Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Skip Bayless trashes Lakers #1 pick

Ok, I'm with you all. This guy is a tool. He basically trashes a 17-year old kid, which is fine. Everyone seems to think Bynum is the next coming of Kwame Brown..

I don't seem to think so, but that's not a big deal. The kid will probably not be all that great.

Anyway, he posts the kid's "myspace.com" profile in his article and uses that as his evidence of why the kid isn't fit for the NBA. What an asshole.

Story

Oh well..

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-01-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
heybrad
Norm!!!

I dont know much about Bynum so I cant really say if he'll be any good or not, by I can safely say that the pick made no sense for the Lakers. Why would you hire Phil Jackson and follow that by drafting a kid that, at best, might help the team in 3-4 years.

That said... why an asshole like Skip Bayless needs to attack the kid personally is beyond me.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
I dont know much about Bynum so I cant really say if he'll be any good or not, by I can safely say that the pick made no sense for the Lakers. Why would you hire Phil Jackson and follow that by drafting a kid that, at best, might help the team in 3-4 years.

That said... why an asshole like Skip Bayless needs to attack the kid personally is beyond me.

Exactly. This pick made no sense with Phil there. However, I agree with your assessment of Skip.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Hope the kid turns out well. but I have a feeling he may not.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
bronconick
College Starter

I've come to the conclusion that even Bayless realizes he's a no-talent hack, and has long since decided that to continue being relevent, he has to try to piss everyone off with every article. I refuse to give him that satisfaction. I just view his writing like I'd view a 5 year old throwing a tantrum. A bunch of screaming noise that someone really should take into hand and make stop, but I'll ignore it until it does.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh, just as an FYI, Bynum went to the same high school as former Duke player and former Bulls point guard Jason Williams. Not completely relavant, but an interesting aside.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-01-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Hope the kid turns out well. but I have a feeling he may not.

I think that unlike say, the Wizards where Kwame Brown was dogged on by Michael Jordan before the kid could do much, Bynum will have a former high school pick in Kobe - who is dying to prove he's a good teammate - and I'm not convinced that Phil will last the entire length of his 3 year contract.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #8
Danny
Head Coach

I don't know if Bynum will be any good, but I've been keeping up with what he's been saying and he seems like a real good kid. Whether he turns into a great player, who knows.

That said, I don't quite understand the media bashing the Lakers for taking a high school player. These are the same guys who said the Lakers wouldn't contend for a championship soon with Phil or not. Now they bash them for making that realization themselves? The lakers arent winning a championship soon, they know it, everyone knows it.

Why hire Phil then? So they can still content for the playoffs and put some butts in the seats and potentially compete for a championship in his 3rd/4th/5th seasons if he decides to stay.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:00 AM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure I understand your guys reasoning here. He has chosen to play in the NBA and make millions of dollars but he can't be critized because he is young? Would you laugh if he showed Kobe's web page or Steve Nash's? If the guy is willing to except millions from the Laker's then he is allowed to be trashed like any other player. You are acting like Bayless bashed a 5-year old kid.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:21 AM   #10
Fouts
College Starter

Bayless likes to talk loud and hope people listen. I hardly ever hear him saying anything good about somebody. I don't understand bashing the kid for a website. A lot of high schoolers do the same thing. Yes, he is 17 and still immature, wtg Skip.

I thought they signed Phil to attract free agents. If not, then I'm not sure why he's there.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Not sure I understand your guys reasoning here. He has chosen to play in the NBA and make millions of dollars but he can't be critized because he is young? Would you laugh if he showed Kobe's web page or Steve Nash's? If the guy is willing to except millions from the Laker's then he is allowed to be trashed like any other player. You are acting like Bayless bashed a 5-year old kid.

What I'm saying is...posting the kid's myspace.com profile (which he presumably made before he was drafted by the Lakers with the 10th pick) and saying "see, he's not ready for the NBA" is childist at best. I mean, criticize his jump shot. Make fun of him for dating teenage girls (oh wait, he is one), talk about all the "bling" in his mouth or the "ice" he wears on his arm.

But to mock a kid because he (surprisingly) gets picked by a team that is 3 years removed from an NBA title and one of the proudest franchises in the sport, when he does what kids these days do - post on their web sites - seems stupid to me. He's obviously excited about being on the Lakers.

With the new collective bargaining agreement, they can send him to the NBDL, so its not even like he'll have to play for the Lakers at all during the length of his two-year guaranteed contract, unlike say - Darko - who rode the pine for most of his Detroit tenure.

I think the kid deserves a shot before we immediately dismiss him as a bust. But then, Kwame got a free pass at first and was a bust. So maybe it'll be good for him to go into this situation and get lampooned from Day 1, so he'll know what he's up against. After all, no one expects him to do particularly well.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-02-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:29 AM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

ooh..nice work

The myspace.com profile for the kid has already been deleted, as I was going to link it just now and found that it was gone.

I'm sure myspace.com didn't do it, because they love the traffic it would brought them. It was surely Bynum and his folks who probably had it canned.

Still, smart move I think.

The article hasn't even been up a day yet, so way to be on top of things by whoever is running his ship. It wasn't that big a deal, but I can see where that sort of thing opens him to up to scrutiny.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-02-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:36 AM   #13
MrBug708
Head Coach

The logic is that the players most ready to help the Lakers either played Kobe's position or taken by the time the Lakers picked. So what do you do? The team isn't even playoff ready right now, but then again Rudy T is an average coach and Frank Hamblen is subpar. I actually think Phil will last longer then the 3 year deal as HC. The Lakers goal, as an organization as a whole, is to win championships. They aren't meant to play decent like Golden State, be a regular season wonder like Pheonix, or a primadonna melt down like in Portland or Sac-Town. So they draft someone like Granger who can score some points but plays the same position as Bulter and in essence, Odom. No need there. Basically the Lakers needed to draft on potential and future. If he turns into Kwame Brown, so be it. He's gone after three years. But the kid has soft hands and a good work ethic with solid fundementals. Hopefully it can be parlayed into a decent future. It's a gamble, but if Bynum turns out to be a star, it was a hell of a pick.

Only time can tell.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Make fun of him for dating teenage girls (oh wait, he is one)

He's a teenage girl?! Somebody notify the WNBA! The NBA's stealing their players!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:24 AM   #15
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

I have no idea about Bynum, never seen him play or even read that much about him. But Bayless is a complete moron. I've never seen him on any shows, or read any articles save one, yet based on his pre-draft article I feel I'm on pretty solid ground:

I'm not sure about Bogut. He averaged a not-bad 14.8 points and 8.8 rebounds for Australia's Olympic team. But he could not carry his Utah team to the Final Four, which should be cause for alarm in Milwaukee (the Bucks have the No. 1 pick).

Bogut's Utes lost a Sweet 16 game by 10 to Kentucky, which didn't exactly have a front line of Walton, Olajuwon and Ewing. Bogut had 20 points and 11 rebounds. But, come on – if he were a future perennial NBA All-Star, he would have dominated Kentucky, then Michigan State, then made eventual champion North Carolina sweat in the Final Four.

Now, I'm by no means sold on Bogut, but this commentary is simply idiotic. The statistics that he notes of Bogut's Olympic career are, undeniably, much better than the foreign players he praises in the same article. And the fact that he didn't make a final four shoudl be cause for alarm? If he were a perennial all-star he would have dominated his way in to the final four? Yeh, I guess he shoudl have, just like Shaq dominated his way into the final four every year.

In the same article, Bayless also disses Chris Paul, Marvin Williams, and Deron Williams, based on absolutely nothing but his bullshit perceptions of big game or big moment failures. Meanwhile he says that Gerald Greene is the best player in the draft, which he bases entirely on watching him play in the fucking McDonald's All-America Game. He also states: "Luis Scola almost certainly will be a better NBA player than anyone who will be drafted Tuesday night." Luis Scola, BTW, was the Spurs Euro-pick three years ago. What do you think would be a reasonable over-under on minutes Skip Bayless has seen Scola play?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:47 AM   #16
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

You guys trashing him for mentioning the profile page ... I don't think you read the thing.

It was very sad, immature, and showed a lack of basic intelligence.

Not what I'd call a good sign for someone who's about to inherit this much pressure.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:15 AM   #17
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
You guys trashing him for mentioning the profile page ... I don't think you read the thing.

Not what I'd call a good sign for someone who's about to inherit this much pressure.

An immature 17 year-old? NO WAY!!!!
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:16 AM   #18
rexallllsc
Banned

I wonder what Bayless was doing at 17? Probably jerking off to the thought of the prom queen like many others at that age.

Bayless has solidified his hack reputation.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:59 AM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacersfan46

Basic intelligence? For what, using teen internet slang? It's just a sign of the times. No different than anything else most teens are doing at 17.

That's what I think it boiled down to, a generational gap in understanding why he was on myspace.com in the first place.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:31 AM   #20
Danny
Head Coach

Did you also know that Bynum's favorite school subject is Physics and he scored what was for someone entering the NBA draft, a good SAT score?
Old 07-02-2005, 05:22 AM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.nba.com/draft2005/profiles/AndrewBynum.html

Yeah, 3.6 and a 1050 on the SAT (presumably before they changed the scale to 2400) Not exactly chopped liver for a college athlete, but no Okafor (who got his degree in Finance in 3 years, no less)

He didn't go to a basketball factory for HS, even though Jay Williams went there...
Old 07-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #22
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
http://www.nba.com/draft2005/profiles/AndrewBynum.html

Yeah, 3.6 and a 1050 on the SAT (presumably before they changed the scale to 2400) Not exactly chopped liver for a college athlete, but no Okafor (who got his degree in Finance in 3 years, no less)

He didn't go to a basketball factory for HS, even though Jay Williams went there...

Nobody is Okafor. That guy was a college coach's dream (for 3 years). Bynum only this year become a bigtime propect on the highschool scene. He would have attended Uconn had he gone to college and might not have started because of experience the Huskies have upfront (Boone, Armstrong, Gay). I am sure that was a factor is his choice also. Is he the 2nd coming of Shaq, I would bet against it but getting ripped from Skip who knows nothing about you is something I would rather not see.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

I've talked with people who are big in the Jersey high school basketball scene, and they all seem to think that Bynum wouldn't have made it at UConn, let alone the NBA. They say he lacks the effort, and his skill set seems to only include being bigger than others, and nothing else. Through the Rutgers' board on Rivals.com, one highly respected guy who is very close with a bunch of the seniors in Jersey (and in my opinion, this might be why he is so anti-Bynum) actually went as far as to make a post congratulating Andrew for "getting his money by using the NBA's draft process just like the NBA uses athletes." He seems to think he is destined for failure, and while I respect his eye for talent, like I said before I think his negativity might have something to do with him being tight with many school kids who may have been overshadowed by Bynum. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Overall I don't have a problem with the Lakers pick. They took a shot in the one and only year when they probably will have such a high pick. In the future, surely they will get better to a degree, and won't find themselves picking in the top 10, so why not use this time to gamble. They're never going to have an opportunity to take a (potentially) talented big man once they go back to picking in the 20s, so they might as well take a chance.

Last edited by Logan : 07-02-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:48 AM   #24
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well said Logan. There aren't any Shaq's out there but if you can get a 7 footer whose close to 300 pounds with potential, it's a risk that is worth taking a shot if you're the Lakers. He only has to beat out Chris Mihm
Old 07-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

Though I will disagree on one point. I'd say he'd have some degree of success at Uconn regardless. Being ranked the top center of this past class is nothing to shun against, even if scouting services can miss their mark
Old 07-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Though I will disagree on one point. I'd say he'd have some degree of success at Uconn regardless. Being ranked the top center of this past class is nothing to shun against, even if scouting services can miss their mark

I would say that any success he would have at UConn would be a direct product of being coached by Calhoun, so yeah I'll agree with you there. That and the fact that, like you said, he's a 7 foot, 300 pound guy.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well sucess as opposed to going to Duke, yes. But I think he would have had a worthy college career regardless
Old 07-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

SKip Bayless is the Vanilla Ice of trash-talking, take-an-outrageous-position-to-get-noticed, "web journalists." Someone needs to smack him upside the head and give him this message:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #29
samifan24
Pro Starter

Bayless is a talentless hack.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #30
Danny
Head Coach

Coach Calhoun was quoted as saying Bynum had a decent chance at starting as a Freshman
Old 07-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #31
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Bynum is the real deal.

I think Bynum will be better than Shaq when he finish his career in the NBA.

Even Jerry West told Kupchak that he would of pick him too.

And we all know Jerry West has the best eye for players.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #32
Danny
Head Coach

Um JB, lets not got carried away. Bynum will not be the next Shaq. He could just as easily have a terrible career as a good one.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:43 AM   #33
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Bynum is the real deal.

No No No No

Dont say that. It's WAY to early to even talk like that
Old 07-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #34
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Bynum is the real deal.

Being the real deal and being Shaq are totally different. Centers shouldn't be compared to the most dominate basketball force on the planet (when health). I to think taking a risk on a guy like that isn't that bad, but if you are the Lakers there were a couple of guys of the board that could help the next to years (Granger, May, Graham).
Old 07-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #35
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
Um JB, lets not got carried away. Bynum will not be the next Shaq. He could just as easily have a terrible career as a good one.

could be true.

but when jerry west is all excited about Bynum. it gives me hope he will be a good player.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #36
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Being the real deal and being Shaq are totally different. Centers shouldn't be compared to the most dominate basketball force on the planet (when health). I to think taking a risk on a guy like that isn't that bad, but if you are the Lakers there were a couple of guys of the board that could help the next to years (Granger, May, Graham).

yep, but you got to remember Phil Jackson doesnt like to play rookies. so those players would probably not get many minutes

so it was better they go after a center with great potential and wait a couple of years before he plays regularly.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:53 AM   #37
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
could be true.

but when jerry west is all excited about Bynum. it gives me hope he will be a good player.

Jerry West was able to build Memphis into a playoff contender, but they havent done much since...
Old 07-02-2005, 11:53 AM   #38
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Jerry West was apparently all excited when he signed Brian Cardinal to a ridiculous contract in Memphis, too. I'm not saying that Jerry West is losing his touch, but Jerry West might be losing his touch.

Old 07-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #39
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Jerry West was apparently all excited when he signed Brian Cardinal to a ridiculous contract in Memphis, too. I'm not saying that Jerry West is losing his touch, but Jerry West might be losing his touch.

One of the stranger things I have seen any respected GM do. Every GM makes some good moves, but you couldn't find any one sane person that thought that was a good move.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yep, that move cost Jerry West his "wisest man in basketball" title IMHO. I still think it is a peculiar move because I don't think Phil is there for more than 3 years, but I do think selecting Bynum was a worthy risk for the future. However, I think jbmagic is going WAY overboard with any thoughts that he would be better than Shaq. Shaq was the most dominant player in at least a generation (and arguably more.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #41
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Yep, that move cost Jerry West his "wisest man in basketball" title IMHO. I still think it is a peculiar move because I don't think Phil is there for more than 3 years, but I do think selecting Bynum was a worthy risk for the future. However, I think jbmagic is going WAY overboard with any thoughts that he would be better than Shaq. Shaq was the most dominant player in at least a generation (and arguably more.)

i guess my heart is hoping. i am a big time LA Lakers Fan.

Big time Magic Johnson Fan

hint for my Nick (jbmagic)
Old 07-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #42
TroyF
Coordinator

Jerry West has also drafted pretty average with the Grizzlies.

2002 - Drew Gooden, who he then shipped a year later for Mike Miller, who has been OK, but not dominating by any stretch. He bypassed Carlos Boozer twice, the second time to pick Archibald from Illinois.

2003 - He had two first round picks. In a trade with the Celtics, the Grizz ended up with Troy Bell and Dhanty Jones. West passed on Luke Rindinhour and Josh Howard to make that deal.

2004 - traded his pick to Portland in the Bonzi Wells deal. The Grizz now seem to want Bonzi out.

2005 - He gets Warrick, which I think is a great pick. But it was also close to a no brainer pick for them. It isn't a genius move. Denver stated after the draft that if Warrick fell one more spot, they'd have picked him.

Add in some very average FA signings, the inexplicable decision not to extend or trade Swift last year when there were teams who wanted him. . . and I think it's safe to say Jerry clearly has lost his touch. Don't get me wrong, he's hired well at the coaching position and he's got a team that fights. He also helped turn JWill into a MUCH better NBA PG. But I just don't see what he's done to deserve the genius tag over the last few years.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #43
Swaggs
Coordinator

It isn't like there are guaranteed superstars at the #10 pick. If this was Milwaukee or Utah or Atlanta picking tenth, no one would even care.

Welcome to LA Andrew Bynum. Bayless is just hitting a soft spot because he knows the Lakers (and their fans) are sensitive right now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #44
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hmmm. seems like Bynum's taken down his myspace account. What a jerk Bayless is.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #45
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
Hmmm. seems like Bynum's taken down his myspace account. What a jerk Bayless is.
Um.. ok.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #46
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Skip Bayless is to being a Sports Journalist as Rae Carruth is to Times Man of the Year.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote