Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
sooner333
College Starter

MLB.tv

Anyone know if this is included with MSN premium again this year...I would sign up for their free trial if it is...but I can't really find out anything about it on either site.

sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Ryan S
Quarterback

Is it just me, or does the video quality appear to have gone downhill recently on MLB.tv?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
Is it just me, or does the video quality appear to have gone downhill recently on MLB.tv?

Thanks for the heads up. I'm really on the fence with signing up this year. For $99 for the entire season, it really is a good deal considering you get all the other neat stuff like audio for all the games, condenced games, and press pass notes. But if the quality has gone downhill, it might not be worth it. I suppose its gotten somewhat more popular, and they don't want to upgrade so the mearly downgrade the video quality.

Also on a side note, has anyone here figured out how to get more than 1 game to play at once? I suppose its more of a real player issue than anything.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I love MLB.tv, but haven't watched a spring training game. I wouldn't judge the product for the regular season on how a ST game looks.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Cuckoo
College Starter

Question: Are they going to continue to allow people to buy one game at a time like they did last season or do you have to sign up for the subscription?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
Ryan S
Quarterback

I could be wrong, but it just seems like the quality went downhill in the second half of spring training.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Philliesfan980
Banned

Is it possible to watch more than 1 game at a time?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Ryan S
Quarterback

I don't think so. I guess it might be possible if you use two different browsers, but that is not an elegant solution.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
sooner333
College Starter

So we're not sure if you can use this with the free trial of MSN premium again this year?

Also, you might be able to by using real player for one game and having the game play in real player instead of that window, then playing another game in media player.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #10
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Question: Are they going to continue to allow people to buy one game at a time like they did last season or do you have to sign up for the subscription?

Does anyone know the answer to this?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I'm a Cubs fan and am considering getting mlbtv. I was looking into it and saw where you check to see if you're in the blackout area. I live in NW Iowa and my
zip showed up being in the blackout area. I think holy sh** is that right? If I drive to Chicago it takes about 7 1\2 hours just to get there and I'm in the blackout area? Just doesn't seem right.

With regard to the blackouts. Is it like the nfl, if the game is sold out is the blackout lifted? If the blackouts are lifted does the game have to be 100% soldout or will some other high percentage trigger the lifting of the BO (85, 90, 95%)?

I don't mind the $79 to buy it but if most of the home games are blackedout because only 36,000 are there then it's certainly not worth it to me.

Any other opinions good or bad on getting mlbtv also would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #12
sooner333
College Starter

My zip code was in the blackout areas of about five teams and I don't recall having a problem with it. When I was at school in Chicago, the Cubs and Sox games were blacked out...but in OKC, I don't think they were. Plus, there ino blackout based on sellouts, it's to protect the ratings of the local broadcasters who have rights in the area.

Also, I found out that it is NOT included in MSN Premium this year.

Last edited by sooner333 : 04-05-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
SunDevil
College Prospect

Also remember that if a game is blacked out and you can not watch it live, you can watch it as an archive. So if you wait an hour or two after the game is over and want to still watch it, you can.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #14
sooner333
College Starter

I wonder if it's worth the extra 70 bucks for MLB Extra Innings on digital cable...any insights?

Last edited by sooner333 : 04-05-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #15
SunDevil
College Prospect

Well on cable you need to be home when the games are on. With MLB.tv you can watch the games whenever you want because they are archived. You can even watch games from last year. I guess if you had TIVO you can record the games and then watch them. I guess it depends on what you want.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #16
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Well on cable you need to be home when the games are on. With MLB.tv you can watch the games whenever you want because they are archived. You can even watch games from last year. I guess if you had TIVO you can record the games and then watch them. I guess it depends on what you want.

Yeah, I have Cox DVR, but the online thing is cheaper and more convenient as to where to watch...so I guess you're trading cost and convenience for better picture. All that being said, I'll probably get neither because I could use the money for Taco Bell.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #17
SunDevil
College Prospect

Or could buy MLB Radio for 14.95 for the whole season and just listen to the games. I have done this for the past 2 years and I have been happy with it. It usually gives you the option of both home and away radio broadcasts to listen to.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #18
sooner333
College Starter

Yeah, I did that the year before, but I start doing other things and I lose track of what's going on. I guess I'm just part of this generation's lack of concentration for more than a minute at a time. That being said, I'll probably get the radio if I decide to not get either video package.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 PM   #19
jbmagic
Pro Starter

mlb.com

or you can do the live scoreboard that free , no audio. but its one of the best i seen at mlb.com
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #20
samifan24
Pro Starter

Does anyone else have a problem that the game cuts out when in full screen mode? About once an inning or so, I have to get up and reload the game and put it back into full screen mode because I lose the game. I have nothing else running which might interfere with the active window, so I don't know what the problem could be.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #21
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Does anyone else have a problem that the game cuts out when in full screen mode? About once an inning or so, I have to get up and reload the game and put it back into full screen mode because I lose the game. I have nothing else running which might interfere with the active window, so I don't know what the problem could be.

I have screensaver issues with it in full screen. It will just go black and I need to control alt delete to get back.

The obvious solution worked.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #22
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I have screensaver issues with it in full screen. It will just go black and I need to control alt delete to get back.

The obvious solution worked.

I turned off my screensaver and power save options before watching the Indians/Tigers game today so I know that's not the problem.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:55 PM   #23
Francis_Cole
SI Games

Its pretty good I find.. I agree the quality and random freezing (It doens't say its re-buffering or anything it the picture just freezes but you can still hear the audio) is slightly annoying but its still pretty good.

If only the NFL version was half as good
Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 AM   #24
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Just got MLB.tv today. Was pissed off earlier when I realized I was blacked out of Braves games from freakin' North Carolina. Also Washington Nationals games, apparently.

So I'm waiting for the Braves game to become available... finally it does just a few minutes ago. I pop it open and prepare to kick back and watch it, when I see the ticker running at the bottom of the MLB.tv window: "Braves 6, Giants 1".

Thanks alot.

edit: Woohoo! Andruw just hit a 2-run homer!
edit(2): Chipper too! Wouldn't this have been fun to watch either live or without it having been ruined.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 07-19-2005 at 12:46 AM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:48 AM   #25
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

And now it cuts off on me and I realize I can't watch more than five minutes: "Due to broadcast restrictions, new MLB.TV and Condensed Game archives are limited to a playing time of five minutes in duration until 6 am ET on the day following that on which the applicable game commenced play."

Yeh, I'm cancelling this shit tommorow.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:47 AM   #26
Ryan S
Quarterback

Try accessing the site through a non american proxy to see if it removes the blackout restrictions.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #27
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
Try accessing the site through a non american proxy to see if it removes the blackout restrictions.

How do you do that?