Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
st.cronin
General Manager

Santa Fe/Albuquerque residents

My fiance and I are moving to somewhere in your neighborhood in August. We will have business in both cities. Anybody have any tips on the pros/cons of living in either one and commuting to the other? I assume Albuquerque has a lower cost of living, but I am not sure, and I would guess there are communities in Santa Fe that may be relatively cheap as well.

Eventually, we will probably be buying a property there, but that's likely a year out.

She's heading down on a reconaissance mission next week.

Any tips or concerns we should have?

st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I think you need to retitle this So...I'm in Santa Fe....

I'm of no use for suggestions, I have never been there.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I think you need to retitle this So...I'm in Santa Fe....

I'm of no use for suggestions, I have never been there.

so noted
Old 06-29-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

You're going to want to live somewhere in the northern part of Albuquerque and commute an hour to Santa Fe - the places to live are the heights in the northeast (Albuquerque) and northwest (Rio Rancho). Coming from Madison, WI, I would guess you'd want to stay away from anywhere called "the valley". Santa Fe has an absurdly high cost of living compared to the rest of the state - right out of college (ten years ago) I lived in an efficiency in northeast Albuquerque (about 250 sq. ft) for $500 a month and did the commute to Santa Fe rather than try to live up there. (It was necessary to live in a fairly well-off apartment complex to make sure I didn't get, you know, shot.)

For the older homes (more than five-10 years), anything east of Wyoming and north of Menaul is going to get you into a pretty good part of town. The schools out that way are not that bad. Well, they're BAD, don't get me wrong, but we're talking from a don't-get-your-kid-in-a-gang standpoint here.

If you want something in the new construction side of Albuquerque, the entire West Side has been rediculously built up in the last ten years. Again, north and west are the areas to choose. If I were to move back to Albuquerque, the biggest concerns I have are in safety. The city sprawls, but the layout of the commercial zones always seemed to make it very easy to get to where I wanted and be able to run errands. My family, however, lived in the "nice" section of town, in the foothills, and we felt safe since the only things to happen were that the house got shot at a couple times and my sister's ex burned down the high school's library.

I mention this to make sure you know that the less expensive neighborhoods might not be as safe.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:15 PM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
You're going to want to live somewhere in the northern part of Albuquerque and commute an hour to Santa Fe - the places to live are the heights in the northeast (Albuquerque) and northwest (Rio Rancho). Coming from Madison, WI, I would guess you'd want to stay away from anywhere called "the valley". Santa Fe has an absurdly high cost of living compared to the rest of the state - right out of college (ten years ago) I lived in an efficiency in northeast Albuquerque (about 250 sq. ft) for $500 a month and did the commute to Santa Fe rather than try to live up there. (It was necessary to live in a fairly well-off apartment complex to make sure I didn't get, you know, shot.)

For the older homes (more than five-10 years), anything east of Wyoming and north of Menaul is going to get you into a pretty good part of town. The schools out that way are not that bad. Well, they're BAD, don't get me wrong, but we're talking from a don't-get-your-kid-in-a-gang standpoint here.

If you want something in the new construction side of Albuquerque, the entire West Side has been rediculously built up in the last ten years. Again, north and west are the areas to choose. If I were to move back to Albuquerque, the biggest concerns I have are in safety. The city sprawls, but the layout of the commercial zones always seemed to make it very easy to get to where I wanted and be able to run errands. My family, however, lived in the "nice" section of town, in the foothills, and we felt safe since the only things to happen were that the house got shot at a couple times and my sister's ex burned down the high school's library.

I mention this to make sure you know that the less expensive neighborhoods might not be as safe.

Thanks for the info. What is this 'valley' you speak of, and why would someone from Madison wish to avoid it?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
st. cronin: Come on, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia, it's like going into Wisconsin.

Shkspr: Well, I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once. Forget it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

Stripes?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:29 AM   #8
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Essentially, the older parts of Albuquerque that lie along the Rio Grande River, and the downtown areas to a lesser extent, make up the North Valley and the South Valley. It's in these older areas where the Hispanic and Native American cultures dominate the neighborhoods. Some of the areas are quite beautiful, there are some excellent restaurants, and much of the artistic beauty of the city - which is very much in evidence - is in the valley. If you're older, of an artistic temperment, and are familiar with Southwestern culture, Anglos can blend in some places.

It is purely racial profiling that made me wonder if you might be a corn-fed whitebread cheesehead, and to direct you to the gilded slums where our kind dwell. Seriously, the heights is where the folks who came in during the past few decades, to work at the air force base, or the university, or the labs, or Intel are supposed to live. Once you get used to the city and the rhythms of life in New Mexico (it is different), you'll know if moving to one of the older sections of town is for you.

I should point out that living in Albuquerque has an undeniably cool edge to it. The air seems clearer (except for today with the fires in AZ throwing smoke in the air), the light seems brighter, the artsy parts seem artier, the sleazy parts seem sleazier than in most cities in the US. The weather and scenery is AMAZING, there's outdoor excitement anywhere you look, and the town is big enough to get some good concerts and tours. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are small enough that the Southwestern culture integrates comepletely with day to day life (whereas Phoenix is almost all California tans and golf courses these days).

I've mentioned little of Santa Fe, because you don't want to live there. Living in the Texas Panhandle, My wife and I have got a nice little three bedroom house, two cars that are paid off, and are socking away a healthy chunk towards retirement. To do as well in Santa Fe, I'd estimate our necessary income to be about $120K. On top of that, you're looking at a city that has a permanent population of about 80K, and a transient (tourist and political) population of probably half that. Santa Fe is a great place to go if you live in Albuquerque, but it seems hollow to me as a city. The only real benefit to Santa Fe is saving the hour's commute, I think.

In retrospect, I'm glad I spent my college years and twenties in New Mexico, and I wouldn't hesitate to move back if my work took me there. I sure as hell wish my work WOULD take me back there instead of the alternatives if I were to leave the Panhandle. Just remember that Midwesterners like us have our own places to live in Albuquerque, and everything will be fine.

Oh, and if you have to choose, eat at the Garduno's restaurant on Montgomery and not the one on Academy. Much better atmosphere.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hey Shkspr,

I'll honk as I drive through Amarillo tomorrow...

I might stop at the Big Texan on the way back from our trip to try the 72 oz. challenge. Of all the times I have driven through Amarillo, I never have stopped in there.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

cartman,

It's the damn shrimp cocktail you've got to eat with it that kills ya. Or so I'm told - there are enough good cheap steakhouses in town that I've never been tempted to try and cadge one for free.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #11
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I used to work for a client in Albuqueruque, but I always stayed in Santa Fe when I went to work there. I thought Alberquerque was a hole. That was 12 years ago.

The mexican food in the area is great, even in Albuquerque . I'm guessing Shkspr has a better picture of things than I do. It might be that I thought Santa Fe was cooler, because eventhough I spent quite a bit of time there, I was essentially a tourist.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote