Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ping: Cubs fans

Thank you dearly for Kyle Farnsworth.

He's becoming my new favorite baseball player.

Not only is he pitching amazing, but damnit, he's the best guy to have in a brawl.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:16 PM   #2
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Why would the Cubs keep any decent reliever? That goes against all of their beliefs! Oh yeah, they still have Wrigley.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Easy Mac

I thought it was a pretty nice take down. Seriously though, if you're in a bean-ball fest, you throw anywhere except at a guy's head.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I thought it was a pretty nice take down. Seriously though, if you're in a bean-ball fest, you throw anywhere except at a guy's head.

Indeed. Then he talks shit to Guillen, who bluffs a charge, and Hernandez turned and ducked.

He's lucky Farnsie didn't come after him.

I remember Farnsworth two or three years ago when I forget who it was charged and Farnsie speared them down and pummeled them.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:30 PM   #5
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I remember Farnsworth two or three years ago when I forget who it was charged and Farnsie speared them down and pummeled them.

Yeah, I was watching that game - it was a Cincinnati pitcher, can't remember exactly who it was.

Farnsworth has, and has always had, a ton of talent and incredible stuff. His problems are related to work ethic and intelligence. In the right situation, the guy will absolutely mow them down, but don't get surprised if he comes out the next season and serves up homerun after homerun with an ERA over 5. Relief pitchers are question marks; he's even more so.

That said, I'd definitely take him in a brawl.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:33 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Yeah, I was watching that game - it was a Cincinnati pitcher, can't remember exactly who it was.

Farnsworth has, and has always had, a ton of talent and incredible stuff. His problems are related to work ethic and intelligence. In the right situation, the guy will absolutely mow them down, but don't get surprised if he comes out the next season and serves up homerun after homerun with an ERA over 5. Relief pitchers are question marks; he's even more so.

Ha yeah. He has that every other year problem. Still, as long as he can fight, who needs pitching?!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #7
Easy Mac

DIdn't he beat up Paul Wilson
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, I think that's who it was. Picked him up and tackled him like a linebacker with perfect form. Funny stuff.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

haah yes. that's who it was. what pitcher charges the mound? come on. wilson had it coming. though it was a gutsy move by him.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

One of the best tackles ever .. Mike Liberthal on Adam Dunn. That was awesome.

The Reds suck in brawls.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:42 PM   #11
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:

You nailed it. I was sad to see him go as I liked him quite a bit. But as a Cubs fan you understand that as an organiozation we rarely can/ will keep our pitchers.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #12
hhiipp
College Prospect

As a Cubs fan I'm glad he's gone. Guy is a ticking time bomb.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp

And as a Cardinals fan I was sad to see him go. Guy is a ticking time bomb.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Funny, I watched Farnsworth Saturday night strike out the side for the save and was thinking that if Percival hadn't gotten injured and the Tigers weren't so close to .500, Farnsworth might be one of the most valuable relievers on the market right now. He's given up just 1 run in his last 25 innings. Maybe they'll still move him, but after Percival went down and having already traded Urbina, I doubt it. But if moved, Farsworth could be a difference-maker down the stretch. He might suck next year, but if he performs for a playoff team through October, that's a trade-off they'd probably be willing to make.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-18-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #15
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Why would the Cubs keep any decent reliever? That goes against all of their beliefs! Oh yeah, they still have Wrigley.

Reminds me of an article in the tribune this weekend... the columnist, Morrissey I think, was qouting another source that said some version of "If they turned all of the seats at wrigley to face out of the parking rather than towards the field they would still sell out every game". My experience in the bleachers on saturday proved the qoute quite accurate. One of the only times that I've been at a baseball park an no one complained if you stood in front of them talking to a person 4 seats down, 2 rows up or a section to your left. One big ole' party!!

Last edited by timmae : 07-18-2005 at 09:40 AM.
timmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #16
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Funny, I watched Farnsworth Saturday night strike out the side for the save and was thinking that if Percival hadn't gotten injured and the Tigers weren't so close to .500, Farnsworth might be one of the most valuable relievers on the market right now. He's given up just 1 run in his last 25 innings. Maybe they'll still move him, but after Percival went down and having already traded Urbina, I doubt it. But if moved, Farsworth could be a difference-maker down the stretch. He might suck next year, but if he performs for a playoff team through October, that's a trade-off they'd probably be willing to make.

I agree with this assessment. Despite the fact that he was very generous to my Cardinals he still scared the crap out of me with his potential.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not only is he pitching amazing, but damnit, he's the best guy to have in a brawl.

I was thinking this when I saw the replay of that brawl. He's like 2-0 now in fights and would probably beat your ass just for looking at him wrong.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I was thinking this when I saw the replay of that brawl. He's like 2-0 now in fights and would probably beat your ass just for looking at him wrong.

No, he's 2-1. The water cooler took him down.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #19
hhiipp
College Prospect

Anyone have a link to a video of his latest fight?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #20
hhiipp
College Prospect

Dola.

Nm found it on mlb.com.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
And as a Cardinals fan I was sad to see him go. Guy is a ticking time bomb.

Nicely played

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, but really, Jeremy was just standing there: he wasn't even goading anyone, and Farnsworth decides to just run at him and tackle him. No one's really sure why Farnsworth did that.

SI

Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #23
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:

The reason why he was expendable for the Cubs was two-fold.

1. He's inconsistent. He has one good year, and then he will have one really bad year. For someone who has lights out stuff, those kind of things will help make a team move you. Of course, when you factor in...

2. He can't handle the day games the Cubs play. Farnsworth is the thype of guy who will stay out till 2 or 4 in the morning, and with the majority of Cubs home games during the day, it didn't make for a great situation. The Cubs figured that he would grow up pretty fast when his grilfriend gave birth to a child a couple of years ago, but he didn't change, and therefore they had no choice but to try and get something for him. When he would rather be in a bar in Wrigleyville sharing drinks, than sleeping for a 1:20 game, thats a problem.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #24
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Yeah, but really, Jeremy was just standing there: he wasn't even goading anyone, and Farnsworth decides to just run at him and tackle him. No one's really sure why Farnsworth did that.

SI

I also was wondering what did Jeremy Affeldt do?

MLB should be testing Farnsworth because that was some Romo-rage.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:30 PM   #25
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

SI
As any die-hard cubs fan will tell you, Farnsie's decision making leaves something to be desired.
He's Nuke LaLoosh with out the intelect.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They were talking about this on the radio today. There was something off the record by Farnsworth saying Affeldt was jawing with him before the fight. But he also mentioned he might have mixed up who it was. D'oh.

Inside the lines, people are different but Jeremy's one of the nicest people you'll meet outside of the game so it seems somewhat unlikely it was him- he's one of those guys you can bank on being out there signing after the game and he'll chat people up and everything.

SI

Old 07-18-2005, 05:18 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Post game quote from Affeldt was he accidentally bumped Farnsworth on the way out and Farnsworth said "What, do you want to fight?"

Apparently thats what sparked it.