mr. President, who will you nominate to replace Ms. Abdul if she's found guilty and is forced to resign her post?

Terri Hatcher, but only if she has some wild & crazy van sex with me.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:39 AM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Terri Hatcher, but only if she has some wild & crazy van sex with me.

Excellent choice, Mr. President. I just sincerely hope that the process will be civil.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

This is all part of the vast right-wing conspiracy.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

If she and Randy "Dawg" Jackson get booted, I could care less. No, actually it would be good for the show. Paula's an idiot and Randy is her half-wit brother.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #11
hhiipp
College Prospect

Paul was always the sluttier of the 2 Abduls.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #12
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
Paul was always the sluttier of the 2 Abduls.
Yeah, Kareem could never shake his groove thing enticingly enough.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote