Only Gonzalez will 5 8.33%
Only Glaus will 2 3.33%
Only Green will 1 1.67%
None of them will 49 81.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Arizona Diamondbacks: Hall of Fame Discussion

Just something I thought would be a nice way to start non-political debates around here. Every late night/early morning I'll post about the HOF chances of a particular MLB team (in alphabetical order).

I'll give a poll of the 3 players I think are most likely to make the Hall of Fame. Of course, some (most) teams won't come close to the criteria for the hall, so most of the time it will be the 3 best career on the team. It should be an interesting discussion for some teams, pretty boring for others (See AZ). So here we go. The poll choices will hopefully be obvious, but who knows.

Luis Gonzalez: Honestly, I'd have to say no Diamondback has had a career warranting of the Hall, but Gonzalez looks like he'll have the best career. He'll be 38 by years end, and should finish with 20-25 home runs this year, which would get him around 317. At best he'll have 2-3 more decent years, so he'll probably top out around 350 at best. According to baseball reference, his most similar player at this age is Tony Perez, but its a different era, and given his career, that season of 57 Home runs really stands out. No Hall

Troy Glaus: Will be 29 at the end of the season. I think if he had been able to stay healthy, this would be a different conversation. He's played the equivalent of 5.5 seasons and has 198 home runs. If he can keep that pace up until he's 40, and stays healthy, he's looking at close to 600 home runs. But those are big ifs. Fortunately, he seemed to fly under the radar during the first few "steroid years," and has been hurt during the inquiry days, so that may help him escape some of the scrutiny if he does get it together and stays healthy. He's most similar to Mike Schmidt according to BB-ref. I've always liked him, but No Hall (but I'm willing to change if his health holds up.

Shawn Green: I needed someone to round out the group. He's 32 with 290 Home runs. He seems to be getting worse each year. He's compared to Dale Murphy on BBR, which isn't a good thing (trust me, I love the Braves). It looked like he be the Jewish Hank Greenberg for a few years, but he seemed to lose all ability to hit. Assuming he doesn't quit because he sucks, he should get 20-25 home runs a year from here on out. If he goes for 8 years, thats about 450 home runs or so. He'd hit around .280, but his K's are up and BB are down this year, so thats not a good sign. Very likely No Hall.

Too Soon:
I think Brandon Webb has put nice stats together, and he always succeeds in OOTP, but he doesn't have a good career record, and who knows if he'll have the chance. I doubt it would happen, but he has the best chance of the youngsters.

So in conclusion, I don't think any current D-Back will make the Hall of Fame.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 06-22-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
dervack
College Prospect

You're just trying to get a free game from Arlie.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Don't make me drive over and dunk you in the Cooper, you non-political-debater, you.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
Easy Mac

Nah, I loved CAD, but their other games haven't tickled my fancy yet... I'm not a nice interface guy, it just gets in my way... give me a spreadsheet and a bunch of numbers.... not that I won't demo/buy BBCF
Old 06-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I fully admit all DBacks currently on the roster are a longshot to make the HOF. If I had to guess a name, though, I would say Vazquez or Webb. Gonzo will be tainted by the "steroid era" and Glaus doesn't have the health history. And, unless he finds a time machine, Green has no chance.

Still, it is nice to see DBacks and "Hall of Fame" together
Old 06-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Don't make me drive over and dunk you in the Cooper, you non-political-debater, you.

Depends, can we jump off the new, new Coop? Man, I'm going to hate driving that thing to work every day. Of course, I'll be in Isle of P Saturday night for the ALS walk/run, so stop by the Windjammer that night, I'll be there having ummm fun after the walk/run.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I fully admit all DBacks currently on the roster are a longshot to make the HOF. If I had to guess a name, though, I would say Vazquez or Webb. Gonzo will be tainted by the "steroid era" and Glaus doesn't have the health history. And, unless he finds a time machine, Green has no chance.

Still, it is nice to see DBacks and "Hall of Fame" together

Yeah, I thought of Vazquez, but that Yankee year has tainted him in my mind. Hopefully I'll find some interesting teams soon (and I intend to have a dissertation on the Braves tomorrow night/Friday morning).
Old 06-22-2005, 11:39 PM   #8
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Depends, can we jump off the new, new Coop? Man, I'm going to hate driving that thing to work every day. Of course, I'll be in Isle of P Saturday night for the ALS walk/run, so stop by the Windjammer that night, I'll be there having ummm fun after the walk/run.
Heck, we ought to finally have that beer...I think I'll be free Saturday.

The new Coop looks beautiful...surprised to hear you'll hate it. You prefer the current deathtrap?
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

It depends on if Geroge W. Bush is commisioner of baseball.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

NO HELL ATLANTIC SHOULD NOT BE IN TEH HALL OF FAME!!!!

Oh you are talking about real life I thougth you were talking about the RWBL.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #11
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I don't think any body on that team is HOF worthy.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Question... if Randy Johnson doesn't win a World Series with the Yankees, does he go to the hall as a Diamondback?

I'd like to see Gonzo make it, but I think the steroid allegations will sink any chance he has.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #13
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Question... if Randy Johnson doesn't win a World Series with the Yankees, does he go to the hall as a Diamondback?
I don't know why he wouldn't. On the Yankees, he's one of many - with the "true" Yankees of Jeter, Bernie, Rivera, Posada and co getting most of the credit. In Arizona, Randy and Curt were the DBacks, with Randy being the face of the organization from 1999 on. He won numerous MVPs on Arizona as well. I think it would be silly for him to go in as anything other than a DBack. He built the Diamondbacks, the Yankees were already winning championships years before he arrived there.

Quote:
I'd like to see Gonzo make it, but I think the steroid allegations will sink any chance he has.
We'll see how he does in his final 2-3 season, but .287/.371/.489 is not all that bad of a career by HOF standards. What hurts him is that his career totals (2140 hits, 300 HRs, 1200 RBI) might be a little low. I think if he can get to 2500 hits, it becomes an interesting discussion.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I don't know why he wouldn't. On the Yankees, he's one of many - with the "true" Yankees of Jeter, Bernie, Rivera, Posada and co getting most of the credit. In Arizona, Randy and Curt were the DBacks, with Randy being the face of the organization from 1999 on. He won numerous MVPs on Arizona as well. I think it would be silly for him to go in as anything other than a DBack. He built the Diamondbacks, the Yankees were already winning championships years before he arrived there.

Fair points, but I have a soft spot for his Mariner years. He and Griffey really did lead the Mariners emergence as a legitimate professional baseball team in the 1990s. They were fun to watch. Johnson had better numbers in Arizona, but he was pitching in the Kingdome and against DH's in the AL...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #15
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
Fair points, but I have a soft spot for his Mariner years. He and Griffey really did lead the Mariners emergence as a legitimate professional baseball team in the 1990s. They were fun to watch. Johnson had better numbers in Arizona, but he was pitching in the Kingdome and against DH's in the AL...
I think it comes down to the fact he won his first title with Arizona. More times than not, a player usually goes in with the team he won his first title with.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #16
ice4277
Pro Rookie

*Patiently awaiting the Tampa Bay Devil Rays HOF discussion thread*
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277

Old 06-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #18
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

No love for Hideki Irabu?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:34 PM   #19
Easy Mac

So it seems to be the consensus that there are no hall worthy players on the Arizona Diamondbacks. Not surprising... but I'm still waiting on Koy Pond or whatever his name is.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #20
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #21
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
So it seems to be the consensus that there are no hall worthy players on the Arizona Diamondbacks. Not surprising... but I'm still waiting on Koy Pond or whatever his name is.

Best shot today is Justin Upton .
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:58 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well the Hall of Fame gets to decide what cap you wear into Cooperstown now, because of Wade Boggs wanting to wear a Devil Rays cap.

So I would suspect they'll choose Mariners, since he started his career there and that's where he made his mark. But I think we'll all think of him at his peak as a Diamondback.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:07 PM   #23
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Well the Hall of Fame gets to decide what cap you wear into Cooperstown now, because of Wade Boggs wanting to wear a Devil Rays cap.

That pisses me off.

I see no problem with Boggs wearing whatever hat he wants.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware

Catcher getting a little frisky?

Last edited by Logan : 06-24-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 PM   #25
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

So I would suspect they'll choose Mariners, since he started his career there and that's where he made his mark. But I think we'll all think of him at his peak as a Diamondback.
Randy played about 9 and a half full seasons in Seattle. In those seasons (with the halfs pro-rated), he averaged a 14-8 record, 210 Ks, 98 BBs and a 3.37 ERA. He was 5/10 in All Star appearances, had one Cy Young and no championships.

He played 6 full seasons in Arizona. In those seasons, he averaged a 17-8 record, 305 Ks, 59 BBs and a 2.64 ERA. He was 5/6 in All Star appearances, had 4 Cy Young awards, 1 World Series MVP, and one championship.

I don't how anyone of sane mind could put Randy in as a Mariner when you look at what he did in 6 years at Arizona compared to 9 at Seattle.

Last edited by Arles : 06-24-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #26
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
I don't how anyone of sane mind could put Randy in as a Mariner when you look at what he did in 6 years at Arizona compared to 9 at Seattle.

I say if he gets in, he goes as a Montreal Expo.

Yeaaaah Canada!
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:57 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
That pisses me off.

I see no problem with Boggs wearing whatever hat he wants.

I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I think what they did sucks, too.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:58 PM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Randy played about 9 and a half full seasons in Seattle. In those seasons (with the halfs pro-rated), he averaged a 14-8 record, 210 Ks, 98 BBs and a 3.37 ERA. He was 5/10 in All Star appearances, had one Cy Young and no championships.

He played 6 full seasons in Arizona. In those seasons, he averaged a 17-8 record, 305 Ks, 59 BBs and a 2.64 ERA. He was 5/6 in All Star appearances, had 4 Cy Young awards, 1 World Series MVP, and one championship.

I didn't realize he was there that long. (in Arizona)
Old 06-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #29
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I think what they did sucks, too.

They had to do it. Boggs let what hat he was going to wear in the hall become a part of his contract negotiations. They couldn't allow that to continue.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote