Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

FOF: Insane contract

Okay, I'm sure we've all seen player contracts get out of hand as you go through the seasons, but in the 2012 game I'm running for one of my dynasties, Ben Roethlisberger has been asking for insane amounts of money. I mean insane. He signed with the Giants this year for a 6 year, $209 million contract. Yes, and that includes everyone's favorite, a whopping $132 million signing bonus! I'd really like to see the Giants balance sheet for this season, that bonus alone will probably put them in the red. Big Ben is about the 7th or 8th best QB in the league, but for some years now its like he's asking for exorbitant sums. Wow is all I can say.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
vtbub
College Starter

Drew Rosenhaus his agent?

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

What % of the team salary cap does he occupy? (And will he by the end of the contract, if it holds?)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The first year it's not so bad, since his first year salary is a token 1 million, so right now he's only at a cap number of $22 million out of a total cap of $117.8 mill. But next year his cap number will be $37 million, then going up 2 or 3 million a year after that until it's almost $46 million in his last year. That will be probably 28-30% of the cap with increases by then.

The real weird thing is that there isn't some massive inflation of QB values, I checked all the top 10 QBs and they all had normal (and much lower) contracts. The only comparison was Peyton Manning, but he's an all-world veteran and was only signing a 2 year deal, where he got $30 million as a bonus.

Last edited by Peregrine : 07-23-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Really strange to see it so much higher than compoarable players'.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I had a guy ask for an average of 20% of the cap the other day, something like a 6 year 120 million dollar deal with a 100 million dollar cap.

How did the giants owner allow such an insane bonus? I almost never see a situation where i can even give a 50 million dollar bonus. Might be cause im in the red tho.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Peregrine
Pro Starter

As a comparison, QB Chester Webb, who is within points of Ben as a QB, and younger, just signed a new deal, $59 million over 5 years. Much more along the lines of what I'd expect.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I look at this as a strength of the FOF engine, rather than a weakness. Seems cool to me that occasionally GM's are capable of making a rather large gaffe, with it being a very infrequent occurance.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I know it's random, but looking at the Giants roster does make it seem like they've got a spendthrift, "damn the bonuses, full speed ahead" Dan Snyder type owner. They also still have Shockey on their team, and didn't renegotiate him, so he has a cap number of $16 million from his old signing bonus. Those two players cost them 31% of their salary cap this year!
Old 07-23-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

just had the total opposite happen. MLB with 5 years experience, currently rated 55/66 (with a 100 loyalty though) just resigned off his rookie deal for 550k this year and 900k next year, with virtually no bonus. And it's not a case of injury either, guy has only missed 4 games over the 5 years, and has started all 16 games for 3 years straight. I was like "sweet...thanks!" and ran!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:00 PM   #11
amdaily
College Prospect

I still say it is a design flaw. Way back when after the last patch I simmed a multiple seasons and was comparing salries (specifically QB salaries) to real life (not only inflation adjusted amounts, but percentage of the cap, etc).

In a 3 year test I saw a 70's rated QB demanding an average of 16% of a teams cap space, a 80's rated QB demand 15% of the cap, and a 70's rated QB demand 19% of the cap, among others.

For some perspective, if you average out the total value of Manning's astronomical contract last season ($98 million / 7 years = $14 million / $80 million[cap] = 17.5%). And that contract is one of those very rare things. In only 3 seasons, 5 FOF players signed contracts of equal or greater value.

That multiple average players demand such Manningesque contracts every season, both the finances, cap space, and competiviness of the AI are all hurt.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

this is true. i have sorta always thought QB finances were a bit out of whack. Course I always countered that by just drafting a mid-round QB and grooming him, having "one in the pipeline" constantly to get a year or two out of before having to let them go, in rare cases where they didn't have ridiculous demands then signing them longterm.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:14 PM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I agree that there has always been something a bit off with the salary demands, amdaily, that has come up often in the past in discussion. This seems to be more of a one-time wacko demand though, since it was astronomically higher than even other 75 or 80 rated QBs. I do agree that the main problems remaining with FOF right now is the free agent system (too many good players left unsigned, to be scarfed up for minimum one-year deals) and the salary structure in some cases.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:54 PM   #14
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I agree that there has always been something a bit off with the salary demands, amdaily, that has come up often in the past in discussion. This seems to be more of a one-time wacko demand though, since it was astronomically higher than even other 75 or 80 rated QBs. I do agree that the main problems remaining with FOF right now is the free agent system (too many good players left unsigned, to be scarfed up for minimum one-year deals) and the salary structure in some cases.

Certainly. I didn't mean to threadjack, but it was as good a time to bring it back up as any I guess
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote