Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
John Galt
Pro Starter

Old Threads and Posts at FOFC

When I was looking at old threads for my post in the Downing Street Memo thread, I ran across some odd posts. Sometimes, it is better to leave the past buried.

This post was at the end of a thread that I was part of, but never saw because I never went back to the thread for one reason or another. mrskippy said: "John Galt ... your tag says you live in Manhatten ... I dread the day a dirty bomb is blasted near your office building and you end up with cancer."

In another thread, I made this bad prediction (and I'm very happy I was wrong): "No, while I've done my share of protesting, I support our troops because as fellow humans, I hope they don't die in this foolish mission in Iraq. I also hope that those of us in NYC survive what are sure to be the inevitable attacks here."

Sadly, in one of my first debates with CamEdwards, he said what many seemed to say to me on this board around the early stages of the Iraq war: "You might disagree with how we're going about waging the war on terror, and that's fine. That's your right as an American. But when you say you won't take sides, may I politely suggest you find another place to live?"

I saw this classic Fritz post at the end of a thread that I had also left behind (directed to Subby): "God also told you to stuff an Almond Joy in your ear, smother your chest in vapor rub and cloves, and walk around in a grass skirt and bunny slippers. Medication my friend, you must take your pills."

And then I ran across this old thread: http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...8&page=4&pp=50
I had forgotten that mrs kippy actually started a thread protesting the banning of HM. It is full of classic stuff including this theAfoci gem:

"I still believe that no one will truly understand HM without experiencing it. He was like Jordan in his prime, except a jackass."

So, reading the last thread made it worthwhile.

John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Troll.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

John Galt, the Midwest is making you a sentimental sap. First the apology thread and now this whimsical walk down memory lane. I can see you now, sitting in some rustic diner in Nowhere, Iowa, decked out in your flannel, while clutching your beat up copy of "Bridges of Madison County" and staring longingly out into the corn fields.

You can never go back to New York. It'd eat you alive...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
John Galt, the Midwest is making you a sentimental sap. First the apology thread and now this whimsical walk down memory lane. I can see you now, sitting in some rustic diner in Nowhere, Iowa, decked out in your flannel, while clutching your beat up copy of "Bridges of Madison County" and staring longingly out into the corn fields.

You can never go back to New York. It'd eat you alive...

Alas, I'm still in an office building typing away. But you are right, I could never go back to NYC. It was never for me.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Troll.

Are you still bitter about the QotM?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Are you still bitter about the QotM?

Are the Jews still bitter about the holocaust? Are the Arabs still bitter about the Jews? Is the South still bitter about the Civil War? Are blacks still bitter about slavery? Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Why? I have been wronged. I have been denied a basic freedom. I have been slighted, and I have had my pursuit of happiness impeded. I have suffered a great loss, and I will not rest until restitution is made.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How far back can you see your posts?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

With that said it would be great if we can read classic dynasties from FOFC past (circa 1998-2005).
Old 06-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
Blackadar
Retired

God, I forgot that it was my post that finally got him suspended and banned. I wish I knew what it was...

..but it was a happy day.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #10
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
How far back can you see your posts?

Only until the beginning of this board. I also did some searching via the waybackmachine.org, but sadly their backups are few and I couldn't get more than a few pages to load.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It appears I can only view 500
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
It appears I can only view 500

I did it by search terms and then looked through threads. Originally, I was looking for "Iraq," but later I tried looking up various things including "Galt." With that, I see posts from the beginning of the board.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Interesting ... this made me think about a post I made about the run up to war where I spelled out my thoughts about the situation and my prognosis. I knew I had made one error based on "faulty intelligence" -- I firmly believed that an invasion of Iraq would lead to a wider conflict when Iraq attacked Israel in response to a US invasion. Except, of course, that apparently Iraq was incapable of launching an attack against anything except conventional wisdom.

I still believe everything else I said. I'm sure there are some other threads out there with incorrect assumptions and prognostications about future events, but my core thoughts at the beginning remain the same.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:11 PM   #14
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Interesting ... this made me think about a post I made about the run up to war where I spelled out my thoughts about the situation and my prognosis. I knew I had made one error based on "faulty intelligence" -- I firmly believed that an invasion of Iraq would lead to a wider conflict when Iraq attacked Israel in response to a US invasion. Except, of course, that apparently Iraq was incapable of launching an attack against anything except conventional wisdom.

I still believe everything else I said. I'm sure there are some other threads out there with incorrect assumptions and prognostications about future events, but my core thoughts at the beginning remain the same.

Yeah, after I read Arles's ridiculous contradiction that I posted in the Downing Street Memo thread, I decided to go back and look at my predictions. I too, thought the conflict would expand into the rest of the Middle East (and it still may), but I didn't find many quotes on that where I was really off base (other than the one I posted in this thread). I did smile though when I saw my quote above and was glad I was wrong about inevitable attacks in New York (*knocking on wood*). It is interesting to go back in time to see what we have said in the past. There are many threads where I know I intended something very different than how I read it now (chiefly the "raising the bar" thread I started). It is a hard thing to look at the past sometimes.

Last edited by John Galt : 06-22-2005 at 04:12 PM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

heh. what's funny is that since I wrote that, you have indeed found another place to live.

New York's loss (or gain) is Iowa's gain (or loss) I guess.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #16
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

and just because I don't want ANYONE to ever forget...

WHEN COCKY AND FUNNY SLIPPED UP
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good old Horns. What a fool.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #18
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Are the Jews still bitter about the holocaust? Are the Arabs still bitter about the Jews? Is the South still bitter about the Civil War? Are blacks still bitter about slavery? Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Why? I have been wronged. I have been denied a basic freedom. I have been slighted, and I have had my pursuit of happiness impeded. I have suffered a great loss, and I will not rest until restitution is made.

Remember tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #19
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Remember tomorrow.

Working on it. Update today or tomorrow. Check the thread.