Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Scheduled for Shoulder Surgery.. anyone go through this?

Well, since my shoulder injury hasn't gotten better from freakin FEBRUARY..... The doic said that we had let PT and cortisone try to do its work, and it's just not fixing the issue, so it's time to go in (at the end of August) and find out what the issue is (they've done an MRI and X-Rays before).

has anyone here had this type of exploratory surgery?

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Were you playing catch with Joey Harrington?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nah.. this is what happened.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Well, since my shoulder injury hasn't gotten better from freakin FEBRUARY..... The doic said that we had let PT and cortisone try to do its work, and it's just not fixing the issue, so it's time to go in (at the end of August) and find out what the issue is (they've done an MRI and X-Rays before).

has anyone here had this type of exploratory surgery?

What are they exactly doing? Just looking at the damage and fixing it?

I had shoulder surgery back in November.

They cleaned out the scar tissue in the Joint, fixed a torn labrum, and then shaved about a 1/4" of bone off of my shoulder to even it up.

I have 4 small scars on my arm from it, and it took me a month before I received clearance to lift, but the strength increase and the pain free environment was more than worth...
Old 07-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They don't know what the problem is. They did X-Rays and MRI (they think it could be a labrum problem because it might not show on an MRI), they thought it was initially just a deep bone bruise, and ultrasound/electrical stimulus PT would fix it.

When it didn't go away right away, they gave me a cortisone shot, and then another.

We thought the 2nd cortisone shot had worked, I was doing ok and had regained a good portion of range of movement, but the last week/2 weeks (once the cortisone wore off), I hurt bad. Almost as bad as when I originally hurt it. I called the Doc and asked for an appointment..

he stated that they need to go in there, figuring out what is causing the issue, and fix it.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
They don't know what the problem is. They did X-Rays and MRI (they think it could be a labrum problem because it might not show on an MRI), they thought it was initially just a deep bone bruise, and ultrasound/electrical stimulus PT would fix it.

When it didn't go away right away, they gave me a cortisone shot, and then another.

We thought the 2nd cortisone shot had worked, I was doing ok and had regained a good portion of range of movement, but the last week/2 weeks (once the cortisone wore off), I hurt bad. Almost as bad as when I originally hurt it. I called the Doc and asked for an appointment..

he stated that they need to go in there, figuring out what is causing the issue, and fix it.

It will be arthroscopic surgery then, just a small incision to look into it...and if anything is bad, they will fix it...

It is what happened with me...They had planned on shaving the bone, but the torn labrum was a find by doing the exploratory stuff before...
Old 07-01-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
vtbub
College Starter

No more fastball throwing for you.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I was doing ok and had regained a good portion of range of movement, but the last week/2 weeks (once the cortisone wore off), I hurt bad. Almost as bad as when I originally hurt it. I called the Doc and asked for an appointment.

Are you still running into filing cabinets?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

I'm pretty sure my good friend is going to have the exact same thing done next week. He was a pitcher and his rotator cuff is all messed up. So they are going to take a little microscopic camera and go in his arm. It's crazy to think about it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've never had it done, but I've seen it done before. It was very cool from a Medical Student's perspective.

Good luck
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Do they give you pictures of your shoulder? I know when I had my knee surgery they gave me pictures. One of the torn ACL, the next of the fixed ACL, ect. That was really cool
Old 07-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dunno if this helps. I never had rotator cuff problems (KNOCK ON WOOD!) but I have had both shoulders repaired via open surgery for loose/torn ligaments following repeated dislocations.

This site http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com...er_surgery.htm
goes through my stories of my shoulders. The pictures on it are of the exploratory arthroscopy that each open surgery began with--they needed to verify my shoulders sucked before cutting them open. For my SHOULDERS, I have a 3-3.5" scar on the front of each shoulder/along the bra strap line/bathing suit line where the opened everything up to actually fix me. On the aforementioned website, there is a link for a guy who had the same procedure I did...it includes pictures of the open part.

Feel free to ask any questions. Shoulder repairs are 2 of the 8 in total I've had..

/tk
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #13
SegRat
High School Varsity

I had my shoulder scoped 3 years ago. I had bone spurs that needed to be shaved down. I was out of work for six weeks, but playing soccer in 2. It really wasnt that bad except the scar it left. The scar stuck out for a little more than 2 years, but has gone away for the most part now. They also went in from the back. I think I may still have some spurs yet, but my shoulder is in much better shape now.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, I concur with SegRat. The arthroscopic evaluations on both of my shoulder surgeries were done from the back. I have a "little x" scar on the back of both shoulders from the arthroscopic portal used in each, and as I said, the 3-3.5" scars on the front of each shoulder. See my website for more details..

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #15
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

I've had my left shoulder 'scoped twice (pretty much what indoorsoccersim said but 5 years between proceedures) and my left knee scoped once.

Arthroscopic surgery makes recovery much faster (no big incissions to heal, no cutting muscle just to get in, etc.), but when a doc cuts parts of you up and sucks them out a tube...it still hurts!

My second shoulder proceedure made me think I was a real pansey until the doc finally admitted that I should be hurting...he did a lot of cutting in there. Thanks doc!
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote