Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Transsexual cleared to play in Australian Women's Soccer League

Very interesting... now since this person is 47, it may not have that much of an effect, but I wonder what the ultimate consequence will be.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Aussie transsexual cleared to play

Posted: Thursday June 23, 2005 12:55PM; Updated: Thursday June 23, 2005 12:55PM

HOBART, Tasmania (AP) -- A 47-year-old transsexual was cleared to play in an Australian women's soccer league after spending 25 years in men's leagues.

Martine Delaney, who used compete as Martin Delaney, received approval from Soccer Tasmania this week. She had a sex-change operation more than two years ago.

Delaney, a human rights activist for many years, is surprised she has become front-page news in Australia.

"It's not the primary reason I decided to play, but it's given transgender issues some profile -- for sure," Delaney told The Associated Press by telephone. "I've had some wonderful reactions. An elderly lady recognized me and walked up to me, grabbed my arm and told me: 'Congratulations, you've done a good thing -- go for it, girl!"'

Football Federation Australia does not have a specific policy regarding transsexual players. But it advised Tasmanian state authorities that if Delaney was legally classified female, she qualified for the women's competition under guidelines adopted by the International Olympic Committee.

Delaney was tentative about returning to soccer but did so in recent months at the insistence of some girlfriends. She scored a half dozen goals for Claremont United in the women's division 1 competition before rival fans discovered Delaney's past and asked the state association for clarification.

Soccer Tasmania chief executive Martin Shaw gave the OK, saying state laws and the FFA's rules prohibited discrimination in Delaney's case.

Delaney works in a counseling agency for homosexual and transgender people in Hobart. She said she'd heard of Mianne Bagger, the Danish-born Australian who made headlines this year by forcing the European and Australasian women's golf tours to change their "male by birth" qualification criteria.

"My decision was threefold, I suppose," Delaney said. "I had a lifelong love of soccer and wanted to get back; I had some heart problems a few years back and my doctor told me I needed more exercise; and I thought it might make a difference."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-23-2005 at 03:41 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Awright! My quest to become a dominant force in professional sports just got a lot easier. *snip-snip*
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Countdown to Richard Simmons photo in 3... 2....
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Neuqua! I told you that you could do it!!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

This should clear the way nicely for Shorty no?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

You know you are proud of your joke when you PM me making sure I read it.

Bastard.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
You know you are proud of your joke when you PM me making sure I read it.

Bastard.

Joke? what joke?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm not Aussie.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote