Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Lightbulb Forza MotorSports?

Anyone buy this game for X-Box? Opinions? Praises? Gripes?

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
TLK
Pro Starter

Check here....

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=38398
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
moriarty
College Starter

I was thinking about picking this one up myself. There hasn't been a post in that link for a while, I wonder if folks are still playing it.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I've been trying to buy it off eBay for a while now, I have heard real good things about this game.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #5
Toddiec
Mascot

I have it and really enjoy it. I liked it just as much (maybe more with the "driving line" they put in that really helps me out) as Gran Tourismo 4. Well worth the money in my opinion if you like those kind of games.
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I still play it at least a few times a week. The "driving line" really helps me out as well. It is by far my favorite pure racing game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
Galaril
Pro Starter

How does it drive with the Xbox controls? Do you really need a driving wheel controller?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It plays fine without one, but I bought a driving wheel controller and enjoy using it.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
Toddiec
Mascot

No driving wheel controller for me. It handles just fine in my opinion, but I have always used the standard controllers so I could just be used to it.

Last edited by Toddiec : 06-14-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
I've been trying to buy it off eBay for a while now

Yeah me too. Didn't have the money the moment it came out, so I started to search the eBay. There are a lot here, I hope I am able to buy it soon... I want to join the FOFC Car Club... BTW, is the club still running???
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
Yeah me too. Didn't have the money the moment it came out, so I started to search the eBay. There are a lot here, I hope I am able to buy it soon... I want to join the FOFC Car Club... BTW, is the club still running???

Well, I know I'm still racing (albeit not that great online.)

So at least part of the club is still running.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #12
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano

Just got outbid once again.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #13
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I still play it at least a few times a week. The "driving line" really helps me out as well. It is by far my favorite pure racing game.

I'll second this. That driving line is very much appreciated on my end.

I haven't been able to go online lately (busy with work and stuff), but I was pretty much racing online for quite a bit in the earlier stages. The only time I got 1st place, was when I was racing against two people, who seemed oblivious to the fact that I was racing with them...I could hear them chit chat, I think it was more of a casual game...but still fun.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

I love it, but my copy has mysteriously vanished from inside my Xbox. I may have to use some of my retail prize shop points to get it back
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I haven't touched the game in a few weeks, but that's just because I've been doing other things. It is a great game, and we'll get any interested people from the board into the FOFC car club, even though we don't really do anything as a club.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #16
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I love it, but my copy has mysteriously vanished from inside my Xbox. I may have to use some of my retail prize shop points to get it back

Inside your Xbox itself??

I had a DVD scratched up, because it got 'stuck' within the XBox. Needless to say, I was *seriously* pissed off. Thought I'd have to disassemble the case, but I ended up shaking it out of there.

That's what I get for not removing my game discs from those tray loaders. Probably one of the reasons why I invested in the PStwo..
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Now, is Forza's learning curve/gameplay easier that GT4'S? Im looking for a fun game to play not a race car sim.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #18
Toddiec
Mascot

I thought it was a lot easier to play than GT4 due to the driving line. I could do pretty well in GT4 until the higher end races where I couldn't just upgrade my car to twice as much HP as everyone else to compensate for my driving inability. With Forza and the driving line I can run competitively even in the races where we are all racing the same unmodded cars. It really helped me out.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Inside your Xbox itself??

I had a DVD scratched up, because it got 'stuck' within the XBox. Needless to say, I was *seriously* pissed off. Thought I'd have to disassemble the case, but I ended up shaking it out of there.

No, nothing that dastardly (I'm pretty sure my MVP wouldn't have been playing if another game was stuck in there).

As it turns out, my brother removed it when he was testing my new surround sound system, and it got placed into an empty jewel case on my stereo.

So, mystery solved, I have my game back, hurrah hurrah.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #20
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Two things I want to know about before I spend the dough on this one.

1) How is the opponent AI? (I won't be playing it online) Do the other cars just plow into you, or do they hold lines in turns?

2) How is the collision/damage modelling? One of the things that always bugged my about GT was the fact that there is no damage.

I bought Apex when it came out and liked the concept, but the collision modelling + AI was absolutely horrendous. The AI cars would just plow into you on the turns, and there was this little quirk that whenever you made contact with an AI car that it would somehow knock you back behind the other car. VERY frustrating.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:44 AM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
Two things I want to know about before I spend the dough on this one.

1) How is the opponent AI? (I won't be playing it online) Do the other cars just plow into you, or do they hold lines in turns?

2) How is the collision/damage modelling? One of the things that always bugged my about GT was the fact that there is no damage.

I bought Apex when it came out and liked the concept, but the collision modelling + AI was absolutely horrendous. The AI cars would just plow into you on the turns, and there was this little quirk that whenever you made contact with an AI car that it would somehow knock you back behind the other car. VERY frustrating.

I found the AI to be very good. They aren't the mindless robots like in GT. if you have the rear view mirror turned on, you can see them darting back and forth to try and pass you. And they will use dirty tactics as well, like tapping your rear fender to try and make you spin out. I found it to be very realistic.

As for the damage modelling, it is not as advanced as I would like it to be. It is still impossible to destroy a car in a single crash. But the damage is reflected and does accumulate. If you lose a wing, you will see it each time you pass it on the track.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #22
Toddiec
Mascot

I agree on the AI. I remember a race where I just could not pull away from a car for the first five laps but I always managed to move in front of him when he tried to get around me by using the rear view mirror. On the last turn of the sixth and final lap I knew he couldn't get around me if I stuck to the inside of the track so what did he do....he nudged my left fender and sent me spinning into the wall. I was in first and ended up finishing fourth. After much cussing I thought...wow that was some good AI.

An example of the damage modeling was another race I was running and I had a pretty good lead and just lost concentration about 3/4 of the way through. I didn't brake soon enough going into a turn and slid into the wall doing about 50 or 60mph. I always play with the bumper camera view so I couldn't see the car damage, but I knew I screwed up the alignment because the car kept pulling to the left for the rest of the race and my max speed was reduced by about 15 mph. I watched the replay at the end of the race and the car was looking pretty ragged by the time I got to the finish line.