Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
PDA question

I just purchased a new Palm Life Drive, which I love more than life itself! But I am confused on something. It has bluetooth, but also has an option on the menu for wifi. What is the difference? Will bluetooth enable me to check my email and surf the web or is that what wifi is for? And if it's wifi, is there a provider (cingular, sprint, tmobile, etc...) that will allow this anywhere or is it only at "wifi hotspots"? I am considering giving up my mobile email/IM device and using the palm for this, but I want to make sure I can access the internet wherever I am. The device came with a 30 day free promotion from t-mobile, but in looking at their website, I'd have to go into a certain store or airport to use the service. I am so confused! Please help!!!!

oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
Tara
Mascot

I think (but not completely sure, cos i've never used my pal for this things) that with bluetooth you can surf, but only if you have a telephone to conect via bluetooth...like the connection via IR.
So i believe that's is the wifi what you need.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

OK - sitting at home I can connect to our wireless network and go to any website I want. So I know the wireless feature on the palm is working properly. However, when I called Cingular (our wireless provider) they said they can't support this device because it doesn't have a SIM card slot...so what company (besides t-mobile with their hot spots) would support this and provide me the connection to wireless "towers" ( I guess that is what they are) when I am out of the house?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
OK - sitting at home I can connect to our wireless network and go to any website I want. So I know the wireless feature on the palm is working properly. However, when I called Cingular (our wireless provider) they said they can't support this device because it doesn't have a SIM card slot...so what company (besides t-mobile with their hot spots) would support this and provide me the connection to wireless "towers" ( I guess that is what they are) when I am out of the house?

If you get a bluetooth enabled cell phone with SIM card and internet service, it'd work. Other than that, I'm not sure.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

Basically, wifi connects to a wireless network and bluetooth connects to another device. If you use bluetooth to connect to a phone though, you can use that to connect to the internet (if your company supports it).

You should be able to use the wifi to connect at any hotspot without using a phone though. You can get a list of free ones online, just google wifi hotspots and a ton of site will pop up that lists them. Most hotspots charge a fee though. You can subscribe monthly or daily most of the time. Usually runs around $9 a day or $40 a month from my experience.

Edit: Just another quick note...bluetooth has pretty limited range compared to wifi. I've been able to pick up wifi access at a Starbucks from a couple shops away. I've had problems with bluetooth connections when about 10 feet away from something (a printer in my case).

Last edited by Bee : 06-23-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Basically, wifi connects to a wireless network and bluetooth connects to another device. If you use bluetooth to connect to a phone though, you can use that to connect to the internet (if your company supports it).

You should be able to use the wifi to connect at any hotspot without using a phone though. You can get a list of free ones online, just google wifi hotspots and a ton of site will pop up that lists them. Most hotspots charge a fee though. You can subscribe monthly or daily most of the time. Usually runs around $9 a day or $40 a month from my experience.

Edit: Just another quick note...bluetooth has pretty limited range compared to wifi. I've been able to pick up wifi access at a Starbucks from a couple shops away. I've had problems with bluetooth connections when about 10 feet away from something (a printer in my case).

Awesome - thank you!!!! I'll keep you posted and let you know if I get confused again!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Darn...I thought oliegirl was asking about public displays of affection. I was going to say "Don't let hands wander beneath clothing until you're alone."

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Sorry AZSpeechCoach! I reserve all those PDA's for radii!!!

I googled wifi hotspots and am even more confused! I know I don't want to use bluetooth, but I am getting confused on finding providers and stuff. I'll probably assign this task to radii tonight - unless some very nice FOFC'er wants to volunteer and post a couple links
Old 06-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

dola - for those of you with wifi connections on your pda's (or whatever), do you find that the hotspots are commonplace and you can usually connect?

If you can't always connect, what technology is it that would allow my ogo device to always be able to check my email and IM? I thought that since that was a wireless device and my pda is also a wireless device, I'd get the same connectivity...