Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

BBQ Baby Back Ribs

i was thinking of bbq some baby back ribs for the 4th of July.

any good tips and recipe.

i like the meat to be tender, were it comes of the bone very easily. Like Houston and Tony Romas restaurant does it.

thanks

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Do you have a smoker? If not, I would put a rub on them, then put them in the oven at 200 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hour per pound. Then throw them on the grill for a bit and smother them in your favorite sauce until it carmelizes

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
korme
Go Reds

You need to come to Cincinnati and try Montgomery Inn's BBQ ribs. Best in the land!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Do you have a smoker? If not, I would put a rub on them, then put them in the oven at 200 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hour per pound. Then throw them on the grill for a bit and smother them in your favorite sauce until it carmelizes

thanks

what type of rub you put on it?

do you leave them open in the oven or have foil over the pan?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:35 AM   #5
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Last weekend I finally tried using a smoker for my ribs and they were exceptional. I was always taught to par-broil them before, but now I'll only smoke them. Those Weber smokers you can get at any store like Target or Wal-Mart should work great. Takes about 3 hours to cook a few racks of ribs. They won't be charred or anything, so you might have to throw them on a regular grill for a minute or two. That's what I did. Delicious.

I used a terriayki glaze for the ribs and marinated it in that sauce, with some pineapple (and pineapple juices). I used apple chips in the smoker. Hawaiian Ribs. Yummy stuff.

Those little Weber smokers are great. I smoked a turkey last Thanksgiving that turned out great. I also smoked some salmon. I plan on smoking some different meats the rest of the summer.

FYI, your meat should come out tender and juicy. The thing is that it is a wet smoker, rather than a dry smoker (I have one of those too). Your ribs will turn out tender and juicy.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I prefer my ribs to have some substance to them - I want to bite the meat off the bone, not have it fall apart so I can't exactly say the best way to go with cooking style. As for a dry rub - It can be as easy or complex as you want to make it.

I use Paprika, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper and salt (I think- It's been a while since I've made any up.) I can try to find the receipe if you're interested.

There is a standard ratio for making a dry rub available on the internet somewhere. I looked on foodtv but didnt' find it. It's like a 3.1.1.1 with the numbers being parts. (i.e. 3 parts paprika, 1 part black pepper, 1 part garlic, 1 part rosemerry, and 1 part split between brown sugar and cayenne pepper - just an example and I'm not sure my ratios are right).
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
Samdari
Roster Filler

There is something to what Breeze says about wanting the meat to have a litte resistance.

If you really want the meat to fall off the bone, by far the best way to achieve that is braising. Do this in a flavorful liquid (like white wine with some honey, garlic and some spices). Put the ribs in a foil pouch like airhog suggests, but put the liquid in. The connective tissue will dissolve in the hot liquid, and they will be "fall off the bone." Only way to truly get them that tender. Then put them on the grill for just a few minutes, and you've got great ribs. My absolute favorite are Alton Brown's "Who loves you baby back" recipe on foodtv.com.

Smoking (also low and long heat) will also make them pretty tender (a good halfway point between needing to rip the meat away with your teeth, and them falling off the bone). Also, by braising them, you will never get them to have the smoky flavor many prefer with ribs (but you can put any flavor you want in with the braising liquid). Putting liquid smoke (a TINY bit, please) in the braising liquid mimics it, but falls short of the flavor from real smoke.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Alton Brown is awesome.

Vinegar works quite well as a liquid tenderizor in Samdari's suggestion. Don't use a powdered meat tenderizor (in my opinion in creates an awful aftertaste that ruins meat).
Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

One more thing to think about - Spare Ribs have more meat on them than baby backs, but baby backs are probably better if you indeed want them to fall off the bone.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:41 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

St Louis style are better IMO. Whatever you do, just make sure you cook them until tender before you put them on the grill. And try to find a recipe for a bbq sauce online, probably will taste way better than store bought bottled shit. And wont be that hard to make overall.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:42 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also make sure to trim the excess fat from the Bottom, if there is a lot. will make a difference in the long run.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #12
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Damnit Shorty! Now you have me craving Montgomery Inn! Had half a slab at a luncheon about a month ago, that sure won't hold me over.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
You need to come to Cincinnati and try Montgomery Inn's BBQ ribs. Best in the land!

I did that back in February. The ribs themselves aren't bad, but whatever that stuff is they try to pass off for sauce is awful.

(Of course, I'm a southern barbecue snob, so take this for what it's worth.)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:10 AM   #14
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

No matter what else you do to them--rub or sauce or whatever--just remember two things:

Low and slow.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
any good tips

Going to Houston's or Tony Roma's should do the trick.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:27 AM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I want my baby back baby back baby back...

All you need to know:

http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/...rchType=Recipe

The "Grand" Champion griller Bobby Flay:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cook..._27386,00.html
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #17
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
thanks

what type of rub you put on it?

do you leave them open in the oven or have foil over the pan?

A good rub is one small bottle of paprika spice, a tsp of brown sugar, and any other spices you want to add. If you want a little heat, try adding some red pepper.

I rub my meat, and let it set in a pan in the refrigerator overnight. Then the next morning, I will put it in a big pan, like a turkey pan. You can add some liquid smoke here if you want a more smokey flavor since grilling them at the end isnt going to add much. I you add liquid smoke, I would say about 1/8 of a cup. I have tried wrapping mine up in tinfoil first, but it doesnt seem to make much difference, unless you can get it wrapped up really tight.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #18
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Also make sure to trim the excess fat from the Bottom, if there is a lot. will make a difference in the long run.

I would only do this if you plan to do your cooking in the oven at a low temp. If you plan to cook it in a smoker, then leave the fat on. It will melt and keep the meat moist.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:43 AM   #19
jbmagic
Pro Starter

thanks guys.

i love this time of year for great bbq.

Airdog

what is a liquid smoke?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #20
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Don't pre-cook the ribs. That's not true barbecue. The thing with ribs is they for true barbecue, you should cook them for a extended period on a low fire. Smokers work well for this. My ribs were super tender. I cooked a variety of spare ribs, country style ribs (thick lie spare ribs, but no bone), and boneless baby backs (really good).
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #21
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Yeah, don't pre-cook baby backs - there's not enough fat on them. I do usually pre-boil my spare ribs for ~30 min with a crab boil bag tossed in.

Tonight, I'll give you a marinate recicpie I use for southern-style ribs that's pretty much ketchup and Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by Scarecrow : 07-01-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #22
Tigercat
College Starter

Montgomery Inn's BBQ sauce is the only sauce I will use off the shelf in any way shape or form. Cause its one of the few that doesn't use freakin corn syrup as one of the main ingredients and it has a really nice flavor. Never eaten there before though, hopefully one of the next times I'm in Cincy I'll get a chance to.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Yeah, don't pre-cook baby backs - there's not enough fat on them. I do usually pre-boil my spare ribs for ~30 min with a crab boil bag tossed in.

Tonight, I'll give you a marinate recicpie I use for southern-style ribs that's pretty much ketchup and Dr. Pepper.

What does fat have to do with pre-cooking ribs? Nothing I tell you.

If you boil them full blast, you will make them tough. If you cook them in a small amount of liquid in low heat for hours, they will be the most tender meat you have ever had, and with as much flavor as you can stand.

You lose nothing by doing so.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #24
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
thanks guys.

i love this time of year for great bbq.

Airdog

what is a liquid smoke?

it is basically smoke, that is liquified. They take smoke, and condense it into a liqiud form. I use it all the time for a smokey flavor. Like others have said, its not quite the same as smoking it over some wood chips, but it works great if you are trying to cook stuff in your oven and want it to taste like it was charcoaled. I mainly use it on brisket and ribs because I dont own a smoker, and even If I did, the hassle of smoking a brisket for 12 hours is too much for me. I can put it in my oven for the same amount of time and not worry about it at all.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #25
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I have found you can also pressure cook them. They wont be nearly as good as cooking them in the oven or in a smoker, but they are not bad. Add some spices and a bit of Liquid smoke to the water in the bottom. Then throw them on a hot grill and carmelize your BBQ sauce.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:04 PM   #26
Airhog
Captain Obvious

My favorite BBQ sauce is a local brand. Im not sure how many states it is in, but it is the only BBQ sauce I like. the name of the stuff is Head Country. You might pick up a bottle next time and try it out. Just so you know I like my BBQ sauce a touch sweet with a bit of kick. I normally get the orginal recipe, but the other stuff isnt bad either.

Last edited by Airhog : 07-01-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I worked at a rib joint(Damon's Clubhouse) for a few years. We dipped them in smoke, and then placed them in a pan, on a rack with a small amount of water in it. And then sealed the pan. Baked them for about 2 hours, on medium heat, until the bones easily moved back and forth. And then dipped them in sauce, and roasted them over high heat until the appropriate doneness. Their ribs were excellent(though St Louis, not Baby Back).
Old 07-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

what good is dipping them in smoke?

what like the smoke instantly sticks?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
what good is dipping them in smoke?

what like the smoke instantly sticks?

Yeah.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Yeah.

I don't buy it. Next you'll tell me McNuggets are real chicken.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:03 PM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

While a little bit off-topic, I have to vote for smoking as a cooking method.

I used to not like turkey much until one Thanksgiving when my cousin, who's an excellent cook, made smoked turkey.

It was the best tasting turkey I've ever had and I really liked it. Since then, I won't eat any turkey unless it's smoked.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #32
jbmagic
Pro Starter

deep frying turkey is great too. (peanut oil)

takes like 10 to 15 minutes for a whole turkey.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
deep frying turkey is great too. (peanut oil)

takes like 10 to 15 minutes for a whole turkey.

Jared would be pissed.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote