Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

I need some QUICK help on this, and was hoping I could ask the FOFC community for help.

I just got one (sort of) offer for a job. That is, the've said they unanimously loved me and have made an offer, which is frankly a low ball, so I've told them that the dollar amount was a disappointment and that I would prefer a bit more, based on other people in the same geographical area and with the same experience and knowing what they're making. I think they're going to negotiate it with me, but I have another job where they loved me but have been dragging their heels on what contract they might bring me in on. That said, I'd prefer to work at the "other job" (that's been dragging its heels), and I need to send an email to my recruiter dude to let him know that:
1. time is of the essence
2. he better figure out what to do with me or risk losing me

So, that said. This is the letter. Can anybody help me fix it up? I would like to send it, the sooner the better, so "quick" help would be appreicated.
----
I was hoping to get in touch with you about working with Millennium. As you know, I really enjoyed meeting the people at Millennium and I would be a great fit on the team. I was wondering if there was an update on possibly getting pulled in on some contract, though. I would like to work for Millennium, however, I have received other offers, so need to make a decision quickly. Thanks again for your time! I look forward to hearing from you soon.
----

Thanks all for help...

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

Dear Whomever,

Thanks for your interest in having me join your team. I want to say without reservation that I am interested in talking about a contract. Everything about this position fits my current goals.

I have recieved other concrete offers for similiar positions, but frankly, at this time, I would prefer a comparable offer from your firm. If an offer is forthcoming, we would all best be served by an expedited process.

Once again, I think I would enjoy working at your company, and I believe I am an excellent fit for the position we discussed. Thanks for your time and interest.

Sincerely,
terrapin girl

I was hoping to get in touch with you about working with Millennium. As you know, I really enjoyed meeting the people at Millennium and I would be a great fit on the team. I was wondering if there was an update on possibly getting pulled in on some contract, though. I would like to work for Millennium, however, I have received other offers, so need to make a decision quickly. Thanks again for your time! I look forward to hearing from you soon.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Letter? All you need to do is make a phone call...

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I love black people!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I'm Mr. Black People.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Dear Recruiter Dude,

I am writing to see if you have heard anything further from Millennium. As you know, I really enjoyed meeting with everyone at Millennium and I know I will be a great fit for the team.

In the interim, I have received offers from other organizations, and will be forced to make some decisions on these in the very near future. I very much prefer to take advantage of an opportunity with Millennium, of course, and as such it would be helpful to know where I stand with them.

Thanks again for your time and your help. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
me
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks all for the help! I sent an email along the lines of st. cronin and flere-imasho's suggestions. This is what I just got back. I really need to figure out what the hell this means, because I've been unemployed long enough that I can't really sit on any offers. Any thoughts???

You are in our minds daily … we have proposed you for one of the slots working at ATK in Elkton, as you know, and are awaiting their decision. Our understanding is that they are meeting today and tomorrow to make this/related decisions. We would expect to hear late next week (allowing time to filter through their corporate structure).

Additionally, we are seriously considering you for work under other expanding contracts. Additionally, we are considering you to plug into a training program that would broaden your skills and our capability to react to some of these short notice requests from our clients in the future.

You should certainly continue to look around, but don’t doubt that we are very serious about fitting you into MEI. You’ll like it here.

Call if you have any questions, Kristin. Enjoy Independence Day.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

If you can afford to wait til next week, do so. You could, if you like, negotiate in good faith with the other company, and then when/if Millenium makes an offer, just say to the other guys 'Sorry, my dream job just came calling.'
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

I'm not feeling you, Jerry.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
KevinNU7
College Starter

Kristin basically said, "Our company blows ass, and it takes us way to long to make decisions. If you do work for us it will take you months of extra time to recieve promotions and new experiences here. We Suck, you should work somewhere much more organized"
Old 06-30-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

What?
You're saying Millennium would be bad because they're taking so long?

We shall see, I am definitely holding out until next week regardless. I'd prefer to work for Millennium, but if they can't make an offer, I really can't hold out for another month. I need to get a job, not only for $$$ but for a chance to spend my time doing something other than sleeping or playing video games.

Any advice in general is appreciated, though. Thanks everyone, who's already responded and who might respond.

/tk
Old 06-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
I need to get a job, not only for $$$ but for a chance to spend my time doing something other than sleeping or playing video games.

The offer still stands to become my personal one-woman harom / cook / maid.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:04 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
... a chance to spend my time doing something other than sleeping or playing video games.

Any advice in general is appreciated, though. Thanks everyone, who's already responded and who might respond.

/tk

Stick with the sleeping and playing video games. After five years in the workforce, you'll thank me.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
What?
You're saying Millennium would be bad because they're taking so long?

We shall see, I am definitely holding out until next week regardless. I'd prefer to work for Millennium, but if they can't make an offer, I really can't hold out for another month. I need to get a job, not only for $$$ but for a chance to spend my time doing something other than sleeping or playing video games.

/tk

With contract positions, it's really being in the right place at the right time. So they may love you, but if they don't have some place to slot you in right away, they may not want to pay you just to keep you on the bench.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:27 PM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sadly, this may be my biggest problem. My MS is in aerospace engineering, and since NASA itself is on a hiring freeze, I'm ALWAYS going to get pulled into something as a contract position. Maybe this is a part of why it's been almost 6 full months that I've been unemployed. I also think that my BS in physics is hurting me (as opposed to a BS in some form of engineering).

Regardless, I'll keep y'all posted on where I end up (if I end up anywhere...), and am still open to advice and suggestions. Thanks

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 06-30-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
After five years in the workforce, you'll thank me.

If, on the whole, the first five years I spent working had been like the last five, I probably wouldn't have needed nearly that long to find myself preferring couches and/or video games.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #17
jamesUMD
High School JV

Is the recruiter a firm like Aerotek? There's plusses and minuses with those types of recruiters. On the plus, you get your foot in the door, and when your initial contract is fulfilled, the company may make you an offer that includes a substantial bump in pay.

The negative that I saw is that someone else is negotiating the best deal for the company, that being Aerotek, not neccesarily the potential employee, that being you. As long as they plug somebody into the opening (not neccesarily you), they are happy. That and they are job hunting for anywhere from 20-100+people.

I spent 6 months going through a recruiter right out of college with nada to show for it. Then a guy at the gym I was working at part-time while at University of Maryland asked what I was working on. I told him my resume. He said to meet him the next day at the bar across the street and he would look at it. When I showed up, like 10 regulars from the gym recognized me and came up to say hi. Next thing I knew I had 2 interviews set up within a week and had my first post college job the following.

If you told me I had to go to the bar to find a job I would have said that your nuts.

It's shitty, but I had to admit then that the saying is true, "It's not what you know it's who you know". The guy that helped me just asked that I help someone else out when I am in the position to do so, which I have done 2 times thus far.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #18
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Yes it's true in THIS industry if you know somebody you'll get in faster.
My contact at Millennium isn't a recruiter. He's one of the VP's, and I've been on his radar for awhile. I'm hoping that being wanted at another place will help them make me an offer sooner rather than later. Time will tell on that, hopefully within the next week or so from both companies.

/tk
Old 07-01-2005, 04:07 AM   #19
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Help me... Help you... Help me... Help you
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:07 AM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

SHOW ME THE MONEY!