Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2005, 03:45 AM   #51
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Anyone catch the 30-yard blast from Freddy Guarin? I love seeing FM players on tv.

year 2008 + Freddy + my Wigan team = me happy

Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #52
weinstein7
High School JV

hxxp://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=335724&cc=5901

Link to a recap of the Egypt game.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #53
Critch
lolzcat

Round of 16 game tomorrow, US faces Italy. Italy scrapped through, but apparently looked impressive in their final game where they had to win convincingly over Canada to qualify and duely beat them 4-1. FSC hasn't updated their schedule yet, they've still got TBA for the teams, but I'd guess US v Italy will be their live game at 11.30am ET, probably Brazil v Syria or Germany v China as their tape delayed game at 5pm ET.

Pick of the round looks like Argentina v Colombia on Wednesday.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #54
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Round of 16 game tomorrow, US faces Italy. Italy scrapped through, but apparently looked impressive in their final game where they had to win convincingly over Canada to qualify and duely beat them 4-1. FSC hasn't updated their schedule yet, they've still got TBA for the teams, but I'd guess US v Italy will be their live game at 11.30am ET, probably Brazil v Syria or Germany v China as their tape delayed game at 5pm ET.

Pick of the round looks like Argentina v Colombia on Wednesday.

I thought we looked pretty weak against Egypt (granted we had six subs in) especially considering they played with only 10 men most of the way. And now we're rewarded with Italy - even if they did finish in 3rd, this isn't going to be easy. Wow, Germany, Italy, Argentina ... the boys are definitely going to have to earn it this year.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #55
KevinNU7
College Starter

I may be coming down with a cold and have to stay home tomorrow
Old 06-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #56
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch

It's updated on their website, and confirmed that the US is at 11:30 AM ET Tuesday.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-20-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7

I really do have a cold and an ear infection. Suddenly, they have a positive aspect to them
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #58
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7

Coincidentally, I'm working from home tomorrow. Brazil v Syria is the second game.

Germany v Argentina in the Confederations Cup is also on FSC at 2.30pm. I know it's a meaningless tournament with no other reason to exist other than being a FIFA money-maker, but it could be a good game.

Last edited by Critch : 06-20-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll avoid spoilers, but this has been a very interesting match between Italy and the USA so far.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #60
MJ4H
Coordinator

Any link to somewhere I can follow it on the web since I don't get this particular brand of fox
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #61
weinstein7
High School JV

There's a java applet at ussoccer.com
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #62
MJ4H
Coordinator

Beautiful. Thanks
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #63
moriarty
College Starter

Well I assume if you're in this thread you don't care about spoilers, but just in case.

SPOILER ALERT

Ugh, what a dreadful way to bow out of the tournament. I put the blame for this one squarely on Spector. I think he's a good player, but he was dreadful in this one. He did his best to give away a goal in the first half, and you could make a claim he could have done better than ducking on the first goal he knocked in (and possibly blocked the third). But the second goal was just an idiot move. If you try to make a run up from center back with 3-4 Italian players behind you ... you can NOT just give up the ball (or at least clobber someone if you do). He was outmanned in the air all game, and really put pressure on his own keeper several times.

Overall thoughts:
Gaven never showed up for this tournament. Did he even play today? He was invisible the whole tournment except when giving up the ball or diving in the box.

The US lacked any strikers who actually could create fear in the defense. We probably would have been better with Freddy up front the entire time - at least they had to respect him.

Best two tourney players for the US IMO: Wynne (obvious - he's raw, but his speed is amazing, someone is gonna pick this guy up and soon), and Filehaver (or however you spell his name) - he controlled the midfield well and was consistently good throughout.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-21-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:04 AM   #64
daedalus
Pro Rookie

For the people who saw Wynne, how good was he? What was he like? Some of the people on the BigSoccer Arsenal board seemed really excited about him.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #65
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
For the people who saw Wynne, how good was he? What was he like? Some of the people on the BigSoccer Arsenal board seemed really excited about him.

Well, the first thing you notice is that he's fast ... very fast. I didn't see a faster guy on the pitch the entire tournament. He's very dangerous on forward runs up the right due to his speed, and has very quick recovery speed when an attacker gets behind him. But he also has quick reflexes. He made several 'dangerous' (IMO) tackles that he ended up winning because he was so quick at poking the ball away.

He also seems to be very athletic. He gets up high to win headers, and he often heads with a lot of authority ... clearing the ball way out. He also has one of the longest/strongest throw-ins I've ever seen. His dad is a former major league baseball player, so you know he has athletic genes.

The downside: They say he's pretty raw technically. I think this shows up in his positioning sometimes, as he tends to drift out of position ... but has the recovery speed to make up for it. A couple of times he lunged needlessly too, but so did half the team. Perhaps the area it showed up most though was in his crosses. Time after time he'd sprint down the right into open space only to make a dreadful cross back into the box. If he can get this worked out ... he could be real good. He doesn't look to be real tall (not sure on his height), but he does have a good build.

Considering he's fairly new to the big stage (he was only called up to the national team recently, and I'm not sure how long he's been playing soccer) ... he looks like he has huge potential. I'm sure his speed alone will get the boys on the BigSoccer Arsenal board fired up. Get this guy in training with a major team and he's gonna be a force ... at least I think.