Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yet Another Excel Thread

For my video game thread, I've got an Excel spreadshee that looks something like this.
NES Castlevania 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie Vince
NES Contra 2005.6.14 NES Classics (2nd Ed) Freebie NevStar
NES Double Dragon 2005.6.14 NES Classics (2nd Ed) Freebie RainRaven
NES Duck Hunt 2005.6.14 NES Classics (2nd Ed) Freebie Celeval
NES Excitebike 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie Blade6119
NES Final Fantasy 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie Coffee Warlord
NES Mega Man 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie kingfc22
NES Metroid 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie SirFozzie
NES Mike Tyson's Punch Out 2005.6.14 NES Classics (2nd Ed) Freebie Wolfpack
NES Ninja Gaiden 2005.6.14 NES Classics (2nd Ed) Freebie Izulde
NES Super Mario Bros 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie Chas in Cinti
NES Super Mario Bros 2 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie Radii
NES Super Mario Bros 3 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie Northwood_DK
NES The Legend of Zelda 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie terpkristin
NES Tetris 2005.6.14 NES Classics (1st Ed) Freebie TazFTW

I'm trying to create a separate sheet to tabulate scores, perhaps using COUNTIF, using a table like this:

Name
CoffeeWarlord 0 1 0 3

=COUNTIF(Games!F2:F204,A4)

But I need to verify two things- if the name is the same and if the rank of the question is the same (freebie, bronze, silver, gold). Is there an easy way to do this with countif or a similar command.

If that wasn't clear, I essentially, need to count up how many freebie, bronze, silver, and gold answers people made on a separate table.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
mhass
High School Varsity

If I get what you're asking, and I might not, I think you just need an And() function in your countif.

countif(range,and(name,level)) for each name/level combo

edit: now that I look at that, it won't work. Ignore me.

Last edited by mhass : 06-15-2005 at 05:52 PM.
mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure you cannot do 'and' statements in excel... (without vbscript at least)...

What I would do is concatinate (sp?) the two in a 3rd field and use that in your countif...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I had the same idea as mhass, but the "and" won't work because your range will have two columns.

I'm not sure if wade meant that we can't do "and" statement at all in excel, or only in the countif. It's possible to do "and" in excel, just not in that function.

I'd also use a concatenate(A2;B2) to create a new column that would have the player's name and the level of the question in one cell, then do the countif on four consecuive cells next to the name of the player in your other sheet...

FM
Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

yeah, i meant within a function .

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'll concur with FrogMan. It's not the most pretty, but the concatenation is a quick way to come up with a total. Basically, just have a column on sheet two with everybody's name in it, then put in a formula like

"=COUNTIF(Sheet1!c1:c100,"=Freebie"&A1)"

where A1 is a player's name (in this example).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

NO NO NO!!! Forget what I said, my brain was turned off... 2 words

PIVOT TABLE!!!

But you'll need headers on your columns... After that, it'll do everything by itself...

Let me know if you need a walkthrough...

FM
Old 06-15-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Rule number one in excel:

When in Doubt - PIVOT TABLE!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the help, guys. I have something new to look into tomorrow

SI

Old 06-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure you cannot do 'and' statements in excel... (without vbscript at least)...
You most certainly CAN do 'and' in Excel formulas -- it's a function. Same as or.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #11
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Rule number one in excel:

When in Doubt - Frogman!!!!!!

Fixed that for ya.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
You most certainly CAN do 'and' in Excel formulas -- it's a function. Same as or.

Yes, you can do "and"- it's pretty common. But what I'm asking can't be set up with "and" in conjunction with "countif" at least in any incarnation I can think of. Basically, because you'd be asking excel to be both an iterator and something that's just a simple counting function.

SI

Old 06-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
Fixed that for ya.
Very true. FM is an Excel deity and that's no slight on anyone else who has posted here- many of you have had lots of helpful stuff. I've seen his hattrick spreadsheet and and it's like heaven if the afterlife were designed by computer scientists and math majors who liked to play soccer sims.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-15-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:19 PM   #14
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Yes, you can do "and"- it's pretty common. But what I'm asking can't be set up with "and" in conjunction with "countif" at least in any incarnation I can think of. Basically, because you'd be asking excel to be both an iterator and something that's just a simple counting function.
My usual way of handling that would be by using an auxiliary column in either the worksheet to be counted or a mirror sheet.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #15
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
My usual way of handling that would be by using an auxiliary column in either the worksheet to be counted or a mirror sheet.

That's what I was trying to say. Make a column for each combination to the right of your answers. Use If(And( [Name Answ] = [Name Col], [Ques Level] = [Ques Col]), 1, 0). Then Sum your columns at the bottom. Put those sums in your results table.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:44 AM   #16
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

PIVOT TABLE!!!!

FM
PS: thanks for the kind words guys, appreciate it
Old 06-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #17
wade moore
lolzcat

What was that FM?

Good point actually...

Quote:
Old 06-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

These are a neat feature I've never messed with before so I've got a couple of questions.

Count of AnswerRank
AnswerBronzeGoldSilverGrand Total
Coffee Warlord 11
N/A 1 1
NevStar1 1
Northwood_DK1 1
SirFozzie 11
terpkristin1 1
Grand Total3126

(I've decided to stop asking "Can I do this" = "Is there a way to do this in a way that doesn't result in a lot of pain")

1. Can I set the order of the columns above? I'd much rather it be "Bronze/Silver/Gold"

2. I can make a simple "total points" column based on the three columns. But what if I add a new type of trivia question to my contest and suddenly have "gold, silver, bronze, super" or something. When I update the pivot chart data, will the new "super" column wipe out the total points column?

3. Can I sort the list by that "total points" column so that it's ranked based on who has the most total points without having to do a "sort" every single day? Is there a built in way to do that with pivot tables?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-16-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #19
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Try here
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #20
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I've got excel in French here, so the terms may not be right...

1) right click on the column header, there should be a "order" in there, you can move the columns to where you want them

2) the pivot table will expand. Only problem is if you add some calculated formula to the right of your grand total column, that will be wiped out. Now I'm thinking, is your grand total automatically calculated by the pivot table or not? if not, there's a way to have the table do that. If it is, then it is part of the table and will expand if more columns are needed.

3) double click on the cell that reads "Answer" (should be grey) and click "advanced" you can set sorting in there...

FM
Old 06-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I've got excel in French here, so the terms may not be right...

1) right click on the column header, there should be a "order" in there, you can move the columns to where you want them

Good deal. That was easy

Quote:
2) the pivot table will expand. Only problem is if you add some calculated formula to the right of your grand total column, that will be wiped out. Now I'm thinking, is your grand total automatically calculated by the pivot table or not? if not, there's a way to have the table do that. If it is, then it is part of the table and will expand if more columns are needed.

3) double click on the cell that reads "Answer" (should be grey) and click "advanced" you can set sorting in there...

Is there a way to set up my Grand Total to not just be a count of the number of answers, but ((Count of Gold *5) + (Count of Silver * 3) + (Count of Bronze * 1))? Then 2 and 3 are solved at the same time because then I just sort on Grand Total.

SI

Old 06-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #22
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I'm trying to find a way to do it inside the pivot table but I can't seem to find one. Best way would be to hide the current grand total and create the addition in an outside column, with the good weight for every type of answer. Dont worry, if you ever come to introduce a new level, it will ask you if you want to replace the outside grand total with a new column from the pivot table before it does so. You can then say no, move the grand total column one to the right and add the level to your pivot table afterward...

FM
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #23
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Good deal. That was easy

Is there a way to set up my Grand Total to not just be a count of the number of answers, but ((Count of Gold *5) + (Count of Silver * 3) + (Count of Bronze * 1))? Then 2 and 3 are solved at the same time because then I just sort on Grand Total.

SI

You should be able to do this using a calculated field. Make sure the pivot bar toolbar is showing. Click on "Pivot Table", then Formulas, then Calculated Field. You can create the formula in there and it should show up in your table. Hope this is what you were looking for -- I just skimmed your post.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #24
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
You should be able to do this using a calculated field. Make sure the pivot bar toolbar is showing. Click on "Pivot Table", then Formulas, then Calculated Field. You can create the formula in there and it should show up in your table. Hope this is what you were looking for -- I just skimmed your post.

Keep in mind if you add a calculated field, your grand total become essentially worthless...

It will add Gold + Silver + Bronze + Calculated Field..

Any time I added a calculated field, I automatically hide the Grand Total colum..

Quote:
Old 06-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've been fighting with how to do the calculated field. I just can't figure out how to make the total. Every time I do something, it adds a second row to each set of data and not a column at the end of the table like I want. I guess it's just that I can't figure out how to select the data I want to use.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-16-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I've been fighting with how to do the calculated field. I just can't figure out how to make the total. Every time I do something, it adds a second row to each set of data and not a column at the end of the table like I want. I guess it's just that I can't figure out how to select the data I want to use.

SI

Send the spreadsheet to wademoore AT gmail.com

Quote:
Old 06-17-2005, 02:33 AM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Frankly, I have no idea how I did it but thanks to wade's instructions via gmail and some tinkering on my own, I have an auto updating, auto counting, and auto sorting (based on total points) pivot table. Also, I have no idea how it knew to sort via the score field but I'm not complaining as it works after about 30 minutes of messing with it.

SI

Old 06-17-2005, 04:33 AM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

glad i could help

Quote:
Old 06-17-2005, 07:38 AM   #29
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

one last time...

PIVOT TABLE!!!!

FM
Old 06-17-2005, 07:41 AM   #30
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Maybe you should try that pivot thing, whatever it is called, does anyone know?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:10 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, does anyone know how I magically got it to sort? At that point, I was trying anything I could come up with and wasn't paying all that much attention.

SI

Old 06-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #32
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
So, does anyone know how I magically got it to sort? At that point, I was trying anything I could come up with and wasn't paying all that much attention.

SI

With the pivot table menu bar active, click the title above the list of players. Then click the pivot table drop down on the menu bar and find something something that looks like "sort and top 10" (I got it in French here, it says "Tri et Top 10")... you should find your sorting in there...

FM
Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
With the pivot table menu bar active, click the title above the list of players. Then click the pivot table drop down on the menu bar and find something something that looks like "sort and top 10" (I got it in French here, it says "Tri et Top 10")... you should find your sorting in there...

FM

Now it's starting to do screwy things as to how it sorts. It will sort by the games list rather than by the total points and I can't find how to sort by that. If I select "sort"- it only allows me pick "count of game" and "answer". It won't let me select the columns by which it sorts.

SI

Old 07-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #34
lurker
High School JV

Highlight the data in the pivot table, not including the header rows. Then go to data, then sort. If you want to sort by total points, and that starts in cell G5, for example, put that in the Sort By spot.

This is even easier if you have your toolbar set up to have the sort arrow on there. Then you choose the total points column header and click the arrow.

Last edited by lurker : 07-01-2005 at 02:22 PM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote