Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Nate McMillan going to Trailblazers

I havn't seen this posted anywhere else. Last night McMillan announced that he was going to leave the only NBA team that he has ever been part of (the Sonics) to coach Portland. I have to say that I was surprised to see him go, but apparently he will now be the second highest payed coach in the NBA, and it is hard to fault him for following that much money.

stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
I havn't seen this posted anywhere else. Last night McMillan announced that he was going to leave the only NBA team that he has ever been part of (the Sonics) to coach Portland. I have to say that I was surprised to see him go, but apparently he will now be the second highest payed coach in the NBA, and it is hard to fault him for following that much money.

I don't blame Nate at all. The Sonics left him dangling at the start of the season, and when he exceeded the wildest expectations he all of a sudden had the kind of leverage he's never before had in his career and took advantage.

To add insult to injury, he's headed to our biggest rival. And the kicker is that the most logical replacement candidate already took a job with Minnesota.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

Man. Nate why?!?!?!?!?!?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Man. Nate why?!?!?!?!?!?

Lots of factors Shorty. Nate has never before in his career been in a position of leverage like this. I don't think he was ever a free agent as a player, and if he was, he certainly wasn't a hot commodity like he was as a coach this offseason. While he's spent his whole career in Seattle, sometimes familiarity breeds contempt and the desire to experience something new gains hold. Certainly the Sonics decision to let him dangle without and extension this season was a cold, hard slap in his face that this is a business, and he treated it as such.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Great... with this story, Redd re-signing, and some Larry Brown fluff piece I can now safely fast forward through 10 minutes of my tivoed PTI. And if there is no Tony K. like he hinted last night I will save even more time.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

does Seattle now hire the ex-coach of Minnesota that was fire this season?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Flip Saunders? He'll get some consideration probably, but he won't be the only one. What boggles my mind is the Sonics said they only started compiling a list of potential replacements last night, after they found out Nate was leaving. Haven't these morons heard of contingency planning?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Flip Saunders? He'll get some consideration probably, but he won't be the only one. What boggles my mind is the Sonics said they only started compiling a list of potential replacements last night, after they found out Nate was leaving. Haven't these morons heard of contingency planning?

My guess is that they either did not really believe that Nate would leave, or that they didn't want Nate to hear about them talking to other people, so that he wouldn't be offended.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
mhass
High School Varsity

But does anyone know where Phil Jackson is heading?

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
My guess is that they either did not really believe that Nate would leave, or that they didn't want Nate to hear about them talking to other people, so that he wouldn't be offended.

I think you can compile a list as a precaution without wind of it getting back to Nate. You don't need to make phone calls and background checks until you hear Nate's decision, but there's no reason not to starting thinking about a backup plan ahead of time. And if they were worried about offending him, I think they were far too late on that account...