Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Media's outrage towards Kenny Rogers

Seriously, what is up with the media's over the top outrage at Kenny Rogers? You'd think he'd raped 9 Malaysian blind kids working in a sweatshop while killing their mothers. I mean, Kobe raped a woman, and he wasn't reviled nearly as much as Rogers has been. WIlbon was on PTI calling for a longer suspension... Why? Did Rogers ever actually touch the cameraman? Everytime I see it on TV, they talk about him hitting the cameraman. I've watched the video far more than is necessary, and I honestly don't think he physically made any contact with the cameraman. This wouldn't have been a story if the guy wasn't faking an injury or just dropped the fucking camera.

Should Rogers be suspended? Sure, 20 games is fine by me. But the whole "criminal charges" for assault (what the fuck? Maybe desctruction of property) and the "outrage" that he only got 20 games (pretty much the same Rodman got for kicking a camera man, actually touching him). Is it just a slow time for the media right now?

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
This wouldn't have been a story if the guy wasn't faking an injury or just dropped the fucking camera.

Yea, what an idiot. This guy should have just dropped his job while he was at. Might as well break your camera and retire than stand up to a guy who doesn't want to be filmed.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I agree with you 100% but you know what it really is. It's the "he attacked one of our own so we're going after him" mentality. If he had attacked a lawyer, you'd see all kinds of crazy legal proceedings. But he went after a reporter so it's like killing children to them. In other words, they're scared something will happen to them so they have to vilify him as much as humanly possible.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I like how David Wells only got 6 games for basically pushing an umpire during a game. Makes a lot of sense.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

You've got to know when to hold em. Know when to fold em...
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
But the whole "criminal charges" for assault (what the fuck? Maybe desctruction of property)

Well it's a clear cut case of battery. Battery involves the unwanted touching of a person or something connected to the person (a camera qualifies). Assault is attempted battery (basically). So assault and battery fit here, even if the guy had no injuries at all.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Why is he being charged with assault? Because he assaulted a person, it was caught on film and that person decided to press charges. Your comparisons to Kobe are way off base. Kobe WAS villified, (moreso than Rodgers even) but the simple fact is that there was no real proof that he committed a crime. Does the fact that he assaulted a member of the media add to the amount of coverage that the story receives? I am sure it does a little. However, having the attack on tape increases the coverage of if 20 times more.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Kobe was found guilty?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Suspending starting pitchers is always a tricky thing, since they only play once out of 5 days. Essentially he only misses 4 or 5 starts from this whole mess.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I think he should have some of the time reduced on the suspension, because when he found out the camera man was in the hospital, he...

wait for it...

wait for it...

just dropped in, to see what condition his condition was in.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2110421

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers had another run-in with a cameraman Monday when he turned himself in on misdemeanor assault charges stemming from an earlier tirade against two cameramen.

Kenny Rogers
Rogers

The three-time All-Star, who is appealing a 20-game suspension and $50,000 fine, was released after posting $1,500 bond. Contrary to earlier reports, there has been no hearing date set for Rogers to appeal his suspension, players' association officials said Monday.

Rogers jawed at a cameraman for Dallas-Fort Worth television station WFAA as he was booked into the county jail. Just as with the incident that led to the charges, the exchange was caught on tape.

WFAA reported on its Web site Monday that photographer Mike Zukerman was videotaping the procedure when Rogers turned to him and said, "You're getting really close; you know that? Do you hear me?"

A few seconds later, Rogers again turned to the camera, saying, "You must be pretty proud of yourself, too."

After Zukerman replied, "It's just my job, Kenny," Rogers responded: "Yeah. Your job. That's just your excuse."

The Rangers declined to comment, referring questions to Rogers' attorney, who didn't return a telephone call.

Rogers, 40, faces a Class A misdemeanor charge of assault with injury in the shoving of KDFW-TV cameraman Larry Rodriguez, Arlington police spokeswoman Christy Gilfour said.

Police also will mail to Rogers' attorney a Class C misdemeanor assault citation for the shoving of Fox Sports Net Southwest cameraman David Mammeli, Gilfour said.

A Class A misdemeanor is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $4,000, or both. A Class C misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

On June 29, Rogers lashed out at the cameramen as they taped him walking to the field for pregame stretching. The episode led to Rodriguez being treated at a hospital after the camera was ripped from his hands and thrown to the ground.

Rogers apologized a week later, saying the incident was out of character and would never happen again.

Gilfour said Fox Sports -- which owns the camera Rogers damaged in the shoving of Rodriguez -- has declined to press criminal charges.

Rogers was booed at last week's All-Star Game, but he said he came because he wanted the players who voted for him to know he appreciated it. He didn't want those votes to be wasted.

Before giving up six runs and 10 hits in 3 1/3 innings at Los Angeles on June 22, Rogers won nine straight decisions, a career best, and was the AL ERA leader. It wasn't known until after he pulled out of a start June 28 against the Angels that he had a broken bone in his non-pitching hand by punching a water cooler 11 days earlier.

Okay, now either this guy is a complete idiot or he has some issues that are running deeper than a little anti-media sentiment. Or maybe both.

Personally, I'm guessing that his wife was caught in an affair with a camerman at some point or something.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
Ryan S
Quarterback

I think that what happened today was barely worth reporting. People complain about TV cameras all the time without it making the front page of ESPN.com

Last edited by Ryan S : 07-18-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, but you think that oaf would let it slide this one time.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Rogers jawed at a cameraman for Dallas-Fort Worth television station WFAA as he was booked into the county jail. Just as with the incident that led to the charges, the exchange was caught on tape.

WFAA reported on its Web site Monday that photographer Mike Zukerman was videotaping the procedure when Rogers turned to him and said, "You're getting really close; you know that? Do you hear me?"

A few seconds later, Rogers again turned to the camera, saying, "You must be pretty proud of yourself, too."

After Zukerman replied, "It's just my job, Kenny," Rogers responded: "Yeah. Your job. That's just your excuse."

The Rangers declined to comment, referring questions to Rogers' attorney, who didn't return a telephone call.

I kindof have a problem with them sending the same guy out there and him getting close to Rogers to film stuff. If this guy was really scared or intimidated or whatever, he'd be staying away from Rogers. Instead, he's right there, close to Rogers, by the sound of it.

It's like walking into a "bad" neighborhood at night in a suit and luxury car and wondering why you got robbed. No, you didn't do anything wrong in that you weren't doing the crime, but you sure were stupid and should have known better.

SI

Old 07-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think it's kinda become a self-perpetuating thing at this point...he has pissed off a member of the 5th estate so now everyone is not necessarily gunning for him, but everyone is kinda seeing just how much they can push his buttons or take it, until he is forced to pay the price.

does that make sense?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i think it's kinda become a self-perpetuating thing at this point...he has pissed off a member of the 5th estate so now everyone is not necessarily gunning for him, but everyone is kinda seeing just how much they can push his buttons or take it, until he is forced to pay the price.

does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. I'm just saying I don't like it. (also, isn't the press one of the four estates, hence not the 5th estate?)

SI

Old 07-18-2005, 11:22 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
It makes perfect sense. I'm just saying I don't like it. (also, isn't the press one of the four estates, hence not the 5th estate?)

SI

okay...yeah that may be so. maybe i misspoke, I don't know.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I kindof have a problem with them sending the same guy out there and him getting close to Rogers to film stuff.

One of us must be reading that wrong, because I don't believe it was the same guy.

photographer Mike Zukerman was videotaping the procedure when Rogers

and then
Rogers, 40, faces a Class A misdemeanor charge of assault with injury in the shoving of KDFW-TV cameraman Larry Rodriguez

This appears to be a different guy from a different station. Or am I just missing something here somewhere?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-18-2005 at 11:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:24 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fifth estate
n.

A class or group in society other than the nobility, the clergy, the middle class, and the press.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #20
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

he should be suspended longer and get jail time. assault is assault.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 AM   #21
korme
Go Reds

SI, you a big Rogers fan or something? The cameraman should stay away? It's a different guy, doing his (same) job. You're joking if you are completely 100% trying to take Kenny's side here.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:02 AM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
One of us must be reading that wrong, because I don't believe it was the same guy.

photographer Mike Zukerman was videotaping the procedure when Rogers

and then
Rogers, 40, faces a Class A misdemeanor charge of assault with injury in the shoving of KDFW-TV cameraman Larry Rodriguez

This appears to be a different guy from a different station. Or am I just missing something here somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
SI, you a big Rogers fan or something? The cameraman should stay away? It's a different guy, doing his (same) job. You're joking if you are completely 100% trying to take Kenny's side here.

Whoops. I completely misread it: I thought it was the same guy.

SI

Old 07-19-2005, 07:06 AM   #23
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

He is just pissed he has to constantly hear "The Gambler" jokes for the rest of his life.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote