Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Madden on the Move Again

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2085825

NEW YORK -- John Madden will join NBC as a game analyst when the network begins televising its newly acquired Sunday night football package in 2006.

The network scheduled an afternoon teleconference with Madden to make the announcement. Madden will remain with ABC's "Monday Night Football" for the 2005 season.

"John Madden is the best analyst in the history of the National Football League and, in my opinion, the best analyst of any kind in sports television history,"' said Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics. "John is much more than a football legend, he's an American icon."

Madden has spent the past three seasons teamed with Al Michaels on ABC's "Monday Night Football."

"I have been doing this a long time and when I went to ABC to do 'Monday Night Football,' I thought I would finish my career there," Madden said. "But when the NFL did this new television deal, I looked at 'NBC's Sunday Night Football' package, and I thought this really fits me well."

Before joining ABC, Madden teamed with Pat Summerall to call Fox's lead game from 1994-2001. They were the top NFL announcing team on CBS for 13 seasons before that.

Known for his folksy style and his love of football's grit and grime, Madden has won 14 Sports Emmys.

The former Oakland Raiders coach — he led them to a win over Minnesota in the 1977 Super Bowl — has become a pop-culture phenomenon thanks in large part to the popularity of his video game "Madden NFL Football." Since its initial release in 1989, the game has sold more than 43 million copies and become the No. 1 selling sports video game of all time.

NBC is reportedly paying $600 million for a six-year contract that will allow the network to broadcast the NFL's Sunday night game starting with the 2006 season. The Sunday night game was previously shown on ESPN, which will now televise the Monday night game.

NBC also gets two first-round playoff games and the Super Bowl in 2009 and 2012 as part of the deal.

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

WTF?! Who still wants to listen to this pantload.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Whatever works for him, I guess. He's just wanting to say he's worked for all the networks, maybe? I dunno...I'm sure the price was right.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
KevinNU7
College Starter

What the hell is he going to talk about on NBC if he is covering mostly AFC games? All the guy ever talks about is the NFC team in the game. He blows
Old 06-15-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
What the hell is he going to talk about on NBC if he is covering mostly AFC games? All the guy ever talks about is the NFC team in the game. He blows

The Sunday Night game on NBC will be just like the Monday night games in that it will have teams from both conferences.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

NBC will bring class to NFL coverage though. Remember Costas' introductions during the WS when NBC had them.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
NBC will bring class to NFL coverage though. Remember Costas' introductions during the WS when NBC had them.

Madden is a step completely in the opposite direction of that. He's awful. Boomer Esiason was an easy choice here.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This is sad to say about a guy who brought the Raiders the Lombardi Trophy. He was probably brought in because of Madden NFL, not because he's a great commentator.

That being said, his commentary in Madden NFL is strangely like his real-life commentary (which is horrible).
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:21 PM   #9
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Madden is a step completely in the opposite direction of that. He's awful. Boomer Esiason was an easy choice here.

Boomer? Boomer!? Are you nuts. He sucks. Just awful.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Boomer? Boomer!? Are you nuts. He sucks. Just awful.

bah, he's the only coherent one out there.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Personally,I was hoping for a 3-person booth with Shannon Sharpe, Michael Irvin, and Deion Sanders (assuming he's retired by then). With Stephen A. Smith on the sidelines. Oh well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Personally,I was hoping for a 3-person booth with Shannon Sharpe, Michael Irvin, and Deion Sanders (assuming he's retired by then). With Stephen A. Smith on the sidelines. Oh well.

Sorry they've been assigned to Olympic coverage which sadly you do not watch.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Sorry they've been assigned to Olympic coverage which sadly you do not watch.

What a waste.

Just wait for that atrocious World Baseball Cup crap when it interrupts spring training next year. I'm going to either vomit or shit all over it. Mark it down!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #14
jbmagic
Pro Starter

isnt Madden getting up there in age.

he has to be in his late 60's
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup

How awful would that be? About the only way it could get any worse is special guest apperances by Terry, Howie, and Jimmy Kimmel.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote