Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #51
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
difference is, it's easy to send Arlie sleep on the couch. You woouldn't have the heart to do that to your little one, would you? Would you? aaaah, that's what I thought, see, hormones here now, gone tomorrow

FM

Arlie's never slept on the couch. We have a guest room.

JR will be sent to his room for punishment. All the toys like the TV, computer and video game consoles will be in the family room. His room will be like Siberia.

Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #52
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
radii is still shocked and astounded by my talents on a weekly basis...

Dear lord, nice choice of words there. I'm just going to go ahead and and short circuit the rest of the board here...

pix plz thx.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #53
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Arlie's never slept on the couch. We have a guest room.
I will say that if the baby gets here and BB still isn't released, he will be sleeping on the couch. For a loooooooooooong time.

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 07-11-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #54
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
JR will be sent to his room for punishment. All the toys like the TV, computer and video game consoles will be in the family room. His room will be like Siberia.

And then, after you punish him and send him to his room for a day, you go up there and find a giant mural that your kid drew with the markers and paper that he is allowed to have in there, plus every single puzzle he owns completed and laid out on the floor, and you are happy he has such a good imagination but wonder if he's really been punished at all.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #55
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Again, hormones speaking. You'll forget everything the baby will have put you through the minute he comes out and you hold his little hand. Then you'll get mad one day and you'll want to put him through Siberia again, they call that baby blues. But then again, you will melt once the minute you hear him call you out in a soft voice: "mama"

You're welcome.

FM
Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #56
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
And then, after you punish him and send him to his room for a day, you go up there and find a giant mural that your kid drew with the markers and paper that he is allowed to have in there, plus every single puzzle he owns completed and laid out on the floor, and you are happy he has such a good imagination but wonder if he's really been punished at all.

True. But I'll take that risk.

Hopefully the little guy will read while in there. That's what I did when I was sent to my room. I read tons of books - I was punished a lot, was a bad kid. It got to the point where I could knock out a 600 page book in an afternoon and remember what I had read. Those reading skills helped me later in life.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #57
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Bah.. this is alot of nothing. (The news story).

There are alot of things that they have strict Midnight times on.. 2 of the most recent things I can think of are Halo 2 and Star Wars toys for episode I, II, III..

Plus, not a stretch to think delivery trucks normally have GPS units in them so you can track time on road, delivery speeds, etc...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #58
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Added security is just a publicity stunt. Inevitably some store will start selling it early, which the publisher will love because they'll go after them creating another big news story that adds to the hype of the release.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:57 PM   #59
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True. But I'll take that risk.

Hopefully the little guy will read while in there. That's what I did when I was sent to my room. I read tons of books - I was punished a lot, was a bad kid. It got to the point where I could knock out a 600 page book in an afternoon and remember what I had read. Those reading skills helped me later in life.

Tell you what, Farrah.

Tell me when the baby's born. I will put in say.. $100 a year.. for a fund for your baby.. to be spent at various times growing up for books.

Reading is what got me through some very tough times in my life, where I wanted to escape this world, and reading kept me from some other, more drastic things. I still do.

I still have shelf upon shelf upon shelf of books. I hate to lose them. I don't sell them to used book stores though.. I give them to Library drives and the like so some other kid will read them and be lost in flights of fantasy, of learning, of places that never existed except in a dream and the written word.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #60
21C
College Prospect

http://au.news.yahoo.com/050711/11/v1v9.html

New Potter book leaks in Canada, gag order issued
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Harry Potter's latest secret may have slipped out in Canada, and publishers of the best-selling books hope the magical allure of author J.K. Rowling's autograph will get it back under wraps. Rowling's sixth book about the young wizard is scheduled to be released on July 16, but a store near Vancouver briefly put the put the book on sale last week.

Raincoast Books Ltd., which distributes the books in Canada, said a "small number" of the books were sold, and it has won a court injunction barring the buyers of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" from disclosing the plot.

The court also ordered all the copies be returned to Raincoast, which has promised the early buyers book plates autographed by Rowling once the embargo is lifted.

Millions of copies of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" are expected to be distributed to stores around the world, and publishers have launched big security efforts to keep the wizard's adventures a secret until the official release date.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #61
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
After talking it over with Anthony last night, we have decided that he and I will be attending the local Barnes and Noble midnight sale - and he of course will be decked out in his HP Gryffindor Robe (leftover Halloween costume) and have his Gryffindor Sword with him Should be fun...tried to talk radii into going with us, but he wasn't interested. Party Pooper!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #62
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
After talking it over with Anthony last night, we have decided that he and I will be attending the local Barnes and Noble midnight sale - and he of course will be decked out in his HP Gryffindor Robe (leftover Halloween costume) and have his Gryffindor Sword with him Should be fun...tried to talk radii into going with us, but he wasn't interested. Party Pooper!

I knew it!!!! All this talk about grandparents and you are the one who will be up at midnight. Admit it, you like it

FM
Old 07-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #63
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Radii won't go?

That's a five point deduction from Hufflepuff.

(Just call me Snape)
Old 07-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #64
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I knew it!!!! All this talk about grandparents and you are the one who will be up at midnight. Admit it, you like it

FM

Oh, I am definitely the HP fan of the house...Anthony knows that he can watch the movies whenever he wants, but that they are MINE Same thing with the books - he can read them, but they are MINE! I'll share most things, but not Harry Potter!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #65
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Tell you what, Farrah.

Tell me when the baby's born. I will put in say.. $100 a year.. for a fund for your baby.. to be spent at various times growing up for books.

Reading is what got me through some very tough times in my life, where I wanted to escape this world, and reading kept me from some other, more drastic things. I still do.

I still have shelf upon shelf upon shelf of books. I hate to lose them. I don't sell them to used book stores though.. I give them to Library drives and the like so some other kid will read them and be lost in flights of fantasy, of learning, of places that never existed except in a dream and the written word.

You've got a deal .

Reading helped me through some really tough times too, (and still does). There was nothing better than escaping into a book when things got rough. I remember really getting into the Little House on The Prarie series when my parents got divorced. I read the entire series - seven books I think - between Christmas and New Years that year. I would day dream about being Laura Ingalls. If Harry Potter had been around when I was a kid, I would have been one of those annoying obsessed kids waiting for the new book at midnight.

In my dream home one day I will have an entire library of my own with floor to ceiling books and deep mahogany wood panneling...with a fireplace and a big comfy leather chair.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #66
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Radii won't go?

That's a five point deduction from Hufflepuff.

(Just call me Snape)

Ouch, poor Radii. He's just another leftover tucked away in Hufflepuff.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #67
Celeval
Pro Starter

So, how odd is it that in the middle of July, I'll show up on Friday night wearing the Gryffindor scarf my wife knitted for me?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #68
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Im gonna be at Borders that night to find new love.

Last edited by CHEMICAL SOLDIER : 07-12-2005 at 11:13 AM.
CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #69
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Ouch, poor Radii. He's just another leftover tucked away in Hufflepuff.

As long as Gryffindor (where Anthony and I are housed) wins the cup I am happy! When it comes to the house cup competition, it's every man for themselves!

Seriously - radii couldn't even list the 4 houses of Hogwarts or tell you the teachers names - he is hopeless!!!

Last edited by oliegirl : 07-12-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Dude, radii is such a Hufflepuff .

Though I think I'd be a Ravenclaw.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #71
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Fine. Go on and play Harry Butthole Pussy Potter!

Indeed. Best South Park evar.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #72
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Nah, my fiancee' preordered if for me for my birthday. The bad thing is that I though she ordered it through Amazon, which guarantees it to be delivered on the release date or your money back. Instead, she ordered it through Barnes & Noble, which doesn't have that guarantee. So now I'm gonna have to wait a week or so after the book comes out before I can read it...

Where did you see that Amazon guarantees it on release date? My g/f ordered through Amazon and it says she'll get it Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #73
JeeberD
General Manager

Man, I'm not sure where I saw it, wade. I think it may have been on MuggleNet.com, but it looks like it's off the front page now. Amazon is now saying that the book is availble for shipping on the 18th even though the book is being released the 16th, so that may have only been for early orders...

Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #74
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Man, I'm not sure where I saw it, wade. I think it may have been on MuggleNet.com, but it looks like it's off the front page now. Amazon is now saying that the book is availble for shipping on the 18th even though the book is being released the 16th, so that may have only been for early orders...

I'm pretty sure Amazon has already shipped all the books that will be arriving on the 16th.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #75
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Amazon had the promise that it'd be there on the 16th earlier on. It seems now it's going to be shipped on Monday. I guess they reached their limit for delivery on the 16th.

Hell, wade, tell your g/f to cancel the order and just go to any bookstore on the 16th. They should have piles of it. They ordered 10.8 million copies, so it shouldn't sell out.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #76
wade moore
lolzcat

That's frappin ridiculous...

She ordered it on January 9th... but the advantage to Amazon is it was 40% off...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 07-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #77
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well if you can find it cheaper on the day...
Old 07-14-2005, 06:10 AM   #78
wade moore
lolzcat

To be honest, it's not that big of a deal to her... I was just hoping to be able to scam Amazon and get a free book ...

Quote:
Old 07-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #79
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In an amusing/interesting/scary aside.. The Pope (When he was a Cardinal) spoke out about Harry Potter.

July 14,2005 | BERLIN -- In a letter sent two years before becoming pope, Benedict XVI expressed concern that the Harry Potter books "erode Christianity in the soul" of young people, a German writer says.

The comments came in an exchange of letters between then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and Gabriele Kuby, a Bavarian-based Roman Catholic sociologist who penned a book criticizing J.K. Rowling's blockbusters.

In a letter dated March 7, 2003, the text of which could be seen Thursday on Kuby's Web site, Ratzinger thanked her for sending him a copy of "your informative book."

"It is good that you are throwing light on Harry Potter, because these are subtle seductions that work imperceptibly, and because of that deeply, and erode Christianity in the soul before it can even grow properly," the letter added.

The Vatican had no comment, noting that the pontiff -- a Bavarian native -- and his secretary were away on vacation.

Kuby argues in her book, "Harry Potter -- Good or Evil," that the Potter novels blur the boundaries between good and evil and impair young readers' ability to distinguish between the two. She also asserts that they glorify the world of witches and magicians at the expense of the human world.

Christians in the United States have made similar criticisms.

Kuby said Thursday that she sent her book to Ratzinger -- then the Vatican's doctrinal watchdog -- after he commented favorably on an earlier book she wrote, "My Way to Mary."

In an e-mailed response to questions, she said she did not correspond with Ratzinger about Potter again after seeking his permission to cite his judgment later in 2003.

Ratzinger wrote on May 27 that year that "I gladly permit you to cite my opinion on Harry Potter," according to Kuby.

Rowling's sixth Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," is due out Saturday.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-14-2005 at 12:16 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #80
sabotai
General Manager

Dungeons and Dragons is a tool used by Satan to recruit children into witchcraft and devil worshipping.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #81
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Dungeons and Dragons is a tool used by Satan to recruit children into witchcraft and devil worshipping.

Thank you, Jack Chick.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:40 PM   #82
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Time for a good ole fashioned book burning.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #83
JeeberD
General Manager

WOOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-mail from BarnesAndNoble.com
Dear JeeberD,

Thank you for shopping with us.

Your order is now packed and ready to leave our warehouse. The details of
your order appear below. Within 24 hours of receiving this email, you may
track the delivery status of your order at...

Last edited by JeeberD : 07-14-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #84
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Yeah...my local Waldenbooks called me....40% off is coming from them, and I am picking it up at 12:01
Old 07-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #85
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
In an amusing/interesting/scary aside.. The Pope (When he was a Cardinal) spoke out about Harry Potter.

July 14,2005 | BERLIN -- In a letter sent two years before becoming pope, Benedict XVI expressed concern that the Harry Potter books "erode Christianity in the soul" of young people, a German writer says.

The comments came in an exchange of letters between then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and Gabriele Kuby, a Bavarian-based Roman Catholic sociologist who penned a book criticizing J.K. Rowling's blockbusters.

In a letter dated March 7, 2003, the text of which could be seen Thursday on Kuby's Web site, Ratzinger thanked her for sending him a copy of "your informative book."

"It is good that you are throwing light on Harry Potter, because these are subtle seductions that work imperceptibly, and because of that deeply, and erode Christianity in the soul before it can even grow properly," the letter added.

The Vatican had no comment, noting that the pontiff -- a Bavarian native -- and his secretary were away on vacation.

Kuby argues in her book, "Harry Potter -- Good or Evil," that the Potter novels blur the boundaries between good and evil and impair young readers' ability to distinguish between the two. She also asserts that they glorify the world of witches and magicians at the expense of the human world.

Christians in the United States have made similar criticisms.

Kuby said Thursday that she sent her book to Ratzinger -- then the Vatican's doctrinal watchdog -- after he commented favorably on an earlier book she wrote, "My Way to Mary."

In an e-mailed response to questions, she said she did not correspond with Ratzinger about Potter again after seeking his permission to cite his judgment later in 2003.

Ratzinger wrote on May 27 that year that "I gladly permit you to cite my opinion on Harry Potter," according to Kuby.

Rowling's sixth Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," is due out Saturday.
The Pope needs to go to a Star Wars premiere or a Star Trek Convention. Those people need waaaaaay more help.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #86
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Im gonna be at Borders that night to find new love.

*cough* Michael Jackson *cough*

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #87
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
*cough* Michael Jackson *cough*
I was talking about that 19 year old cutie that works as a cashier.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 AM   #88
JeeberD
General Manager

Did you dump the girl who wanted to move?

Old 07-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #89
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Ugh I just stood in line for an hour just to get a number so that I can go back at midnight to get the book
Old 07-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #90
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Bearcat729: Why? we went by walmart at 12:30 and they had at least 200 books still. You should just go to walmart after midnight and get one

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 PM   #91
Izulde
Head Coach

I did the midnight showing last year at Barnes and Noble. This year, I screwed up and prepurchased from Suncoast instead, so when I heard my best friend had the opportunity to go at midnight to get her copy, I harped on her until she agreed to go at midnight.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #92
Tigercat
College Starter

Thats my plan, a late night walmart trip. I need some kitchen stuff anyway, so it will give me an excuse to not look so desperate(for a few minutes anyway) to get it.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #93
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Bearcat729: Why? we went by walmart at 12:30 and they had at least 200 books still. You should just go to walmart after midnight and get one

I reserved a copy at Barnes and Noble a month or two ago. Since I was already going to have a copy there I figured I may as well go get it.

The line was pre-orders of which I am 140. There were 20-30 more people behind me and I'm sure more showed up after I left.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #94
21C
College Prospect

So is the book not out there yet? It's been out for about 4 hours in Australia. My daughter has a "Do Not Disturb" sign on her door for the rest of the day.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #95
Izulde
Head Coach

Fuck it.

I'm buying an extra copy at Wal-Mart. I'll give the one I got from Suncoast to my mom tomorrow.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #96
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Fuck it.

I'm buying an extra copy at Wal-Mart. I'll give the one I got from Suncoast to my mom tomorrow.
You can sell it on E bay for cheap.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:50 AM   #97
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Did you dump the girl who wanted to move?
Yes I did, but that's for another post and another time.