Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #201
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
They are not going to happen this year. This year, in a special one-time provision in the new CBA, teams get to waive one player. They have to pay him, but get back the cap and luxury tax. Rose is almost certainly going to be one of those players.

i think they get the luxury tax back only not the cap.

the salary cap will still exist for the team if they waive him.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:09 PM   #202
rkmsuf
Head Coach

correct, there is no cap relief.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:19 PM   #203
Samdari
Roster Filler

Still, I don't believe that rumor. I don't think LA would do it. Why take on Rose's cap number, inherit his attitude-of-locker-room-death, along with his spiritual descendent, the "top 5 worst draft pick in the history of team sports," Charlie Villianueva, for one of the few centers with any promise in the draft. Seriously, where is there any benefit in that deal for the Lakers - especially since Rose is expected to be waived, and can be had much cheaper as a free agent? You are going to pay Rose $10 million more than you have to, and give up a player most teams value more than Villanueva, in order to get Villanueva? I just don't see it.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #204
rkmsuf
Head Coach

maybe the Lakers heard all the analysis that their big guy was a bad pick and hit eject
Old 06-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #205
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Still, I don't believe that rumor. I don't think LA would do it. Why take on Rose's cap number, inherit his attitude-of-locker-room-death, along with his spiritual descendent, the "top 5 worst draft pick in the history of team sports," Charlie Villianueva, for one of the few centers with any promise in the draft. Seriously, where is there any benefit in that deal for the Lakers - especially since Rose is expected to be waived, and can be had much cheaper as a free agent? You are going to pay Rose $10 million more than you have to, and give up a player most teams value more than Villanueva, in order to get Villanueva? I just don't see it.

Doesn't seem all that bad to me. That kid they drafted still has babyfat, he looks so young.

Anyways, assuming they make this trade they have a good core of players-

pg Rose
sg Kobe
sf Odom
pf Villanueva
c ?

Or put Odom at PF and start Butler at SF with Villanueva coming off the bench. But Rose is a much needed upgrade at point.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #206
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
maybe the Lakers heard all the analysis that their big guy was a bad pick and hit eject

I think it was more of "this pick does not make sense for this team" than "it was a bad pick"

Villanueva, now HE got "this was a terrible pick"
Old 06-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #207
st.cronin
General Manager

Villanueva almost makes sense for the Lakers. I think May would have been a nicer pick, but what the hell do I know.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:38 PM   #208
rkmsuf
Head Coach

True. They meaning the "experts" were just saying the Laker selection is a project and not much help in the immediate future for a team that seems to be looking for a now solution.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #209
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Doesn't seem all that bad to me. That kid they drafted still has babyfat, he looks so young.

pg Rose
sg Kobe
sf Odom
pf Villanueva
c ?

Or put Odom at PF and start Butler at SF with Villanueva coming off the bench. But Rose is a much needed upgrade at point.

i think phil jackson wants Divac to play center.. he will be great with his passes in the triangle. and Brian Grant as backup.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #210
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

pg Rose
sg Kobe
sf Odom
pf Villanueva
c ?

No, no, no, no, Rose is not an upgrade at anything. You probably have not seen him play in years because of being exiled to Toronto, but he is terrible. And Villanueva will never contribute anything to the NBA. The above would win less games than last year's team.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:18 PM   #211
bbor
Pro Starter

Rose is a PG?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #212
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Rose is a PG?

He is primarily a 2 or 3, but I think it was the year the Pacers went to the Finals that Rose played primarily PG and did very well. He's like Pippen in a way. He can play PG if necessary. All things considered on LA, I'd say it's more necessary for him to play there (over Atkins) then take time away from Bryant-Butler-Odom-Villanueva.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #213
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Rose is a PG?

That's the thing with Rose that I never understood. I always thought he was a SF that could handle the ball if he had (I believe Pippen was the same way?), but in no way was he an actual PG. However, when the Raptors first got him, that's what he did...

edit: wow, Shorty read my mind.

Last edited by MikeVic : 06-29-2005 at 03:22 PM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #214
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Rose being a pg or sg wont really matter in the triangle..

there no true pg in that system.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:30 PM   #215
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rose being pound for pound the shittiest player in the league will matter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:41 PM   #216
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
the year the Pacers went to the Finals that Rose played primarily PG and did very well

Umm, no. Mark Jackson was the Pacers PG that year. It is no coincidence that the team went furthest after abandoning the "Rose is a PG" myth.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #217
korme
Go Reds

Well, still, he can play PG (the original argument).

How has Rose degressed into the worst player as people say?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #218
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Well, still, he can play PG (the original argument).

How has Rose degressed into the worst player as people say?

Stopped caring and got old at the same time.

As for "he can play PG" well, that in the past has meant your team was not very good. He has never been successful as a full time PG. He has (had?) great passing skills for a forward, leading many to envision him as a PG. It never worked.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #219
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Jalen Rose was making a reasonable salary, maybe I wouldnt feel so strongly about how awful he is. But the fact that he makes 15 million for the next 2 or 3 years is just sickening. How anyone could be so irresponsible to pay him that much and then on top of that, 2 teams have traded for him.

Word on the street is that the Mavs will dump Finley in order to save 51 million in luxury tax over the next 3 years. Probably not a horrible idea.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #220
korme
Go Reds

Finley is one of my favorite players.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #221
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Finley is one of my favorite players.

rumour Phoenix might be interest in signing him to the veteran max if he is release from the mavs.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #222
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

What's with drafting these kids from European clubs?
How many of them actually get to play in the NBA? I remember in the 02 draft a few of them went, but how many are playing in the league now?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #223
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
What's with drafting these kids from European clubs?
How many of them actually get to play in the NBA? I remember in the 02 draft a few of them went, but how many are playing in the league now?

I guess the logic is that it's better than sticking them in the NBDL. Long term, the NBA probably wants the NBDL to turn into their own farm system where those guys can play and not be overseas, though they're making good money over there.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #224
bbor
Pro Starter

Hilarious radio in Toronto today.Badcock and Sam Mitchell making out like they pulled the wool over the whole NBA fraternities eyes.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM   #225
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I guess the logic is that it's better than sticking them in the NBDL. Long term, the NBA probably wants the NBDL to turn into their own farm system where those guys can play and not be overseas, though they're making good money over there.

Based on what was discussed during the draft coverage, the top European league would be the equivalent of Triple A baseball. The NBDL is not even close to that right now. Why not leave them in Europe, allow them to continue to develop in familiar surroundings, and then bring them over when they are NBA ready? I would have to believe Darko would have been better off with two years of play then. Kinda like what the Spurs are going to do with the first pick this year
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:24 PM   #226
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I saw Williams play quite a bit, and he's definitely NOT the reason Illinois was so good

I saw him more, and yes he was. Certainly not the only reason, but a very big one.

He was the best passer on the best passing team I've ever seen. He's strong, deceptively quick, sees the floor well, and is totally unselfish.

Most importantly, he's a lock-down defender. He held Salim Stoudamire to 2-13 and Francisco Garcia to 2-10 shooting in the Elite 8 and Final 4.
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 PM   #227
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Rose is a PG?
That's the problem with him... if he had been content to just be a good "point-foward" he would have been a perenial all-star as he was really good at that role. But no... he had to complain every season as a Pacer about wanting to play PG. Everytime they tried him there it didn't work until eventually they pretty much had to trade him.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:13 AM   #228
Alf
Pro Starter

Anybody care to comment on the 4 french drafted players ?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #229
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
Anybody care to comment on the 4 french drafted players ?

I doubt most of us know anything more than the thumbnail sketches we got from ESPN. Sounds like the 2nd rounder the Sonics drafted will likely stay in Europe to play rather than come over here to the developmental league, but he's looked at as a possible future contributer to the Sonics. Their 1st rounder (Petro) is considered a real project, even moreso than the high schooler they drafted last year (Robert Swift), but they like his potential down the road.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 AM   #230
Alf
Pro Starter

Petro is the one I know best since he played for Pau-Orthez (my favorite club). He has all the athletics tools, but he always seems to be in foul trouble.

Thuriaff did som good things in Gonzaga, but he doesn't get mentionned in the PF rotation for the Lakers (or has he been traded already ?)
Old 07-05-2005, 04:44 AM   #231
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'm gonna have to pick me up a garcia kings jersey
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:52 AM   #232
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
Petro is the one I know best since he played for Pau-Orthez (my favorite club). He has all the athletics tools, but he always seems to be in foul trouble.

Thuriaff did som good things in Gonzaga, but he doesn't get mentionned in the PF rotation for the Lakers (or has he been traded already ?)

Turiaf will be the best player drafted by the Lakers during the upcoming season.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:56 AM   #233
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Turiaf will be the best player drafted by the Lakers during the upcoming season.

thats not too much of a statement considering the other players they took

Personally, i'm rooting for bynum just because so many people seem to be down on him.. but i don't hold out much hope..

I'm still pissed off about the age limit thing.. While i think its a good thing.. what the league didn't want you to know is they lowered the age limit of the nbdl to 18.. jee thanks!
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:20 AM   #234
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
thats not too much of a statement considering the other players they took

Personally, i'm rooting for bynum just because so many people seem to be down on him.. but i don't hold out much hope..

I'm still pissed off about the age limit thing.. While i think its a good thing.. what the league didn't want you to know is they lowered the age limit of the nbdl to 18.. jee thanks!

I am actually more curious to see how college programs deal with the age limit. In the past, the majority of the coaches were less likely to recruit a guy who they thought was only going to be there for a year and then head to the NBA. Carmelo Anthony being a notable exception. I wonder how many coaches are going to be more willing to change this approach. As far as Bynum goes, I disagree with the pick not because I want to him fail or a dislike for the Lakers. I just thought the Lakers should have pick a player who was ready to help them now as opposed to someone who might help them down the road.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:21 AM   #235
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i think the Toronto pick was for the Lakers.

there pick and Jalen rose to the lakers for the #10 pick they drafted.

that the rumour in Laker land on the radio.

Makes no sense and the Lakers have been rumored to make about 15 trades since the Shaq deal and not one has happened.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #236
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
I am actually more curious to see how college programs deal with the age limit. In the past, the majority of the coaches were less likely to recruit a guy who they thought was only going to be there for a year and then head to the NBA. Carmelo Anthony being a notable exception. I wonder how many coaches are going to be more willing to change this approach. As far as Bynum goes, I disagree with the pick not because I want to him fail or a dislike for the Lakers. I just thought the Lakers should have pick a player who was ready to help them now as opposed to someone who might help them down the road.

There were really only 1-2 players available at the 10th pick that can help them and none of them played a position of need and none of them played C/PF or PG. May might be an exception but I dont really think he'd be a better option having Odom play at PF.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote