Simpsons 58 53.70%
Family Guy 50 46.30%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #51
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Even though the Simpsons has gone to crap, I still watch it. I can't watch FG. It just doesn't amuse me at all.

The Simpsons in it's heyday was the best comedy in history. But those days are lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng gone now.

I agree with the alien.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #52
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I agree with the alien.

I concur fully with the alien and the butterman. They have shown true wisdom and good taste.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #53
st.cronin
General Manager

Arguing that Family Guy is better than the Simpsons isn't like arguing that Bonds is better than Cobb. It's like arguing that John Tudor was better than Babe Ruth.

I think anybody who prefers Family Guy over the Simpsons (even now) just isn't smart enough to get the humor of the Simpsons - the show aims too high for them or something.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #54
kurtism
High School Varsity

Today, I learned that a sense of humor is not relative, or personal, or unique, but in fact directly linked to your intellect. Thanks, st. cronin!
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #55
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I think anybody who prefers Family Guy over the Simpsons (even now) just isn't smart enough to get the humor of the Simpsons - the show aims too high for them or something.
I think anyone who would make a statement like this wouldn't know funny if it bit them in the vulva...

Humor is subjective, you humorless git...but maybe you just aren't smart enough to get that...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 AM   #56
st.cronin
General Manager

hehehe
Old 06-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #57
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

It is interesting that, by far, most of the posts in this thread are for Family Guy, but The Simpsons still have the lead in the poll.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #58
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Arguing that Family Guy is better than the Simpsons isn't like arguing that Bonds is better than Cobb. It's like arguing that John Tudor was better than Babe Ruth.

I always though the people who dont like FG usually dont like how FG is willing to dip into more conversatival areas then The Simpsons. The thing with FG is it takes two or three eposides to really understand it.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-14-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #59
MikeVic
Head Coach

The thing about Simpsons being less edgy is false isn't it? Back when Simpsons came out, wasn't it viewed as being edgy and controversial? Maybe my memory is remembering it wrong...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #60
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
It is interesting that, by far, most of the posts in this thread are for Family Guy, but The Simpsons still have the lead in the poll.

That's because Family Guy is the younger sister who keeps pulling on the brother's jacket saying "can I play, too". Sure, if he agrees, they play the same game but they're not in the same league.

Family Guy fans could claim The Simpsons are overrated (not really) or that it's lost its luster (very true) to try to bring it down to their level. But in the end, Family Guy is still a show that doesn't get many ratings outside of the 18-25yo demographic, is based on inside jokes and proprietary humor, and has no depth: no emotional arc, no compelling stories, just jokes loosely strung together by a random story. On it's best day, Family Guy may be funny and that's all it will ever be but on The Simpsons best day, it was all of those things.

These days, the Simpsons has become what Family Guy is- shallow quick hitters, playing to the lowest common denominator. All this poll shows is that the Simpsons have fallen a long way. Sure, there were players better than MJ the last year he was in the league. But that wasn't because they were as great as he was in his prime, it was because he had fallen to their level.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #61
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
That's because Family Guy is the younger sister who keeps pulling on the brother's jacket saying "can I play, too". Sure, if he agrees, they play the same game but they're not in the same league.

Family Guy fans could claim The Simpsons are overrated (not really) or that it's lost its luster (very true) to try to bring it down to their level. But in the end, Family Guy is still a show that doesn't get many ratings outside of the 18-25yo demographic, is based on inside jokes and proprietary humor, and has no depth: no emotional arc, no compelling stories, just jokes loosely strung together by a random story. On it's best day, Family Guy may be funny and that's all it will ever be but on The Simpsons best day, it was all of those things.

These days, the Simpsons has become what Family Guy is- shallow quick hitters, playing to the lowest common denominator. All this poll shows is that the Simpsons have fallen a long way. Sure, there were players better than MJ the last year he was in the league. But that wasn't because they were as great as he was in his prime, it was because he had fallen to their level.

SI

Good post.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #62
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

SI

Excellent post.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #63
timmynausea
College Starter

More like the Family Guy is the younger sister pulling at the sleeve of the rotting corpse.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #64
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow, very close.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:25 PM   #65
st.cronin
General Manager

The main edge the Simpsons has over Family Guy (or any other TV show, except for perhaps West Wing, Sopranos, ER and perhaps a few others) is its rewatchability quotient. There are episodes from it's prime that I may have seen 5 times, yet it still feels fresh and new.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #66
Kobeck
n00b

Lois is hot, not Jessica Rabbit hot though, and it appears that Brian not only has a thing for Lois, but for Meg as well.

Having said that Simpsons rule. Even Futurama is better than Family Guy.

Last edited by Kobeck : 06-14-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote