Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #1
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
PDA Question

I currently have an OLD Zire 71 which I use for my planner/addresses/etc..and an ogo device that is for email only. We pay $20.99 a month for ogo on top of our regular wireless plan. My question is this - is there a way to upgrade my old PDA to handle email/internet or would we have to upgrade the device?

If we have to upgrade the device, does anyone know where I could get one cheap? I was looking at the Treo 650 - phone and internet capable PDA...but they are about $300-$400 through Cingular, and pretty much the same prices on ebay...any help???

oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
Pyser
Pro Rookie

hmm...this has nothing to do with making out in public...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If it's a Zire, it's not old. I still have my Palm IIIc.

I'm pretty sure it can handle email / Internet. I know I could buy an adapter that let my Palm IIIc hook up to my cellphone (at the time, Sprint) and use its net access. It was something like $50 for the adapter, cable, and software.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
I I was looking at the Treo 650 - phone and internet capable PDA...but they are about $300-$400 through Cingular, and pretty much the same prices on ebay...any help???

FWIW, I have a Treo 650 and it rocks. When I travel I don't even need to take my laptop with me, this works just fine for internet/email and even simple Word and Excel docs.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
My question is this - is there a way to upgrade my old PDA to handle email/internet or would we have to upgrade the device?

If your main priority is handling e-mails/internet, Treo is the way to go. I have the 600, works great and you can setup until 5 e-mail accounts. The browser is integrated. I think in the States you can get the 600 for a very cheap price.
The 650 has better display, bluetooth and other new stuff but it came out in March so the price it's still a bit high. Well, always less than Europe. Here, they're selling the 650 for like 700 Euros (840 bucks)...

Also, for e-mails and surfing, there is the T-Mobile Sidekick. I've never touched one because they don't sell it here, but I've read some reviews and it seems a good device. It's also cheaper than the Treo, but from what I've read on the T-Mobile site you have to purchase a phone plan with the device. Obviously, it's a less professional solution than the Treo 600/650.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
rjolley
College Starter

The Sidekick II is a great device. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a PDA, but it does provide a good combination of a phone and email device, with web surfing capabilities.

In the same line, the Blackberry devices provide the same functionality, but with less "cool". I have a 7510 from work and ordered a 7100t from TMobile a couple of weeks ago.

They're all good devices, just depends on what you want to do with it. I've found the Sidekick II to be more fun with the games that are available for it, including a recreation of the classic Mattel football handheld. The Blackberrys have software available for it, but I haven't found any that I'd want to pay more than a few dollars for...and they all seem to be $10+.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
Tara
Mascot

I've a Zire71 too and I find It great, but i don't need to check e-mail away from my pc.
So that is enough for me.
As Emiliano said if you are interested in all-in-one device (organizer & internet ) Treo is a good choice. I've seen how it works and it is really a nice object. Moreover it is also a mobile telephone and this means less devices in your bag.
The only problem with Treo600 is the screen. The lower resolution can be a little disappointing if compared with the zire one.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I have a sidekick II and I am considering changing to a treo 650 because I want something different. From all ive read they are both great devices but the Treo seems to be the more "professional" of the two. The sidekick has been great for me and Ive upgraded from Sidekick I B/W > Sidekick I Color > Sidekick II, so its safe to say i know this device. Im ready for something new though.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
I have a sidekick II and I am considering changing to a treo 650 because I want something different. From all ive read they are both great devices but the Treo seems to be the more "professional" of the two. The sidekick has been great for me and Ive upgraded from Sidekick I B/W > Sidekick I Color > Sidekick II, so its safe to say i know this device. Im ready for something new though.

I love the Sidekick. Never touched one, but I really like the design. I wish they would sell it here in Europe... Just out of curiosity: how is the PDA part? I don't know if you ever used a Palm device to compare the two, just a quick "review" for an hi-tech maniac like me...
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #10
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I havent used a palm product. The sidekick II is great for the things I do, shoot off text messages, quick emails, quick internet searches (movie times, mapquest, etc..). I just want something that looks different with more room for customizing. The sidekick II even with my developers key is really locked down. I may stick with the sidekick and wait for the third version but the treo is really tempting me.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
hmm...this has nothing to do with making out in public...

I'm all for it!