Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Work Craziness

After a two week vacation my first week back was very interesting to say the least.

June 30
I sent the mandatory email stating I would be on vacation for two weeks, well the dumb bitch HR Leader replies "I do not have you on my calendar as being off." Which irritated me because the way things work there is our boss approves our vacation and tracks it, "I replied well Dave approved it so I am taking it." Which likely pissed her off.

July 6
During that two weeks I came in for 1/2 a day to check up on my email, not many people were around because everyone was on vacation. Except the dumb bitch HR Leader, who called me into her office. Apparentally my internet usage was deemed unacceptable, which I agree and have since no longer used the internet for personal use since then. Well she wrote me up (first offense!) and I was pissed off, then she had the nerve to say she was going to fire me if she had to after I already told her I would stop.

July 18
After much thought I decide that I am interested in putting my name in for a "promotion" basically a $8000/yr raise but the hours are 2:30p-11:30p (2nd Shift Supervisor). I ask the Plant Manager if they are filling the position still and indicated that I may be interested. He replies "Yes we are filling it and it is a position I would like to see you in." So I think about it and submit my resume to dumb bitch HR Leader.

July 19
My boss's first day back from vacation, I guess he is already aware of my run in with the HR Leader and the fact that I applied for the promotion. It just happens to be review time, we go into the conference room. I asked for more responsibility, he chuckles and asks if that would keep me off the internet. I laughed and said probably. He says "Well that bitch wrote you up and I have tried to get that out of your file but she will not remove it." He was fuming mad, I guess there are a couple of other people in tne department that got busted BUT did NOT get written up. Then we talked about the promotion and how there are some things that are going to happen by the end of the month that will probably lead to more opportunities for me.

Comments
The rest of the week went pretty smooth, I am a little shocked that I haven't had my interview for the promotion yet usually the internal thing goes quickly but the people that needed to be there were out a few days so that may have prevented it.

The whole putting shit in my file for my first offense when that has not happened to other people has me very pissed off, I want to go to the Plant Manager and ask him to remove it but I am in the running for this promotion so I don't want to bring anymore attention to that. I was told yesterday that I should go above her and ask her boss to remove it because I guess her boss is looking for a reason to fire her and whatever.

All these jobs opening up, there are a couple I want that I see possibly opening up. So I don't know what to do with that, but if I wait to see if something better comes up I may get stuck where I am at.

Questions
Anyone ever work 2nd shift? How is it?

Should I just suck it up and not worry about the being written up thing?

Thoughts?

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Should I just suck it up and not worry about the being written up thing?

Yes.

Bottom line, you screwed up. It does not matter, and frankly isnt' your business, whether others were written up. You broke company policy and knew it, so she had every right to write you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't have much to offer on the HR bitch, but I'll give you .02 worth on the 2nd shift.

During my years in radio, I worked pretty much every shift imaginable at one time or another. Your reaction to anything other than standard 9-5/8-4 is probably going to be dictated a lot by the rest of your lifestyle. Married? Kids? Outside interests?

When I was younger, single, fewer "have-to" items in my life, I loved being on a different time schedule than most of the rest of the world. I found my own routine & liked it, far more than I ever enjoyed a "normal" schedule. But it'd be a major league bitch, I think, to fit my current life around that same schedule today.

I will say that I spent probably the least amount of time on a second-shift schedule though (did a lot of 5a-2p or midnight-daylight shifts), so maybe there's things about it that are unique challenges.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ask the chick out and post the details after the date.

But seriously, good luck with the promotion.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
Silver Owl
High School JV

I worked 2nd shift 3:00pm - 11:00pm or midnight in a manufacturing plant for 16 years. I loved it when I was single and before kids came along. When the kids started school I would never see them except weekends.

I had alot of problems trying to come straight home and going to bed, so I would end up going to bed around 3:00-4:00 in the morning and getting up at 11:00 or so.

so,
2nd shift + single = good
2nd shift + married and kids = bad
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My wife works the second shift and that was fine when my schedule was much less organized. However, I hate it now that I work 8-5 most days. We only see each other on weekend mornings

When I was single, I loved working the second shift.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Are you union? If so, file a grievence on the HR Bitch for desparate of treatment, since she wrote you up and did not write up anyone else and then file another grievence on her for not having your union representation present while writing you up and then file another grievence on her for unprofessional behavior just for being a bitch. That's 3 write ups to your 1. Now you negotiate that you will drop your grievences if she takes out and rips up that write up. If you're not union, then get that promotion, become her boss and fire the bitch and when she asks why, tell her its because she's been on the internet too much.

Seriously though, if your boss is to be taken at face value, it seems like he is not overly concerned with you being written up and in turn, he will probably be talking to the person who has the final say on who gets the job or not, it sounds like you don't have much to worry about.

Good luck man, hope you get the promotion.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'd just say try to burn fewer bridges in the future. A.K.A. I lost a paycheck a while ago, so the secretary took care of it for me and had it reissued (she could have told me to deal with HR or payroll or whatever which in a huge retail company would be a PITA). So at my other job I work for a catering company, and I arranged to get her a cheap-o tray of Italian cookies (actually got them for free).

Ever since then, life has been much-o easy on me. I take 45 minute lunches, she doesn't bug me (other people she harasses if they go 31 minutes). I lose shit all the time; she gets me new stuff, etc.

With my very limited experience in a working environment, it seems like a little bit can go a LONG way.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #9
Hoya1
High School JV

It sounds like you're in a manufacturing facility. What do you do in your current job? Where can it take you? It sounds like you can't be doing too bad if you've got your own cpu and internet access.
The problem with 2nd shift is, in my experience, once you're on, you're stuck. I've seen guys stuck there for years.
Again to re-iterate a previous comment, if you've got a family, you don't want this shift.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #10
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm single, not dating anyone, no kids, no nothing. Generally I go out after 11:00 on the weekends anyways. My big thing is I can take day classes with this new job which could get me through school a lot quicker. A negative is the baseball coaching gig would be over as well.

My current job is a dead end, mostly because I do not want to do what I am doing. I am in Supplier Quality, I am just working there because they are paying for some of my school and then I am getting the hell out.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #11
Hoya1
High School JV

Most guys who are SQA's move up the ladder quite nicely. You get treated well by your suppliers, and reap the benefits.
Straight days isn't too bad either. If you're in need of any plastic suppliers, let me know!
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote