Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question Starting pitcher for NL All-Stars?

I'm admittedly biased, but I'd go with the Cards' Chris Carpenter. Dontrelle Willis is the only other one I'd consider, but I'm curious what others think.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

LaRussa is managing the team, so I'd have to think he rewards Carpenter here.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

It would have been Roger again if not for our crappy bullpen. It's hard to argue against a 1.50 ERA...

Of course after last year's showing, it's probably a blessing that he's not starting.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
It would have been Roger again if not for our crappy bullpen. It's hard to argue against a 1.50 ERA...

Of course after last year's showing, it's probably a blessing that he's not starting.
Yeah, the win/loss record and the fact that he got the nod last year, was bombed, and Piazza is the catcher have to rule him out, despite the wicked E.R.A.

And I think Carpenter merits the start, not just because LaRussa is the manager.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Yeah, the win/loss record and the fact that he got the nod last year, was bombed, and Piazza is the catcher have to rule him out, despite the wicked E.R.A.

And I think Carpenter merits the start, not just because LaRussa is the manager.

Damn why didn't the Jays keep Carpenter. I always thought he was a nice #2 or 3... imagine him with Halladay now.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pedro
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Pedro

I think he's pitching right before for the Mets. He never goes to these anyway.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Carpenter is having a great year!
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

Carpenter is having a great year but what is the case for Carpenter over Dontrelle? Best pitchers in the NL this year IMO so far are Dontrelle, clemens, Carpenter in that order. I can see the case for Carpenter over Clemens though... but not over Dontrelle.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #10
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Carpenter is 12-4 with a 2.60 ERA and 121 K
Willis is 12-3 with a 2.04 ERA and 85 K
Clemens is 6-3 with a 1.50 ERA and 104 K

The only reason I am thinking Carpenter is because he is on the best team in the NL and his manager is making the decision.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
Carpenter is having a great year but what is the case for Carpenter over Dontrelle? Best pitchers in the NL this year IMO so far are Dontrelle, clemens, Carpenter in that order. I can see the case for Carpenter over Clemens though... but not over Dontrelle.
Since it matters for home field in the Series, I think you go with the hottest pitcher among the deserving ones, and not taking anything away from Dontrelle - he has been awesome - here are the combined stats from Carpenter's last five starts (5-0):

41-2/3 innings
17 hits
2 earned runs
7 BBs
45 Ks

Has Dontrelle been that hot of late? (I honestly don't know).
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'd go with Clemens. He's a legend.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ditto, and I'd throw Pedro in there before Carpenter also. His ERA is freakishly high considering his BAA, WHIP, K/9, and K/BB ratio.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

Actually, Clemens or Pedro versus the AL managed by the Red Sox Manager would be fairly interesting.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #15
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I'd go with Clemens. He's a legend.
Yeah, he was a legend last year, too, and he got absolutely shelled by the A.L.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #16
korme
Go Reds

For the sake of putting on a good show for the fans, I suggest the NL squad starts Eric Milton.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, he was a legend last year, too, and he got absolutely shelled by the A.L.

If you want to use small sample sizes, go ahead and use Carpenter's last five games versus Clemens' start in the All Star game last season.

Throw Clemens, Willis, Carpenter, and Pedro in a hat and pull a name out randomly--you aren't going to know what they're going to do in three innings of an All Star game versus an All Star lineup.

As a fan and to make it more memorable, I'd rather see Clemens or Pedro (or even Dontrelle) pitch.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #18
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Uh...Pedro's a moot point. Wagner is now on the team.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Guy never goes. Amazingly his father is sick every single year at all star time.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #20
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This year it's that he is starting on Sunday. Probably had them arrange the rotation back in April to make sure he pitched that day.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
This year it's that he is starting on Sunday. Probably had them arrange the rotation back in April to make sure he pitched that day.

It was probably in the contract. Flies out Sunday night and isn't back until 10 minutes before their next game if at all until his next start.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #22
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

If I'm the Mets, I don't want Pedro pitching in a meaningless game anyway. I love the All Star Game, but there's too big of a risk with an investment like Pedro.

Not that I think Pedro is all that fragile anymore (in fact, preseason I argued with many a Sox fan that Schilling was a far bigger risk ... too bad I was right.)
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Since it matters for home field in the Series

Well, the first problem is that I refuse to acknowledge this absurdity.

Quote:
Carpenter's last five starts (5-0):

41-2/3 innings
17 hits
2 earned runs
7 BBs
45 Ks

He got shelled two starts ago in Atlanta(5 ER in 7 IP). In the other 4 starts, 1 ER, 2 shutouts, so no, not that hot lately, but he's been the best pitcher in the first half so he deserves it no matter what IMO.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #24
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
If you want to use small sample sizes, go ahead and use Carpenter's last five games versus Clemens' start in the All Star game last season.
You're missing my point. The All-Star game isn't about legendary players (and don't get me wrong, Clemens has had a first-ballot HOF career and an amazing first half). He was pitching great last season and got the start in the All-Star game as well. For whatever reason, he got lit up, and that contributed greatly to the A.L. winning the game and gaining home-field in the World Series.

So now you're saying "I'd go with Clemens. He's a legend." Which I take to mean that you feel he's earned the start for the N.L. over the other two because he's legendary. To which I say, honor be damned, go with Carpenter (or Willis) because I think they are better options in terms of winning the game. No pitcher is pitching any better than Carpenter right now, in my opinion, and his stats match up with anyone.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #25
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Well, the first problem is that I refuse to acknowledge this absurdity.
Well, I guarantee you that Tony LaRussa acknowledges it.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #26
KWhit
Coordinator

It should be Willis, but probably won't be.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #27
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
You're missing my point. The All-Star game isn't about legendary players (and don't get me wrong, Clemens has had a first-ballot HOF career and an amazing first half). He was pitching great last season and got the start in the All-Star game as well. For whatever reason, he got lit up, and that contributed greatly to the A.L. winning the game and gaining home-field in the World Series.

So now you're saying "I'd go with Clemens. He's a legend." Which I take to mean that you feel he's earned the start for the N.L. over the other two because he's legendary. To which I say, honor be damned, go with Carpenter (or Willis) because I think they are better options in terms of winning the game. No pitcher is pitching any better than Carpenter right now, in my opinion, and his stats match up with anyone.

I just don't see it. Unless the only measurement for being better is wins, I don't see how Carpenter is having a better season than Clemens.

Clemens plays half of his games in a hitter's park and has an ERA of 1.41 in 17 starts (Carpenter's is 2.51 in 18 starts). Clemens has given up only 74 hits and 33 BBs in 115 innings (Carpenter: 106 hits and 33 BBs in 129 innings). Clemens has given up 5 HRs (Carpenter: 9 HRs). In my opinion, you can argue that Clemens is slightly better, but I cannot see how you can argue that Carpenter is better other than his team has a much better offense.

Factor in last season (if you want a larger sample size) and Clemens gains a greater advantage.

As for being competitive, I would argue that Clemens's experience and familiarity with the All Star hoopla will likely allow him to be less star struck from being an All Star than it might for someone like Willis or Carpenter (although this isn't something we can measure).
Old 07-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Damn why didn't the Jays keep Carpenter. I always thought he was a nice #2 or 3... imagine him with Halladay now.

The Blue Jays don't have Duncan as a pitching coach.

FWIW, and I am a HUGE homer. I would go with Clemens, Willis, then Carpenter. I like ERA over wins.. plus you really can't go wrong with any of these 3. Any of them could start, and I would be fine with it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #29
Vince
Pro Starter

Personally, I think a pitcher's W/L record is completely and utterly pointless.

Because of that, I think Clemens is the easiest choice, hands down. He's got a great number of strikeouts and has an absurdly low ERA (especially considering the field he pitches at half the time). I can see Carpenter over Willis, but not Clemens.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #30
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
For the sake of putting on a good show for the fans, I suggest the NL squad starts Eric Milton.

He should be the HR Derby pitcher, I think that would make up for the big dimensions of Comerica.