Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Coach Pays Kid to Hurt Retarded Kid

Quote:
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A T-ball coach allegedly paid one of his players $25 to hurt an 8-year-old mentally disabled teammate so he wouldn't have to put the boy in the game, police said Friday.

Mark R. Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, is accused of offering one of his players the money to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. Witnesses told police Downs didn't want the boy to play in the game because of his disability.

Police said the boy was hit in the head and in the groin with a baseball just before a game, and didn't play, police said.

"The coach was very competitive," state police Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater said. "He wanted to win."

Downs has an unpublished telephone number and couldn't immediately be reached for comment Friday. It was unclear whether he had an attorney.

He was arrested and arraigned Friday on charges including criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault and corruption of minors. He was released from jail on an unsecured bond.

The alleged assault happened June 27 in North Union Township, about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, authorities said.

The boy's mother asked state police to investigate her son's injuries because she suspected Downs wanted to keep the boy off the field, despite a league rule that required each player to participate in three innings a game, Broadwater said.

Eric Forsythe, the president of the R.W. Clark Youth Baseball League, said Downs had two daughters on the T-ball team.

League organizers investigated accusations against Downs before the T-ball season ended earlier this month but could not prove that he did anything wrong. If Downs is convicted of any crime, he won't be allowed to be a coach next year, Forsythe said. The league is not affiliated with Little League International.

Seriously- wtf ? You think hurting the kid is the best way to do this ?

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
kingfc22
Head Coach

That is one f'd up dude.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 07-15-2005 at 05:57 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

If this is true (innocent until proven guilty and all that), then it's sad and extremely disheartening to youth sports.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

"The coach was very competitive," state police Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater said. "He wanted to win."

Ya think?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

As someone whose coached youth soccer before (12 and 13 year old girls), I find this particularly repungant.

I always made sure even the worst players on my team got roughly a half's worth of play in if I could.

Did this hurt my record? Not really... It was essentially the same team that had gone 1-15 the year before... I took them over and we went 6-9-1, including an upset of the number one team in the league, whose only loss that year was to us.

Plus, I find when you play all your kids, some of them really develop and make progress.

My favourite example was a girl on the team named Leah. She was awkward in net, but I saw she had potential there, so I split both starts and time in goal between her and this other girl. By the end of the season, she not only solidified the starting spot permanently from Brittany, she'd turned into a damn good goalie and even had a couple shutouts. More importantly, she had elevated her self-confidence to a level she'd never had before. Her mom was amazed at the difference.

And I think that's what youth sports is really all about. It's not necessarily about turning the kids into superstars and all that kind of thing, though you do try and help them develop their skills. What's most important is the sense of self-confidence they can get from it and the fun they can have from playing the game... and of course winning a few games is always nice, too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
KWhit
Coordinator

People suck.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The best youth sports teams I was on played everyone at least some. It helps develop a team spirit, a key ingredient in a winning team.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
KWhit
Coordinator

He should get together with that drunk mom.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
As someone whose coached youth soccer before (12 and 13 year old girls) ...

Izulde's first game...

Izulde: All right, girls! I am looking for you to play good enough to inspire our fans... take their breath away and expand their creative horizons again... I want you to soar with each pass or slide tackle and know there's still beauty in the world and make it dazzle with each and every goal... and I want you to show us all that.

Girls: Yes! Yes that's exactly what we want to do, coach!

So then I grinned, leapt on my feet, walked over on the blanket and we all joined hands.. "What I want you all to do is lift us off our feet and show us how to fly again... to live again..."

Looking back on it now, there was a sparkle in their eyes... I think I saw that moment in their collective faces... then, just as we were about to take the field, I paused and waited too long... so they laughed, said I was a dork and they ran off to pick blackberries again together.

We had to forefeit the game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wow. speechless.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #11
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Sorry, but I don't buy this story. It sounds like one of those stories that starts out based on a tiny grain of truth, and then rumors start flying, and it just snowballs into something much bigger until the press finally gets hold of it. Like maybe the guy made a joke about the kid getting hurt, and then he really did happen to get hurt accidentally, and then everyone starts making assumptions from there.

I coach my kid's baseball team, and at the t-ball level in our league, they don't even keep score. So why would a coach be that opposed to playing the disabled kid to actually want to hurt him? Maybe he is just an evil person, but I'd like to think there is more to this story than this.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #12
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

In defense of this guy, the retarded kid must have been a really bad player. The other kids want to win too, and why should they have to suffer so that one kid doesn't get his feelings hurt. I mean, T-ball is an important part of society and this kid shouldn't have been on the team in the first place...

OK, in all seriousness this asshole should have his legs cut off at the knees then put on an adult softball team and forced to play center field. When he can't get to the pop-fly his teammates should beat him until he can't remember his own name.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #13
Tom E
H.S. Freshman Team

The coach should be shot...Seriously...BTW, the kid is a retard. Couldn't the coach have paid the tard the 25 bucks to hurt himself and cut out the middle man, err. I mean kid...

I'll Never Forget What's Her Name...

A Democrat is Somebody who Knows the Issues, a Republican is Somebody who Understands the Issues...
Tom E is offline   Reply With Quote