Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

OT: South Park Last Night

Last nights South Park was genius. It did make light of the whole Terri Schiavo thing, but the way it ended was probably the perfect ending.

For those who didn't see it, Kenny gets the new PSP and this game Heaven and Hell. He gets to level 60 as Heavens general stopping Hells attacks. As this goes on Hell is plotting to storm Heaven, so God made the PSP to see who was best at Heaven and Hell. Kenny is killed and about to lead the troops in Heaven but is brought back by a Feeding tube. Cartman is in Kennys will as getting the the PSP, so he goes to congress saying Kenny was his "BFF" and that he wanted to die. Kyle and Stan were trying to save Kenny. It ends when Kennys lawyer find his will that says if he goes into a vegatative state, he doesn't want to be put all over the media, causing everyone to look stupid.

It was pretty damn good.

The part about if you can't trust a BFF then all the BFF necklaces will become useless was so funny. Oh man.

Parker and Stone do the best job of anyone at poking fun at hot topics. Like them or not, these guys are damn smart.

So if you did see it, what are your thoughts?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was going to post the same thing last night after watching it. Truly genius. And timely. In fact, my question last night was going to be - how much lead time do they need to create these episodes?! I remember seeing an episode with Saddam - using the disheveled pic of Saddam - like a week or two after he was captured.

BTW, for those who didn't see it and don't know, BFF stands for Best Friends Forever. Cartman was arguing to the Colorado Supreme Court, and when challenged that Kenny's parents wanted him to live, he broke out the BFF argument, showed the half-necklace, and they ruled in his favor. BFF status trumps all!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I was going to post the same thing last night after watching it. Truly genius. And timely. In fact, my question last night was going to be - how much lead time do they need to create these episodes?! I remember seeing an episode with Saddam - using the disheveled pic of Saddam - like a week or two after he was captured.

BTW, for those who didn't see it and don't know, BFF stands for Best Friends Forever. Cartman was arguing to the Colorado Supreme Court, and when challenged that Kenny's parents wanted him to live, he broke out the BFF argument, showed the half-necklace, and they ruled in his favor. BFF status trumps all!

Ha yeah indeed. These guys have to do this in a week or two, because there is no way that was a pre-made episode obviously. The work they have to do to do something like that in a week or two is just crazy to think about. It makes me respect them that much more.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, i cant believe i missed this. I think they can turnaround an episode in 2-3 weeks if they have enough of a budget to work with.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Man, i cant believe i missed this. I think they can turnaround an episode in 2-3 weeks if they have enough of a budget to work with.

It'll be on two or three times Saturday, and the same Sunday so it's not at a loss. I really suggest you watch it, you'll laugh your ass off.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yep, they have a great ability to take a hot topic, and give a dressing down to both sides of an arguement, and still not come across as preachy or favoring one side over the other.

I think they can change the content of the shows up until the day before they air. I remember back during the Elian Gonzalez saga, that they had scenes from that in the show three days after it happened.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Yep, they have a great ability to take a hot topic, and give a dressing down to both sides of an arguement, and still not come across as preachy or favoring one side over the other.

I think they can change the content of the shows up until the day before they air. I remember back during the Elian Gonzalez saga, that they had scenes from that in the show three days after it happened.

Agreed on the ability to slant it to both sides. The school mascot debate during the election was another priceless episode where both sides were made out to be idiots.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i think theyve done entire episodes within 1 week of airing. i remember them doing that when the presidential election was hung up between gore and bush. like 2 days later, an episode about the kindergarten class president episode aired.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I remember the episode they put out right after episode one with the JarJar esque character. I couldnt believe how quickly they put that one together.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

South Park, unlike the Simpsons, seemingly gets better every new season. I can't believe how hard I've been laughing at this season.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

damn, I forgot to record this last night, I'll have to catch a rerun. The Osama episode and the sea monkeys(SIMPSONS DID IT) are easily my favorite two episodes ever.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:50 PM   #12
Ksyrup

They have, just recently, rerun new episodes the next night at 10pm again. So it should be on tonight.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-31-2005, 12:51 PM   #13
Ksyrup

Quote:

You would know.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
You would know.

Thank you for acknowledging my authoritah

Old 03-31-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
South Park, unlike the Simpsons, seemingly gets better every new season. I can't believe how hard I've been laughing at this season.
Don't diss the Simpsons .... still brilliant after all these years imho
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The best part though was one that didn't skewer any side, but had the angel remark on how cool the battle was and it was 'better than LOTR', but never showed any part of the battle. That was genius.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:30 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

Back when they started out, it took them a long time to create a new episode because they did it all by hand (setting up the scene). Now they do it all with computers, and South Park doesn't have the most...advanced animation. It's just just swapping in and out cut outs. I can easily see how they could draw and render an entire show within a day or two (writing the script and recording the audio probably takes longer. And of course, if they have any really cool computer animation anywhere in the episode, that would up the time to make the episode significantly).

Not saying it's easy, but just saying the way the show does its animation makes it a much faster process since the computer doesn't have to really render anything complex. Although, like I said before, sometimes they do throw in some really cool effects. I'm sure those would add in a lot of time. (Notice how these topical shows never really seem to have anything "cool" in them, graphics wise. )

And yes, last night's episode was great.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:08 PM   #18
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan

I'll be truly impressed with South Park if they can still be great after 15 years.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:58 AM   #19
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan

Thats easy for you to say.. simpsons is like what.. 4 seasons behind in europe? its still funny then (just kidding!)
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:27 AM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I caught this last night. Pretty darn hilarious.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:07 AM   #21
miked
College Starter

They have some balls, but it was darn funny. Nothing is off limits I suppose.

On another note, did anyone see Team America: World Police? It looked funny but I never quite got around to it.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #22
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great episode
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #23
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked

On another note, did anyone see Team America: World Police? It looked funny but I never quite got around to it.

I thought it was hilarious, one of the funniest movies ive ever seen. From FAG, to the songs, to the sex scene, the plastic surgery, and the misses with the rockets it was flat out a non-stop laugh. This should be a rental for any fan of south park!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #24
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked

I missed it as well, but defnitely am going to see it. The DVD release date is mid-May.

On a related note, Orgasmo was finally released this week on DVD.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #25
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Thats easy for you to say.. simpsons is like what.. 4 seasons behind in europe? its still funny then (just kidding!)

Thats the advantage of having an American wife, her family send us updates on real-life and post us electricity and levi jeans from time to time
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #26
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I missed it as well, but defnitely am going to see it. The DVD release date is mid-May.

On a related note, Orgasmo was finally released this week on DVD.

Finally got around to watching the copy of Team America: World Police that I ordered. A brilliant movie! Trey Parker really knows how to write some good music, then come up with completely off the wall lyrics that work. The movie is worth seeing just for the bit about the three types of people in the world. To keep from being banninated, I won't quote any of it here...
Old 07-18-2005, 05:23 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Finally got around to watching the copy of Team America: World Police that I ordered. A brilliant movie! Trey Parker really knows how to write some good music, then come up with completely off the wall lyrics that work. The movie is worth seeing just for the bit about the three types of people in the world. To keep from being banninated, I won't quote any of it here...

Cartman has ... Hey Magic Johnson!
Old 07-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #28
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I saw it in the theater, loved it. Then I saw the unrated movie, decided I prefered the R version .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #29
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I think that I heard them say it takes about 4 weeks to create a new show from scratch. This compared to the 8 months is takes the simpsons to go from start to finish....

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote