Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #1
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

FOF - Why no blocking rating for RBs

It's always bothered me that RBs don't get blocking ratings. In NFL, it's pretty important, but not reflected in the game. In fact, if you're running a lot of WR sets, it's very important. But we don't see it. My question is if Jim has ever discussed this or not. Is there perhaps a hidden rating (I think maybe because you can play a RB in the FB position on the depth chart)? Or is it because the gameplay does not factor in RB blocking at all, so it doesn't matter (too bad if that's the case)? And then finally, if you are running a lot of formations with only 1 RB, should you try to stick in the FB there who has at least some ratings for it, or again would that not even be part of the AI calculations.

A lot of questions, I know, but I am just wondering if this has ever been looked at in depth before.

This is all the help file says, which seems to refer only to the ratings you actually see in game:

"Running backs and fullbacks are scouted for their power running the ball inside, their speed in getting to the outside, their third-down running, their ability to find an open hole in the defense, their elusiveness (ability to occasionally break long runs at the expense of sometimes getting caught begind the line of scrimmage), their pass-catching ability, their catch frequency, their ablility to catch third-down passes, their ability to avoid fumbling and their endurance. Running backs are rated for breakaway speed and fullbacks are rated for both run and pass blocking."

Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:06 AM   #2
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Everyone has a rating for everything, it's just hidden. But I agree that you should see a RB's pass blocking rating, but pass blocking for TE's and FB's are a mystery to me so I don't know if it would help any.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:17 AM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Everyone has a rating for everything, it's just hidden.

Proof?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:38 AM   #4
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Proof?
Don't question me, I have spoken.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...2&postcount=24

Seriously though, nothing is for sure known in FOF, but I think that is pretty good evidence.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:40 AM   #5
MIJB#19
Coordinator

If we know one thing for sure it's that players are rated for everything.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:46 AM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Okay, fair enough. Doesn't really help answer the original question though. I did find this in the Player File Generator help file.

Quote:
All players are rated for all categories, though these ratings are ignored if not relevant to the player's position.

Column Y: Completing Screen Passes.
Column Z: Completing Short Passes.
Column AA: Completing Medium Passes.
Column AB: Completing Long Passes.
Column AC: Completing Very Long Passes.
etc
Old 06-24-2005, 04:00 AM   #7
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Okay, fair enough. Doesn't really help answer the original question though.
I'm pretty sure it answers this question from the original post, but I could be misunderstanding:
Quote:
Is there perhaps a hidden rating (I think maybe because you can play a RB in the FB position on the depth chart)?

Last edited by MrBigglesworth : 06-24-2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:09 AM   #8
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
I'm pretty sure it answers this question from the original post, but I could be misunderstanding:

I didn't read his post.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

With the exception of the QB ratings (only QBs get the passes, read defense, etc.), everyone is rated in everything. Most of the time, what you don't see is 0/0, but in some cases (RB blocking and QB/FB rushing are two examples), there are positive values.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The question seems to be whether RB1 ever stays in to block, or whether he always goes into the pattern. If he is never assigned to pick up a rusher, then it does not matter if he has pass blocking ability or not.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #11
Subby
lolzcat

And has anyone ever seen TE2 do anything?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #12
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
And has anyone ever seen TE2 do anything?

Yeah, on a regular basis. Block, catch, drop passes, etc.... One thing I like doing is having a TE2 with good RR, and watching him take advantage of a coverage-challenged WLB.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

Interesting - whenever I run 2-TE sets they seem to gave minimal impact at best.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #14
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, I wouldn't say they have a great impact, but it can be done. You do, however, have to invest a bit in the 2nd TE, which few people are willing to do (and perhaps rightly so).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:10 AM   #15
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Thanks for some of the info guys. A hidden rating makes sense, but I am guessing that if you are playing in the RB position, it doesn't figure in the calculations; but only when the RB plays at FB. Plus, if you have a great blocking FB, you may want him to be the sole RB in the 4 receiver set.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote