Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Anyone played Second and Ten?

It's a computer simulation using past seasons, like the old Statis Pro and Strat-o-matic football tabletop games. Says it has every NFL season since the 50s included.

http://www.roogames.co.uk/

And it's a British company??? I haven't had time to mess with the demo much, but seems good so far. Anyone played this before?

ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

There was a thread on it sometime ago. I downloaded and played it for a bit but moved on, don't really remember why.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Colt - the p.c. version is programmed by a Brit company, but the backbone of the engine is the tabletop great First and Ten, one of the best pieces of free tabletop gaming I've ever seen.

That said, it was a lot more involved (on the tabletop) than I felt the need to be, so the p.c. version was more my style ... except that I found the pricetag to be too steep for my own wants (I'm more of a career/campaign player, it's more of a replay game year by year).

If that style suits you though, I don't believe you'll find a better researched nor more playable game than SaT, and put together by one of the best people I've seen in the tabletop genre.

If you need a hook-up for more info, lemme know, I can point you to a couple of places.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

I like the feel of the game, a college version is due out later this year and career play is to be added though no timetable for that at this time.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
CraigSca
Pro Starter

The game itself is a re-write of an American's tabletop game, so the fact that it's British is no big deal.

The game is very good and very realistic. It is very much a replay game, but it has a lot of bang for the buck considering it gives you 50 seasons for free.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

True, it is a bit pricy but I think that I have from 1950-today worth of seasons or close to that. For me, it has a great feel of the game.....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Jon - I would love more information on it. I'll actually be in Britain for 2 months starting tomorrow for a job. I'll probably order it while I'm over there (unless it's a download, but I hope it's on disc)

I'm going to play around with the demo some more in a minute.

thanks in advance for any info!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's a disc, lemme find a couple of links & I'll hook you up.

There's 3 forums at Delphi that will be helpful in some form or fashion I believe.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/tabletopsports/start
http://forums.delphiforums.com/seasonspast/start
http://forums.delphiforums.com/roogames/start

The first two are general tabletop forums, the 3rd is Roogames forum.
Oddly though, the first two had much more talk about Second and Ten (and it's predecessor) than the actual developers forum.

The guy you want to look up is PONIEWAZ, he's a regular on the first two forums & shouldn't be hard to find. You may have to scroll back quite a way to find the meatier discussions though (somone mentioned just this weekend that the end of the season had really cooled what had been a very hot topic)

You might also take a look around Wayne's personal gaming site
http://www.tabletopsportsgames.homes...ortsGames.html
There's a link in there to email him directly, I'm sure he'd be happy to try to answer any gameplay questions (often along with a suggestion that you download & look over First and Ten, because understanding it really is the key to understanding what's going on under the SaT hood) -- on the Roogames forum, I believe RichardH is the programmer for any techie questions.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-14-2005 at 09:31 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Thanks. I always loved Statis Pro (I'm taking a season to England with me, I just can't decide which) but it is a long process to play so I'm looking for an easier way to do season replays from time to time.

thanks for the links
Old 06-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy
Thanks. I always loved Statis Pro (I'm taking a season to England with me, I just can't decide which) but it is a long process to play so I'm looking for an easier way to do season replays from time to time.

thanks for the links

Well heck, then you already know how to read FACS & charts
If you haven't already discovered it, be sure to check out http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php

Jeff Downey's forum is about the best free tabletop sports gaming resource on the web. Among the enormous amount of goodies in the d'load section: rules for playing SP with dice, and 43 other add-ons, alternate charts and other utilities.

edit: Of course, after typing this, I realized that you prolly meant SP football instead of baseball (which I was talking about) but there's a handful of goodies for the gridiron version as well.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-14-2005 at 09:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #11
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Thanks for the website. I love Bomber's page on Statis Pro Football. I can't wait for them to get the '87 set up. It's the only 80s set I don't have (and ironically, the only year in the 80s the Colts made the playoffs)

I would love to find a way to do football with dice.

Great site, thanks!
Old 06-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy
I would love to find a way to do football with dice.

Hopefully, this will make more sense to you than it does to me
But I think it might do the trick.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...rts&msg=6953.5